Author Topic: Netflix  (Read 10998 times)

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
Re: Netflix
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2011, 09:28:06 AM »
As if they hadn't destroyed a lot of goodwill already, now they reverse themselves.  I'm still bitter that they promised almost unlimited streaming content and never delivered.  If they had just explained the financial and contractual challenges they faced a lot better in the beginning, I think many of their subscribers would have been more understanding.

But as it is, the classic case of over-promising and under-delivering.

Totally agree. The thing that I think really rubbed everyone the wrong way was the lack of straight talk about the reason behind the price hike and later the proposed division of services. And then all the smoke and mirrors of "This is going to better for you, the customer!" followed by a very hollow and weird mea culpa that completely glossed over the actual issue.

If they'd just said something like, "Look, mailing these discs costs us a $1 apiece. And perhaps you've heard of how the Postal Service is on the verge of collapse as it is? Raising our rates and/or dividing our services is not a money grab. It's an attempt to keep the business you have long appreciated viable. We understand that the extra bucks/hassle of handling streaming and discs separately is not something you're going to be excited about, but if you like us and you want us to continue to provide the service you've come to depend on, this is something we need to do to remain in business."

How hard is that?