Author Topic: Pig Roast  (Read 5521 times)

Offline LizR

• Email
Pig Roast
« on: October 19, 2010, 10:38:57 AM »
DH has been threatening for years to put together a pig roast. Now it looks like things might be coming together rather sudddenly for this Saturday. I'm thinking less than 20 people (unless some of you want to drop by!). We have researched it online and a electric spit seems too expensive for such a small gathering. A long underground bake is probably too labor intensive. I'm all for cooking a suckling pig in our oven, but DH really, really wants to play with fire outdoors.

Any tips or thoughts on possible cooking methods, or combination of cooking methods? Brine? Stuff? Rub?Baste?

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
Re: Pig Roast
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 10:56:33 AM »
It might be better for your backyard to rent a smoker trailer - Mike or BBQGeek may be able to do a hook-up for y'all. A suckling pig should fit easily on one.

No clue on the treatment of said pig, but I'd be happy to stop by and judge the results... :)

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 06:52:50 AM »
A suckling pig will probably not weigh more than 20 pounds and should fit on a large weber.

I would salt it inside and out and then leave it, uncovered, in the fridge for 24 hours.  This will help you get super crispy skin.

For me, I like it porchetta-style, stuffed with lots of herbs.

Good luck and take photos!

Oh, and if seems to be taking way too long on the grill, you can always finish it in the oven.  I don't think it should taste super smoked, unless that's what you're going for.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 07:35:39 AM »
Processed, how much meat would a suckling pig provide (in general)?

Offline catfishTyphoon

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 08:53:11 AM »
A suckling pig will probably not weigh more than 20 pounds and should fit on a large weber.

It will be right at 20 pounds. Any idea how long it might take?  We were at a roast in SF where the timing was way too optimistic.  That and alcohol is a good recipe for drunkenness...

Offline totm

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 12:23:56 PM »
From what I've been able to find a whole suckling pig will yield slightly less than a serving per pre-cooked pound.  If even that much.   And one should be cooked very indirect, preferably on a rotisserie so that all sides get even heat.  Cooking time should be about 5 hours for a 20 lb piggie.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 12:53:10 PM »
The good news is that the pig is in our shower : the bad news is that tbe pig is frozen and 28 pounds.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 06:55:17 PM »
I suppose you could hack his head off and do that in the oven and "re=connect" with a rosemary/bay leaf wreath.

A headless pig in the shower would put Hitchcock to shame.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 09:22:23 PM »
where did you source piggy Liz?

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 09:49:13 PM »

A headless pig in the shower would put Hitchcock to shame.

Eh, in college I had some pigs in the shower--not always headless. But Hitchcock was shamed.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 06:38:23 AM »
Thank you very much for the pig roast - delicious! Sorry for leaving early, but us old folks need our rest... ;D And that Limoncello really did put hair on my chest...

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 07:41:10 PM »
Thanks for coming! Full report to follow as soon as I get time.

Offline totm

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 07:56:44 AM »
Thanks for coming! Full report to follow as soon as I get time.
No report, no pictures?

Saw one of these in operation Saturday.  Forty pounder roasted in 3.5-4 hours.   Moist and flavorful pig but the skin wasn't as crispy as I would have liked and I would have liked at least a touch of smoke.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 05:21:05 PM »
Sorry, sorry! Been super busy lately.

Pig was from Porky Pig market in Auburn Market downtown. I think it was $2.99lb which ended up being quite expensive. Better to do a larger one and pay less per lb. Next time we will do a little more research on the sourcing. Although their signage indicated local pigs, this one was shipped from Miami and frozen solid.

Guys ended up building a pit out of cinderblocks and lining it with heavy duty foil. Used oven racks and a grill rack for the rack. Started coals around 10am, 28 lb pig in at 11am. The whole thing was covered over in foil weighed down by bricks. They flipped it a few times and added more charcoal at least three times. Thermapen and laser temp measure were very helpful.

It was done by 5:30pm but we think that overall, the cooking temp was too hot (250) and so the outside got more done than it should have relative to the center being fully cooked. It was still yummy but could have used some sauce, which was not the direction we were headed. Next time, and I am sure that there will be one, we will go for lower and slower. I'll try to attach some pics soon but my technical expert is out of town and I am having trouble making them small enough.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:24:54 PM by LizR »

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 07:57:18 PM »
UGA agricultural sciences department (or something to that effect) has pigs available for sale.  They are perfectly fine creatures, not juiced up with radioactive antibiotics or anything, and they are relatively cheap.  I think something like $70 or $80 for a whole hog.  Granted, you will have to drive to Athens to get it, but the cost savings might be worth it if you want to hit up a local establishment like Chef Lamar's Iron Grill!  I know for a fact that these hogs are available, I'm just not sure of the details like who to call or exactly where to go.