Author Topic: Wine?  (Read 11458 times)

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
Re: Wine?
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2011, 11:58:50 AM »
http://www.slate.com/id/2296624/

Article about the Master of Wine program, supposedly the hardest test of wine knowledge in the world. It takes about three years of classwork, exams and dissertation to earn one. About eight people qualify annually, and currently there are about 300, mostly either industry workers or journalists. Does it have any real value? Nothing beyond bragging rights apparently, and by not getting one, you save at least $6000. Another victory for the amateur de vin.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2011, 06:07:48 PM »

I opened a bottle that had been cellared too long.  In 2001 we bought a half case of Frog Mtn. Sangiovese wine and asked if it could be "kept" a while.  The answer was "yes" so I put some of it back, and sortof lost track of it.  I opened a bottle tonight to find that the wonderful had gone out of the wine.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline MNewman

• Email
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2011, 09:00:28 PM »
Regarding sites to seek wine advice, my preference is www.cellartracker.com, combined with select critics.  For example, I pay minimal attention to Robert Parker as his preference style is for much "bigger" and in my opinion, less food friendly wines, than I usually prefer.  I do pay attention to www.burghound.com for burgundy as I very much agree with most of his notes.

The nice thing about cellartracker is that you can often obtain a consensus amongst a wide group of people.  One caveat is that individuals who favor certain styles of wine will likely buy and drink those wines.  I detest oaky U.S. chardonnay but enjoy Chablis that is about the same price.  It doesn't matter to me what others say about Stonestreet chard...I know I hate it.  I've also selected "favorite tasters" in Cellartracker whom are credible adjuncts to Burghound, the Rhone Report, etc.

One other suggestion.  Taste blind for fun.  It is very HUMBLING and has become my favored way to to taste wines.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:07:48 PM by MNewman »

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2011, 09:56:43 PM »
Navarro Vineyards is running a three bottles for 29 bucks with free shipping deal. I got a mailer but I'd bet they would let anyone in on the deal if you contact them.