Author Topic: Netflix  (Read 10987 times)

Offline LizR

• Email
Re: Netflix
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 10:42:17 AM »
No way they'll change your pricing if you're already subscribed.

Oh yes they will! Or at least that is what we understood from the message we received as well.

Lorenzo - we do basically the same thing that you do. Even though it is only a few bucks more, it is a bad PR move IMHO. We were really fairly annoyed by this and also considered just dumping them, even though we do love them.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 10:55:17 AM »
NYT article:http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/technology/netflix-raises-price-of-dvd-and-online-movies-package.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha26

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 11:58:36 AM »
NYT article:http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/technology/netflix-raises-price-of-dvd-and-online-movies-package.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha26

Yep - got an email that they're raising prices if you have both streaming and DVD rental. Dropping the DVD side.

Offline loveATL

• Email
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 12:29:22 PM »
They really need to synch their streaming with their DVD library.  I'm just going to cancel it all for now.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 01:16:12 PM »
I like my Roku, so I'll probably keep the streaming side unless they keep stalling releases. BTW, if you do a bit of shopping on Amazon and you want to pay for Amazon Prime, then a good deal of movies on Amazon streaming become free. Since Prime is $79 a year, you'll get a bit of a cheaper deal than Netflix, but I think there's more of a selection on Netflix. But Prime gives you free 2-day shipping. Might be a better deal for some.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 03:18:03 PM »
Wow, talk about a bummer.  Glad I cancelled a while ago.

Offline cuechick

• Piewacket Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 09:26:03 PM »
I canceled for now. I was on the fence about it and had put my account on hold. Last movie I streamed, kept having to reload, very frustrating. This just helped me decide. Redbox is a good alternative for DVD's at $1 a pop. There are also other streaming choices... Amazon for one.
Fresh Pie!

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 09:51:50 AM »
I looked at Redbox's web site, and it sounds to me like they only offer newer movies.  We rarely watch new releases.  Some of what we order on DVD is old and/or obscure but not currently available via streaming.  Now I'm wondering if we may need to suck it up and stick with Netflix.  I really hate to do that, as I feel they are not treating their existing customers very well by forcing us to either pay 60% more for what we've been getting or choose between streaming and DVD.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »
I looked at Redbox's web site, and it sounds to me like they only offer newer movies.  We rarely watch new releases.  Some of what we order on DVD is old and/or obscure but not currently available via streaming.  Now I'm wondering if we may need to suck it up and stick with Netflix.  I really hate to do that, as I feel they are not treating their existing customers very well by forcing us to either pay 60% more for what we've been getting or choose between streaming and DVD.

Go over to Amazon Prime and look at their stuff. I'm thinking of going that way and shutting down Netflix before September. As much as Redbox has a decent price, you are depending on what you want being in the box you're at, and the biggest problem I've seen with dvd rental - bad discs. At least with streaming, if you have a good internet connection you can get a decent download.

Offline cuechick

• Piewacket Blog
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 01:58:21 PM »

I would then probably go with DVD only... you will save money that way.
Fresh Pie!

Offline totm

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 09:03:08 AM »
I looked at Redbox's web site, and it sounds to me like they only offer newer movies.  We rarely watch new releases.  Some of what we order on DVD is old and/or obscure but not currently available via streaming.
Not everything in the Box is a new release.  We've mistakenly rented movies from the Box that were 10-15 years old.  Probably not as old as you are looking for.  As for obscure, I remember seeing, but never got around to renting, "Get Low" with Robert Duvall and Bill Murray which if I remember correctly only showed on the big screen at the artsy house type theaters.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline cuechick

• Piewacket Blog
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 09:46:43 AM »
I remember seeing, but never got around to renting, "Get Low" with Robert Duvall and Bill Murray which if I remember correctly only showed on the big screen at the artsy house type theaters.

Good movie!
Fresh Pie!

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 01:09:08 PM »
Our first Redbox experience is not going smoothly.  First, we find that not all movies that are listed on the web site as being available can be rented from one's nearest Redbox--certain movies are only available at certain locations.  Then, we find we can't undo an order--once your finger makes that click, even if it turns out not to be the movie you thought you selected, your card is charged.  There is no confirmation page that shows the movie you selected and asks "are you sure" before it charges your card.  Rather, our confirmation came via e-mail, and only then did we see that it was not the movie I swear we had clicked on.  We had to call Customer Service, only to be hung up on by the first rude operator, who insisted that it was user error and Redbox is not responsible.  We had to call back and speak to a supervisor, who was able to undo the transaction.  I kind of like the Netflix "queue" that you can add to and modify, including the next DVD to be shipped.

I'm beginning to think "you get what you pay for," and that $16/month for Netflix's easy-to-use DVD-plus-streaming plan is not so bad.

Come to think of it, I'm starting to wax nostalgic about the days when you would go to the Blockbuster store and browse the aisles.

Offline totm

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 02:51:38 PM »
Our first Redbox experience is not going smoothly.  First, we find that not all movies that are listed on the web site as being available can be rented from one's nearest Redbox--certain movies are only available at certain locations.  Then, we find we can't undo an order--once your finger makes that click, even if it turns out not to be the movie you thought you selected, your card is charged.  There is no confirmation page that shows the movie you selected and asks "are you sure" before it charges your card.  Rather, our confirmation came via e-mail, and only then did we see that it was not the movie I swear we had clicked on.  We had to call Customer Service, only to be hung up on by the first rude operator, who insisted that it was user error and Redbox is not responsible.  We had to call back and speak to a supervisor, who was able to undo the transaction.
<snip>
Come to think of it, I'm starting to wax nostalgic about the days when you would go to the Blockbuster store and browse the aisles.
I've never used the online Box.  Only the physical Box itself.  Sorry you had a bad experience.

Personally, I wax nostalgic for the days of browsing the aisles of Hollywood Video.  Had bad experiences with rude employees at our closest Blockbuster.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »
Netflix streaming video has been down since 5PM - all over the world. And they were giving Amazon crap for being down in April...