Author Topic: Foodgeek's Chicken Tikka Masala  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
Foodgeek's Chicken Tikka Masala
« on: December 04, 2009, 03:50:05 PM »
Food is my favorite.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
Re: Foodgeek's Chicken Tikka Masala
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 05:27:10 PM »
Thanks for the recipe.  The nice thing about it is it doesn't contain really any out of the ordinary ingredients.  I've never made much Indian food (even if this one is British-icized) at home, myself.  My most recent foray was opening a bag of biryani and naan from Trader Joe's.  I'll have to make this sometime soon.  But don't ask me to marry you... my wife would be pissed.  Just kidding Scientist - and congrats. ;)

Loundry

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 11:40:23 PM »
But I say it just to reach you...

Great recipe FoodGeek!  I am still looking for a Chicken Tikka Masala recipe, or any Indian or Indianish recipe, for that matter, which will please the boss.  I may use your recipe as a round 1 and see what happens.  The one change I might make is to add toasted ground cashew nut to the sauce.

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 02:24:10 PM »
Tikka Masala for dinner last night, as usual instigated by my imploring, but this time I handled the whole thing beginning to end except for a last minute FG tweak, a teaspoon of sugar in the sauce.  Had to substitute 1 tsp ginger powder in the marinade for fresh ginger since we were out of fresh and I had no transportation at the time, but did use ~1 tbsp fresh in the sauce (the extra juice helps the flavor notably).  Jarred minced garlic worked fine in place of fresh garlic.  Also added the juices from the broiler to the sauce.

The usual problem when I make it is the sauce not turning out smooth and homogeneous.  Butter, tomato sauce and coconut milk don't want to get along, so you gotta make them with lots of whisking before you incorporate the chicken.  This time I stayed disciplined instead of letting my hunger get the better of me, made sure it was sufficiently agitated, and dare I say it was the best batch I have made.  Level of heat was just right, chicken was cooked well and sauce was the correct texture.  Yummo!
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle