Author Topic: New Brewery in Decatur - Wild Heaven  (Read 2563 times)

Offline FlyinBrian

New Brewery in Decatur - Wild Heaven
« on: September 16, 2010, 06:36:25 AM »
I just happened to be at Cypress Street Pint and Plate when they tapped the first brews from Wild Heaven.  I sampled the Golden Ale and the Brown Ale, both Belgian varietals.  Here's some info about the brewery and their beers.

-B
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 06:44:41 AM by FlyinBrian »

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
Re: New Brewery in Decatur - Wild Heaven
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 09:39:24 AM »
I had the Invocation at Steinbeck's (Wild Heaven seemed to have a pretty big release at all the decent beer bars in Atlanta yesterday or Tuesday).  It's a Belgian style pale, but definitely tasted like other American versions.  I'm not sure what the distinction is really.  American ones seem maybe little heavier and miss some of the spiciness and stone fruit from the yeast.  It's a tasty beer on its own though and I look forward to trying Ode to Mercy.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:54:58 AM »
Is Wild Heaven is a standalone brewery in Decatur, or are they having it contract-brewed by someone?

I had the Invocation at Steinbeck's (Wild Heaven seemed to have a pretty big release at all the decent beer bars in Atlanta yesterday or Tuesday).  It's a Belgian style pale, but definitely tasted like other American versions.  I'm not sure what the distinction is really.  American ones seem maybe little heavier and miss some of the spiciness and stone fruit from the yeast.  It's a tasty beer on its own though and I look forward to trying Ode to Mercy.

What's an example of a Belgian pale ale, Palm?  Bleah.  The Belgians make lots of great beer, but pale ale is just not their forte.

Actually, after I wrote the sentence above I clicked on the link, and I see Invocation is referred to as a strong golden ale, which brings to mind Duvel, rather than a pale ale.  Okay, I guess Duvel and some others (Delirium Tremens?) have a solid niche.  I'll have to give Wild Heaven a whirl.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:41:50 AM »
I think when talking about Belgians you can use pale, golden, or blonde are fairly interchangeably.  My favorites are probably de Dolle Bos Keun (maybe the greatest pale beer there is from anywhere?) and La Chouffe.

Offline totm

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 12:21:07 PM »
Is Wild Heaven is a standalone brewery in Decatur, or are they having it contract-brewed by someone?
Currently contract brewed by Thomas Creek in SC.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 12:21:23 PM »
Yeah, I'm really not an expert on style guides.  I think BJCP makes distinctions among Belgian pale, strong golden, and blonde, but I'm not certain and it doesn't matter to me.  If it looks good, I drink it.

I've had something from de Dolle, but I can't recall what.  La Chouffe is in this style as well, yes.  The gnome is good.

I was talking beer with a colleague at lunch today, and he said he tried the Invocation yesterday at the downstairs "speakeasy" in the Prado Taco Mac.

Offline totm

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 12:26:20 PM »
I was talking beer with a colleague at lunch today, and he said he tried the Invocation yesterday at the downstairs "speakeasy" in the Prado Taco Mac.
More commonly know as the Fred bar.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 12:33:29 PM »
More commonly know as the Fred bar.

Apparently, yes: http://fredsbeerpage.blogspot.com/  I had no idea.  Prado is practically OTP for me.

Offline geonuc

• Email
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 05:25:03 AM »
These beers seem to be in all the best Decatur pubs. Cool.