Author Topic: What's better?? A tomato that was canned while in season, or a fresh gassed...  (Read 2147 times)

Offline terry

One of my friends in the industry asked this on his FB, "What's better?? A tomato that was canned while in season, or a fresh gassed tomato that is not in season.... Hum. ???"

Just thought I'd share this.

Comments:
"There is absolutely nothing worse or more tasteless than an out of season tomato!!!"

"Tomato season is late June to August. So why is it that people still want tomatoes on their salad ??? I don't think a canned tomato would be right. I HATE the alternative."

"I hate tomatoes. They are worse than whale to me. (southpark reference, you either get it or don't) Seriously, I don't like tomatoes. However, someone told me that a smart man knows that a tomato is a fruit, while a wise man knows not to put it in fruit salad."
technical writer, webmaster and P/T chef at a restaurant OTP

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
I don't think they are interchangeable. But i would rather have no tomato than an out of season gassed tomato.

Offline totm

A canned while in season tomato can at least be used for a sauce/ragu.  Fresh gassed has no use at all.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
Would it make the poster who said "Tomato season is late June to August" jealous if I told them I picked off several dozen tomatoes off my vines today?  Today as in October 24th.

Offline bettylouski

Would it make the poster who said "Tomato season is late June to August" jealous if I told them I picked off several dozen tomatoes off my vines today?  Today as in October 24th.

I still have quite a few on my vines as well.  It seems that they had a resurgence once the weather cooled just a bit.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
I still have quite a few on my vines as well.  It seems that they had a resurgence once the weather cooled just a bit.

Yep, it goes to show that temperature plays a huge part in tomato growth.  That's air temperature AND soil temperature (container gardening).