Author Topic: Drying Chiles  (Read 1556 times)

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
Drying Chiles
« on: July 25, 2010, 11:44:20 AM »
In our garden we have a few varieties of chiles this year.  Arbol, serrano, and jalapeno - at least those are the ones I would consider drying.  I had great luck last year drying my chile de arbol just by stringing them and hanging them in our kitchen, (pictured) but I'm wondering if I can dry the serrano and jalapenos the same way?  The fact that the serrano and jalapeno are bigger and meatier than the arbol chiles has me wondering if they will rot before they actually dry. 

Does anyone have any experience with this? 

I've already got several arbol chiles strung up in the window and the bottom ones are already half-dried.  :)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: Drying Chiles
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 01:21:26 PM »
In our garden we have a few varieties of chiles this year.  Arbol, serrano, and jalapeno - at least those are the ones I would consider drying.  I had great luck last year drying my chile de arbol just by stringing them and hanging them in our kitchen, (pictured) but I'm wondering if I can dry the serrano and jalapenos the same way?  The fact that the serrano and jalapeno are bigger and meatier than the arbol chiles has me wondering if they will rot before they actually dry. 

Does anyone have any experience with this? 

I've already got several arbol chiles strung up in the window and the bottom ones are already half-dried.  :)

I used to slit them with scissors before making a ristra to dry...  Just a small slit along the length of the chile will really speed up drying..

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline totm

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 07:19:58 AM »
I prefer a light smoke (especially with the habenero chiles).  Then just smash in to flakes.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Loundry

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 08:19:42 PM »
I always thought it would be difficult to dry chiles here in Georgia where it is so humid.  In New Mexico, you can leave a wet sponge on the counter and in an hour there will be nothing but dust.  My MIL makes beef jerky by leaving slices of raw salted meat hanging on clotheslines in the bedroom.  It's kind of freaky, but delicious.