Author Topic: Roaster oven chicken stock  (Read 6087 times)

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
Re: Roaster oven chicken stock
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 08:09:53 AM »
I probably use about the same ratio as Jason, with roasted onions, carrots and celery helping to build the flavor in addition to the bones, but I probably don't reduce nearly as much as Jason does. In fact, I usually end up using my stocks very soon after I make them and rarely freeze any of it.

I'm on the same page with Loundry about not wanting to use thighs in stock, and since I don't like to use poached chicken in my chicken salad - I use roasted chicken, usually - I'd be less than happy with salvaging the thigh meat for that use. I do take whatever usable meat there is and put it back in the stock if I'm making soup, if it's appropriate.

It does change the color of the stock if you roast the chicken bones, but I don't mind. My mother used to add turmeric to her turkey and chicken broths to make gravy and things like that, because it made the broth turn yellow. While her soups and gravies were good, I don't want to make mine like that and I'm very distrusting of overly-yellow stocks and soups. I can't stand certain canned chicken broths and soups for this reason. I am capable of making a very clear chicken broth with a much lighter color if need be, but for the soups I generally make, the color of my home made stock is just fine for me. Others may have different preferences, and that's just fine.

I do like turmeric, by the way. I just like it more as a flavoring agent than as a food coloring.
Food is my favorite.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
Re: Roaster oven chicken stock
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 08:15:27 AM »
For what it's worth: Googling "stock vs. broth" will open up a great big can of worms that is far from definitive or standardized, in my opinion. It's probably a good topic for a thread, but in the end I'm not sure it adds that much in terms of instructions for the home cook.

HaagenDazs seems to have pretty much the right idea, though.
Food is my favorite.