Author Topic: New Computers  (Read 2128 times)

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
New Computers
« on: September 09, 2010, 10:38:18 AM »
We just got new IMac's with 27" LED 16:9 wide screens. These things are real horses that are so cool and fast as all get out. Now if I can just get accustomed to all the new software I will be set.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 02:15:11 PM by AndyBoy »

Offline Otto

• All I Want is to Photograph and to be Photographed
Re: New Computers
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 06:39:35 PM »
I wish I had a 27" screen.  Congratulations on the new computers.  The IMac rocks.

Offline Corky

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 03:53:29 PM »
Once you go MAC, you'll never go back.
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 06:13:25 PM »

My first Mac was a Mac Plus twenty something years ago. Apple has an incredibly loyal client base and for good reason, they cost more but are worth every penny of it. Our entire graphic design / printing industry is entirely Mac based. I bought a Powerbook a couple of weeks ago for personal use, my old laptop was 9 years old and still running but I wanted the new system and some of the latest features. Love it too.

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 08:14:08 AM »
How true.
We put down $300 for an iPOD Touch last December.
WiFi died in January (wide spread reports of this happening) and it was replaced with a refurbished unit.
Unit completely locked up in June.  We were told that it had been exposed to water and the warranty was void and it would cost us $200 to replace it with a refurbished unit.  This "diagnosis" was made by a kid with a flashlight, looking at a moisture sensor in the headphone jack while we stood there in the store.  Never opened it up to see if other internal moisture sensors were "tripped".  When we tried to explain it had unequivocally never been exposed to water, they literally turned their back and started to talk to other customers.

That's right. We'll never go back.  For any Apple product.

Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 08:34:19 AM »
My first and only Mac was the original with the 9" black/white screen in 1985.  I felt forced to join the PC world to be compatible with what everyone used at work, since Macs were regarded as toys back then.  I've had PCs ever since, as for years it seemed that Apple was heading for extinction.  But in the last few years Apple has lured me back.  First the iPod, now the iPhone.  I was unable to figure out half the features on my phone until the iPhone and its intuitive touch screen interface came along.  Now that it's no longer difficult to move files back and forth with the PCs at work, I'm tempted to go back to a Mac at home.  Apple keeps spamming me with announcements, and I suspect I'll soon cave in.

Offline Girly

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 12:51:32 PM »

I bought a Macbook Pro about 3 years ago to replace my Dell laptop. I admit, leaving the Dell available probably wasn't the brightest idea because it was so much easier to go back to the Dell and get things done faster than learning the Macbook. I ended up selling it on Ebay for a huge loss a few months later.

Trying to teach an old dog new tricks is tough. I've been using PCs since you had to type out DOS commands and I probably won't try Apple again any time soon.

Offline Otto

• All I Want is to Photograph and to be Photographed
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 09:57:54 PM »
Computers are a personal preference, for sure.  I understand the Mac and can trouble shoot most problems.  Plus, it's the computer that works best in my profession. 

I too had a Mac Plus.  I think I still have it somewhere.  Just needs a mouse.

Offline Corky

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 04:10:53 PM »
My first Mac was a Performa 5200 (or something like that) and was an excellent computer from way back then. At the time Mac wasn't too much into games, which my high school aged children really wanted a PC so they could play games. So, to keep peace in the family I bought a Dell.  Excellent computer which my daughter ended up taking to college 10 years ago and we replaced it with another Dell. That computer is still running good, albeit a bit slow in this day and age. About 4 years ago I bought a MacBook Pro, I still use and love. I have had an iPod Touch now for about 3 years. Never one problem with it. Anytime I have ever had a question, I go to the Northpoint Apple store where I get outstanding help. Even phone help has been outstanding with reps from the US. Not that I have had to use them very much, I would still rate Apple support as the best even with my limited use. That's the way I like it.
Sorry some of you had the opposite experience. I just can't relate because whether I have been in Atlanta, Dallas, Austin, Houston or Charlotte stores to either ask a question or buy something I have had excellent service.
Being semi-retired and having had to carry lugables and use DOS commands back in the early days to using modern laptops and spend hours on the phone with IT support (which I don't have to do now), I just plain out don't need the hassle of a PC.
When the Dell desktop dies, which my wife uses almost exclusively and I spend at least 2-3 hours a week doing maintenance, we are getting an iMac. As long as I can continue to put Microsoft Office on the Mac we should all be happy. She has used my laptop and constantly comments how easy it is to use. And, yes it is.
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt