Author Topic: EGGotoberfest  (Read 8185 times)

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
EGGotoberfest
« on: July 22, 2010, 12:44:44 PM »
Pre-Registration Begins Monday, August 2nd at 12noon

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: EGGotoberfest
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 03:17:21 PM »
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 03:31:37 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 05:19:02 AM »
With another link here

http://eggtoberfest2010.eventbrite.com/

which looks like maybe the place to buy tickets... starting today at noon...

Offline Barnum

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 11:49:04 AM »
With another link here

http://eggtoberfest2010.eventbrite.com/

which looks like maybe the place to buy tickets... starting today at noon...

The above link is indeed to the site for purchase (using paypal).

I have my ticket!

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 10:23:35 AM »
Pre-Registration over.
I wonder how many tickets sold, and how many "cooks"?

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 02:58:10 PM »

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 12:02:09 PM »

Well the time is here, and tomorrow is the big day..  Though it seems like this HUGE cookout has been left off of the lists of things to do on Saturday by the AJC, there is going to be a big crowd, and a bunch of new-to-Eggtoberfest things going on.  I just talked to someone at Atlanta Motor Speedway and the setup is well underway. 

There will be clinics for first time egg users, and seasoned egg cookers as well.  There will be vendors (a first for an Eggtoberfest in Atlanta).  There are free rides being given (at least today) in some Nascar cars around the oval.  I hear there is a big area for kids, and of course the 600 or so folks setting up from one to three BGE's each for a real cookout tomorrow. this is NOT a competition but rather a yearly reunion of the folks across the globe that cook on Big Green Egg Ceramic Grills.  I think there is a people's choice competition tomorrow, but it is pretty low-key.  There is a huge raffle at the end of the celebration tomorrow with parts of your ticket being pulled for grilling goodies and take-away "stuff"...

CP will be going with me to the pre-party tonight, but nephew B.J. has signed  on for the all-day affair tomorrow allowing C.P. some downtime from her busy work schedule.

Hope to see some of you folks there, we will be doing our show from noon until two tomorrow, but will be there most of the day? We are hoping to be set up near the "Team Bobby-Q" venue with the folks from the mothership of Big Green Egg.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 12:07:08 PM »
I can't wait for my first Eggtoberfest!  Do I need to eat before I go, or will there be some food there?

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 12:27:36 PM »
I can't wait for my first Eggtoberfest!  Do I need to eat before I go, or will there be some food there?

Everything has changed of course since they moved the homey, gathering from the back-lot of the Tucker store, but that's what folks do, bring food to be sampled.  It is bragging rights mostly, but everyone will be a-cookin. I have no idea what we are doing for our show, but stop by and I'll feed 'ya..   ;)

I hope that Carnivore BBQ sauce (Todd Hippo) will be there, I have a bunch of orders from folks that are not going to fill ?

Offline Barnum

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 12:43:57 PM »

Everything has changed of course since they moved the homey, gathering from the back-lot of the Tucker store, but that's what folks do, bring food to be sampled.  It is bragging rights mostly, but everyone will be a-cookin. I have no idea what we are doing for our show, but stop by and I'll feed 'ya..   ;)

I hope that Carnivore BBQ sauce (Todd Hippo) will be there, I have a bunch of orders from folks that are not going to fill ?

I will certainly hunt you down.  I think I will, however, make a stop right off the highway in Forest Park at Mr. Taco for some huevos rancherous on my way down.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »

I will certainly hunt you down.  I think I will, however, make a stop right off the highway in Forest Park at Mr. Taco for some huevos rancherous on my way down. 

You are funny   ;)

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 01:31:55 PM »

I hope this works ?  Here are the Big Green Eggs set up for the event...

I fixed it..

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 03:41:48 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 09:35:18 PM »

Quite an experience tonight, they have never had that many folks at a pre-party and the servers were in the weeds.  The food was good, the venue is pretty neat on the infield of Atlanta Speedway.  We had a good time, got the lay of the land and are prepared to go back down there tomorrow for the full-on cook off experience.

Here is one more picture of the eggs lined up seemingly to the horizon.  There are 4 rows like this lined up on each side of the garages for tomorrow's event.  I heard that there were between 500 and 600 eggs set up.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 10:58:33 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline Barnum

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 01:37:22 PM »
Been there and done that... with mixed feelings.

I think if you're into this BGE thing, which I am, and have the means to cough up $40 for a ticket (which you probably do if you could afford an Egg in the first place), you need to go to this thing at least once.

I got my t-shirt and my goody bag (with coupons, cooking book, BGE towel, BGE pin, BGE patch, etc...), along with my sweetwater beer coupons (which I didn't redeem given the length of the line) and was off to strolling the rows of Eggs.  I got there as everybody was finishing up their breakfast items and starting to put out other things, so I had a nice sampling of sausages, biscuits, breakfast casseroles, stuffed mushrooms, pork, brisket, flank steak, various pizza's, and about anything else you could think to cook in an Egg.  Particularly appreciated the chance to talk to a couple folks about strategies for doing pizza (about the only thing that I'm still a dismal failure at) as well as a neat way to smoke/cook pineapple.  Unfortunately, with the throng of people stampeding the tables putting out food at any given moment, and the tendency for the Egg-man/woman to be wandering around if they weren't putting out food, didn't often have a lot of chance to talk to anybody but the folks manning the tables... all nice folks, some with more ability to talk technique than others.

At that point, not sure what else to do.  There was live music at one end of the place, but not really anywhere to sit down.  It was obvious that some folks had done this before and knew to bring folding chairs and coolers.  I guess if you came in a group and brought chairs, you could sit around and watch the crowd, graze once in a while, and probably have a good time.  I would have liked to see this in the days when it was a little more intimate (smaller) and wasn't held on a concrete pad in the infield of a race track.  Not saying there was anything inherently wrong with the setup, but it just didn't seem to lend itself to much more than just grazing for bite-sized morsels (most very tasty) and leaving once you got tired of standing.

Towards the end ran into Mike, so got a chance to catch up with him and his nephew which is always nice.  All in all, it was certainly a perfect day for it!

Should also note that I did sample and pick up a couple bottles of the Carnivore sauce which seemed like good stuff.  Thought about picking up a couple Egg accessories, but didn't want to carry 'em around.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 10:02:33 PM »

I think if you're into this BGE thing, which I am, and have the means to cough up $40 for a ticket (which you probably do if you could afford an Egg in the first place), you need to go to this thing at least once.

I thought the neat stainless steel topped Eggcarts were pretty nify, and B.J. found out that there is a HOT version of a jalapeno popper.

I too bought some of Carnivore's BBQ Sauce..  I think it a good go-too sauce that you can add to or not and get good results.  I know Todd (the owner of Carnivore), is working on yet another version/style of his BBQ sauce..  He is from Hampton, GA.  

I bought a couple bottles of the "Mild" did someone here on the board request some Carnivore, Mild ?

<<< Huge edit>>>

Barnum - I agree somewhat. I wish (and that time has past) that you could have attended one of the behind-the-store Eggtoberfests.  It did have a different charm when it was smaller.  While I liked it this year, on several levels, I can understand that there could be a sortof "I don't get it", feeling about "THIS" Eggtoberfest.  Any event can always be better, and this one is no exception. I have a list of things I would have done VERY differently.

This was the first year for this larger event and I don't think they had a handle on how large the crowd would be or how to mange the event in this particular venue. I am sure they will be having a meeting to discuss what can be improved to make next year's Eggtoberfest better.