Author Topic: Closed  (Read 159324 times)

Offline Minerva

Re: Closed?
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2010, 10:45:30 AM »
My wife drove by Nine in Roswell Square and said that they are closed.  I had noticed that the tables weren't outside but I thought that was a winter thing.  Can anyone confirm?

Nine has been closed since late summer, I'm told. Apparently owners have taken over Clay Cafe just up Canton St. a ways and renamed it Street Cafe.

Fused (in the old Magnolia Cafe space) on Canton also has closed.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2010, 10:54:05 AM »
My wife drove by Nine in Roswell Square and said that they are closed.  I had noticed that the tables weren't outside but I thought that was a winter thing.  Can anyone confirm?

Nine has been closed since late summer, I'm told. Apparently owners have taken over Clay Cafe just up Canton St. a ways and renamed it Street Cafe.

Fused (in the old Magnolia Cafe space) on Canton also has closed.

Weren't they run by the same folks?  I have never been impressed with their food or the 14 year olds that seemingly run the place.  Evidently everyone else didn't think very highly of them either.  In my opinion they have always been a major drag on the restaurant quality in the area.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:56:47 AM by HaagenDazs »

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2010, 10:57:49 AM »
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2010, 11:28:34 AM »
The last time I went to Magnolia Cafe was when I was served a turkey sandwich on a semi-stale roll with meats that were on a level lower of quality than what I could purchase at the Kroger deli and some chips shaken out of a Lay's bag...  Oh, and I think I was charged $9 for it.  And to pay for that $9 sandwich I had to go and find one of the 14 16 year olds to take my money.  I had to wait for the 2 girls behind the bar to stop talking and giggling to ask them for my bill. 

Granted some blame can be placed on the economy I suppose but if you're serving good food, then why have you had to close the last 2 restaurants you've opened in that location?  

Where's that Gordon Ramsey when we need him?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:39:13 AM by HaagenDazs »

Offline Minerva

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2010, 11:39:37 AM »
The best of the bunch was Ceviche. Are they still open?  

Ceviche is open and talk is they are looking to expand their space, maybe by building a 2nd floor.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:02:05 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline Barnum

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2010, 01:07:33 PM »
According to Decatur Metro blog, The Depeaux has closed:  http://www.decaturmetro.com/2010/02/03/the-depeaux-closes/

I am shocked!

Kessler reports HERE that they will be open weekends only.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2010, 04:27:24 PM »
Sushi???

That is my fantasy, anyway.

Really good brunch spot? Good bagels? Cheaper lunches to attract the DOD folks?

DH wishes for a pool hall with bar food and great beer selection.

Truth be told, the biggest problem for Solstice was that the food was really pretty bad - lots of weird flavor notes. I fear that Painted Table Cafe is suffering from the same mediocre-to-bad food problem.

For me Solstice and Painted Table suffer(ed) from the one too many ingredient syndrome.

They could probably fit in one pool table for DH and also get Luce (the woman who spends her life in a plexiglass box) from the market on the corner to make up a batch of her tamales (amazing, delicious)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 12:11:02 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2010, 07:38:07 PM »
There's a whole crazy shuffle going on on Canton street. Magnolia/ Fused is closed and Nine is being replaced by some new venture.  Pastis has moved into Fratelli's old location. And now we have INC Street Food popping up.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline Chocoholic

• Email
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2010, 11:58:02 AM »
Didn't Fused open fairly recently?

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2010, 12:11:52 PM »
Didn't Fused open fairly recently?

Yep - within the past year.  If I can remember correctly it seems like it was late Spring of last year.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2010, 12:20:46 PM »
It was supposed to be a hipper, newer version of the old Magnolia Cafe, operated by the same family peeps.

But it never really found its footing.

Offline TrickyD

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2010, 12:23:24 PM »
I also heard that rent went way up.

Don't know why they didn't negotiate rent before renovating (from Magnolia to Fuzed).  Maybe they didn't expect it after being tenants for so long?

Offline Barnum

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2010, 09:35:32 AM »

Looks like Phoenix Food and Lounge in the West Village (Atlanta & 285 in Smyrna) is no longer.  Not sure how long its been since I drove by, but it is certainly all cleaned out.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2010, 09:40:27 AM »

The Urban Flats in Snellville has closed..

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2010, 09:33:59 PM »
Does anyone know how long 88 Tofu House on Buford Highway has been closed? I just noticed it today, and I swear I might be having a brain fart, but I don't remember anyone announcing that it closed, and I think I drove by it fairly recently and said to Scientist, "There's 88 Tofu House. It must be closed now. No, wait, there are a few people in there, but very few."

Well, it's kind of crap news that it's gone, since I've been trying to introduce Scientist to all of the really great restaurants up and down Buford Highway each week when we visit, and that one was somewhat lower on the very long list, but it was on there. Dang.
Food is my favorite.