Author Topic: Green Chile Sauce  (Read 2876 times)

Offline geepersag

• Email
Green Chile Sauce
« on: February 17, 2010, 06:13:54 PM »
I am new to the board and have a "burning" question.  Where in the ATL can I get honest to goodness green chile.  Not chile verde made with tomatillo, but CO, NM, or CA green chile's cooked down in a sauce that smothers everything like good gravy!!!  In the SW, green or red chile (CO chili) is a staple, and I have yet to find a good in the area.

Loundry

Re: Green Chile Sauce
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 08:41:48 AM »
I am new to the board and have a "burning" question.  Where in the ATL can I get honest to goodness green chile.  Not chile verde made with tomatillo, but CO, NM, or CA green chile's cooked down in a sauce that smothers everything like good gravy!!!  In the SW, green or red chile (CO chili) is a staple, and I have yet to find a good in the area.

If I recall correctly, 90% of hatch chile are eaten within the state of New Mexico.  We have Steve's mom send us items from New Mexico (hand-foraged wild oregano, hand-foraged pine nuts, homemade beef jerky, red chile, posole), but green chiles are tougher to ship.  She could send canned green chiles from New Mexico, but it's just not the same.

That said, anaheims and poblanos are readily available in Georgia and are delicious.  Probably not what you're looking for, but we make do with what we have.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 09:13:18 AM »
Hatch is only from NM (but it's the same thing as Vidalia onions - some try to call their chilies 'Hatch').

You can sometimes find them at Whole Foods during the season (at ridiculous prices), or get them sent frozen (at ridiculous prices), or as you said, use anaheims/poblanos.

If you're looking for restaurants, try Agave - they do several dishes with Hatch chilies (the stew is excellent).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:39:46 AM by KoPP »

Offline el_ted

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 01:37:01 PM »
Taqueria del Sol does chiles rellenos with them when they're in season.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 11:09:57 AM »
I noticed this item on the CL Omnivore blog about Hatch chiles and Taqueria del Sol, and a search led me to this thread.  So, are Hatch chiles actually different from or better than, say, Anaheims, or not?  I know nothing about the Hatch chile, and a quick Google of the term doesn't reveal a whole lot of factual info or insightful discussion--mostly just advertising, praise, recipes, etc.  Is the Hatch a distinct species or breed, botanically speaking?  I couldn't even determine that much.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 11:30:16 AM »
I noticed this item on the CL Omnivore blog about Hatch chiles and Taqueria del Sol, and a search led me to this thread.  So, are Hatch chiles actually different from or better than, say, Anaheims, or not?  I know nothing about the Hatch chile, and a quick Google of the term doesn't reveal a whole lot of factual info or insightful discussion--mostly just advertising, praise, recipes, etc.  Is the Hatch a distinct species or breed, botanically speaking?  I couldn't even determine that much.

I guess they are as different as Walla Walla onions and our revered Vidalia's ?

Different microclimate, different soil, Terroir (if we were speaking of wine)..

I love 'em, I have only tasted and used them a couple of times but really do like the intense but not hot chile flavor that comes out of the chiles from that region..

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »
I think Hatch chiles are hotter and more flavorful than Anaheims. The farmers are developing different varieties of Hatch chiles, and some of the websites state that a good connoisseur can tell from which farm the chile comes from. Who knows, but I does love 'em.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 12:06:20 PM »
Really?  Maybe if eaten whole (like in a relleno), but once cooked down into sauce, can you really tell a difference?

I'm tempted to investigate.

As for Vidalias versus other sweet onions, I've always been afraid to ask this question.  The terroir of Vidalia, GA?  Okay.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 12:08:08 PM »
Really?  Maybe if eaten whole (like in a relleno), but once cooked down into sauce, can you really tell a difference?

I'm tempted to investigate.

As for Vidalias versus other sweet onions, I've always been afraid to ask this question.  The terroir of Vidalia, GA?  Okay.

vidalia has low sulfur content in the soils -> less sufur in the onions -> sweeter. 
that's what i've read

Loundry

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 09:40:06 PM »
vidalia has low sulfur content in the soils -> less sufur in the onions -> sweeter. 
that's what i've read

It's correct(ish).  And they will sue you if you infringe on their "terroir".  If it's good enough for wine...