Author Topic: Goat Meat  (Read 2574 times)

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
Goat Meat
« on: July 17, 2010, 10:38:43 AM »
I picked up some goat meat at the Roswell Riverside Market this morning.  I had been in contact with the very nice folks raising it, Don and Maggie Mills at Mollyville Farms near Jackson, GA, so I was excited that they got their meat to the market this morning.  It is a big hurtle for a small farm such as theirs to get all the necessary permits to transport and sell their meat at markets like this.  For those in the area, stop by and grab something from them - they also have beef and pork, but I'm always looking for something different to try so I picked up some ground goat meat, goat chops, and a shoulder roast.  This will be my first time cooking goat though I have enjoyed it many times at Mexican and Indian places.  Any suggestions?  I think I'm going to smoke roast the shoulder and serve it with some Zocalo salsa, tortillas and some garden tomato salad. 

I thought they had a small website but the link below is all I can find now...

http://www.localharvest.org/mollyville-farms-M35923

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
Re: Goat Meat
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 10:58:32 AM »
First thing I thought of was vindaloo.  FG has made it with chicken and pork, and it was great both times.  Look for her recipe posted elsewhere.

We also had goat with mufongo at Pura Vida, which was fabulous.  Not sure how to manage mufongo at home though.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 11:52:19 AM »
I picked up some goat meat at the Roswell Riverside Market this morning.  I had been in contact with the very nice folks raising it, Don and Maggie Mills at Mollyville Farms near Jackson, GA, so I was excited that they got their meat to the market this morning.  It is a big hurtle for a small farm such as theirs to get all the necessary permits to transport and sell their meat at markets like this.  For those in the area, stop by and grab something from them - they also have beef and pork, but I'm always looking for something different to try so I picked up some ground goat meat, goat chops, and a shoulder roast.  This will be my first time cooking goat though I have enjoyed it many times at Mexican and Indian places.  Any suggestions?  I think I'm going to smoke roast the shoulder and serve it with some Zocalo salsa, tortillas and some garden tomato salad. 

I thought they had a small website but the link below is all I can find now...

http://www.localharvest.org/mollyville-farms-M35923

I have a recipe for Stoba...  it is a fiery hot recipe that I'll hunt up and provide.. if you don't see it in a day or two remind me..  Good for goat or lamb...

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 10:21:30 AM »
Due to the afternoon rains we had yesterday (in Roswell at least) I opted not to grill roast the shoulder, instead simply roast it in the oven.  Not a great option for the middle of July but it was better than dealing with the humidity, heat, and rain...  Anyway, it turned out great.  I probably could have cooked it longer as it was the tiniest bit chewy, but sliced thin for tacos it wasn't a problem at all.  The meat was quite lean but still rich and hearty.  If you like lamb you will like goat but there is a distinct difference in flavor.  Lamb in fact is a much stronger tasting meat in my opinion.  We made simple goat tacos with some corn on the cob and a few sliced garden tomatoes.  At $6.00 per pound it is a wonderful and relatively inexpensive addition to our repertoire. 

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 08:32:02 AM »
I think i want to make some goat meat salame...

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 09:59:03 AM »
Sounds like a great idea!

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 10:12:57 AM »
yeah, i've been slacking on my curing...once i get back from our trip to the Motherland mid sept. i'm going to get back into it

Offline ginny

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 10:19:44 AM »
I have found you need to cook goat meat on a low heat and very slow. Otherwise it tends to be tough. Crock pot or pressure cooker is good for goat meat.
Shorts Retirement Home
Ginny and Jerry (This is Ginny)
Little Rock, AR USA