Author Topic: Wine?  (Read 11444 times)

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
Wine?
« on: December 05, 2009, 09:54:13 AM »
Ahem. I just wanted to point out that there's not a single post about wine, even about how much it sucks. Someone needs to get Chris and Greg over here. Anyone have their e-mail addresses?

The Prisoner is my favorite special occasion bottle right now, and it's only about $34 at Total Wine. Other than that, we're still frequently revisiting Ben Marco Malbec, Crios Malbec Rose, Running with Scissors Petite Sirah and Pinot Evil.

I do drink beer as well, but I just thought it might be nice if someone talked about wine a little bit.
Food is my favorite.

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
Re: Wine?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 08:52:50 AM »
Here's an article sure to warm the cockles of Loundry's heart:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703683804574533840282653628.html

It reports on a scientific study of wine judging, and concludes that most appraisals are not worth much.  Everything about wine tasting is so subjective that any two write-ups are bound to be significantly, sometimes wildly different.  This has been demonstrated several times over the years, but wine cognoscenti have always dismissed it because of the extenuating circumstances (artificial environment, unfair cues like fancy bottles), and because they never involved the most well-known and respected experts.  Until now that is.

For four years running the judges at the California State Fair Wine Competition were asked to rate wines in the exact same way as the actual competition.  In the standard 80-100 scale, ratings of the same wine from the same bottle by the same judge varied by an average of +/- 4.  It wasn't just some bad ones dragging everyone else down either.  The ones who did best one year were quite average the next.  The publication of the results had to be delayed because the board kept denying permission to the author.

The other study looked at how wine competitions award their medals.  It found that they are quite random, with everyone having about a 9% chance of winning at the start, and winning one had practically no influence on how it would do in the next competition.

Bottom line is don't pay for ratings or medals, just drink what you like.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 09:01:16 AM by The_Scientist »
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline CodePoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 10:19:52 AM »
I agree with drinking what you like. I think choosing a wine is alot like choosing a restaurant or a dish. I listen to the people that I know understand the tastes that I like and not the price or number of medals or a rating.

Offline MoT

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 10:29:25 AM »
We had a midnight toast for kiddo's birthday last night, with some 10.00 Spanish champagne, recommended by Buster's liquor store in Memphis. I was fairly suprised at how good a cheap champagne could be. I didn't personally buy it but would have bet it was more expensive upon tasting. I just had one glass.  :D

Offline MNewman

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 05:50:01 PM »
2008 Clos Teddi Patrimonio
Vermentino grape
From Corsica
$25
Another very nice alternative white

Offline hudson

• Two Friends Import Company
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 08:10:50 AM »
i agree with the scientist.  drink what you like. dont pay attention to the ratings..remember these are magazines that produce most ratings..

i say pair you wines with your meals...if you are having a simple meal...drink a simple wine (no more than $10 per bottle) there are many of these out there.  If you are eating poached lobster, then you may want to spring for a nice white burgandy (i'd probably spend about $25 retail for a really nice one.

Thanks to the MODS for providing this great forum..this is my first post, and I will be back!
Follow me on twitter
@2friendsimports

Loundry

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
Here's an article sure to warm the cockles of Loundry's heart:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703683804574533840282653628.html

The other study looked at how wine competitions award their medals.  It found that they are quite random, with everyone having about a 9% chance of winning at the start, and winning one had practically no influence on how it would do in the next competition.

Anything that shows things for what they are rather than what we want them to be is heartwarming to me, unless they're picking on something that I like, in which case it's sobering rather than heartwarming.

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 10:13:42 AM »
http://www.vinography.com/archives/2007/11/2004_caymus_special_selection.html

Cristal is so 2005!  Now the beverage of choice for rich people with more money than sense is Caymus Special Selection cabernet sauvignon, especially the magnum bottle which sells for $500-2000 in restaurants and is in such demand that it's hard to find even at those prices.  Wine Spectator rates all of its vintages in the mid to high 90's, but I highly doubt that most of the people ordering this could tell the difference between it and some $50 bottle from the corner wine store, maybe not even a $10 bottle that might be sitting on my shelf right now.

What I don't get is what made this one the shizzle and not that one.  Did some big agent or hip-hopper decide to impress his entourage one night and drop a few grand on bottles for the table?  There are certainly even more expensive wines out there.  What made this one stand out?
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 04:14:25 PM »

I was introduced to Miracle One wine on Saturday as Lane Shackleton and his parents were our guests at Big Green Egg headquarters.  I am not a Chardonnay fan but the one I tasted Saturday was a real hit, not too oaky and crisp. Very nice.

For me the Pinot Noir was the bomb.   I am not close to wine expert but I'd have a few bottles of this in the cooler.  This one is good (for me)... 

http://www.facebook.com/miracleonewine?v=wall#!/miracleonewine?v=wall&ref=ts

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 08:24:58 AM »
I was in Trader Joe's Friday and they have Charles Shaw wines from Australia now. Clerk said they were a new addition to their line of wines. The Shiraz was pretty amazing and it is still priced at $2.79 a bottle. Anyone else tried it?

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 11:33:23 AM »
I have had the Shiraz several times and I think it is good, really good considering the price.  I like the Charles Shaw reds more than the whites.  Obviously Charles Shaw wines are not "fine" wines, but I like having a good reliable table wine that I can enjoy with a regular meal and not feel terrible if I end up tossing some of it.

Loundry

Re: Wine? Corked?
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 03:16:46 PM »
I was drinking wine the other day

<I pause while you pick your jaw up off the floor>

and I commented to Steve that I was totally okay with, and in fact excited about, drinking wine that was no more than $10 per bottle.  "Any wine that costs more than $10 per bottle is fraud", I explained.  (Same goes for beer.)  Steve's revealed his limit was $5, but he's a meanie.

Anyway, we were drinking our sub-$10 bottle of wine and finished it.  Steve opened a second sub-$10 bottle of wine and tasted it.  He gagged and said it tasted horrible and asked me to taste it.  Having had tasted many horrible bottles of wine, I was set to be unsurprised.  But what I tasted was the strangest foul flavor I've ever tasted.  It tasted like nothing else.  It was more in the stench of the wine than in the flavor.  It smelled kind of like fart and rotting vegetables, but neither of those stenches really define it.  It was a foul, gag-inducing odor.  The wine didn't taste as bad as it stank, but it was still a shimmering brown F.

What was that stench?  Was that what a "corked" wine smells like?  What does a "corked" wine smell like to you?

Offline Foodgeek

• The Food Tutor
    • Email
Re: Wine? Corked?
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 03:52:36 PM »
What was that stench?  Was that what a "corked" wine smells like?  What does a "corked" wine smell like to you?

Wet newspaper, filthy socks, damp hay, mildew, old leather, "barnyard-y" smells. There are several dozen, possibly more, microbes that can cause wine to become "corked," and many of them have their own, individual scents.

About 1 in 20 bottles of wine or so can be corked, but the chance of getting a corked bottle goes up for less expensive bottles that use real corks. Most of the wines that I buy on a regular basis have synthetic corks, or even better, screw tops. Pinot Evil comes with a screw top now, at $7.99 a bottle - I just bought 2 more at BHFM - and I've never had one that was corked, out of well over 100 bottles that Scientist and I have drunk. However, I have had several corked bottles in various different settings, and I've even been to wine tastings where a corked wine was being poured and most people were oblivious to it.

It's interesting that you mentioned that it tasted better than it smelled, because that's common. Some people even like the funky, wet dog experience of drinking corked wine and they'll continue drinking it, knowing that it's corked. It most likely won't make you sick, but it can vary from being slightly funky to being something that you can't pour down the sink fast enough.

Some people make the mistake of thinking that they can still use the wine for cooking. Do not do this, unless you want whatever you're cooking to taste like dirt.
Food is my favorite.

Offline GianniB

• Email
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 09:31:29 AM »
FG - a big +1 on The Prisoner.  Their first label Papillon is super fab too.

Right now I'm a big fan of the Spanish reds.  Anything Granache and/or Tempranillo.  As it gets warmer, I'm looking for rose's to try too.

Offline Foodgeek

• The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 10:00:46 AM »
I'm also a fan of Tandem Peloton (a blend). Anyone seen it lately? I'll check at Total Wine this weekend to see if they have it. Probably a little over $20 a bottle, so that falls into my "special occasion" category.
Food is my favorite.