Author Topic: Charleston / Isle of Palms, SC - Need recs.  (Read 6976 times)

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
Re: Charleston / Isle of Palms, SC - Need recs.
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 08:31:31 AM »
We were down there a couple of years ago and FIG was the last dinner we had and I was not impressed. Maybe they were having an off night or something. The very best food we had was at Rue de Jean. It was several blocks away from the main tourist area and the food was excellent.

Offline uptown jimmy

• Email
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 12:03:20 PM »
The wife and I spend a lot of time in Charleston. We stayed at the family condo oin Charleston last week, but drove out to IOP every day because the beaches there are the most laid-back and least...ummm...exciting...yeah, that's the ticket...

You guys are well-positioned on IOP. FYI, use 703 to-and-from town, it takes you through Sullivan's Island, which might seem a little further, but 703 is a much easier, less-congested drive, and it's where all the good food and shopping are. 17 is just ugly and slow and nasty.

Anyway, your best seafood market is Mt. Pleasant Seafood, right there on Shem Creek on 703 not far from the new bridge. Can't miss it, it's right there with all those awful touristy restaurants, the sign is right on the road. Great fish there, ask them what's local and fresh. We bought a whole black sea bass, had them filet it, took the bones and head to make a stock and cut the fish into pieces for a soup, oh lordy that was tasty. Or the local shrimp ceviche we made, or the pan-fried whiting with homemade tartar sauce, or the sauteed shrimp, we ate good with me in the kitchen that's sho nuff. Make sure to get LOCAL seafood, why bother with anything else?

FIG is spotty as heck. Some dishes are great, some mediocre, and the "see and be seen" factor, along with the overly-fussy service, just makes us not want to go back after two visits. The chef there won the James Bears award recently, over our local boy Hugh Acheson at 5&10, and it's just not fair: if you want that sort of post-Chez Panisse fare, 5&10 is the best we've ever had, and that's saying something. The execution and service and ambience at 5&10 are always impeccable, so sashay up to Athens sometime and enjoy.

Anyway, avoid FIG and all the other fancy places, except maybe for lunch.

If you really wanna get jiggy on a romantic night out, it's the Charleston Grill. Check out the website if you're interested, but we go here only occasionally even thought it's staggeringly good. Sometimes you get what you pay for, but I'll take this place over all the other fauncy places in Charleston ANY day of the week.

Al Di La - just a few miles into West Ashley, literally a straight shot across Charleston and over the little bridge on 17, just off the right side of the road in a charming, quiet, lovely old shopping spot. Some of the best Italian food we've ever had, the bruschetta and the wood-fired pizza both made with house-made mozarella, we actually watched them make it one afternoon. Quiet and cozy most nights, it gets busy later in the week, but go early mid-week and maybe sit outside and enjoy what is easily some of the best food in the Southeast. This place hits all the right buttons, no pretentious attempts to reinvent the wheel every week or so, but a place to love and go back to again and again for superb traditional Italian food.

La Fourchette - King St. in Charleston, perfect French fare in a cozy little space, with a tipsy Frenchman keeping an eye on things. The best moules frites ever, perfect little French wine list, best spinach salad ever (duck fat in the dressing), end of discussion. Do it.

Papa Zuzu's - Mt Pleasant, on 703/West Coleman on Mt. Pleasant, impossible to miss, grab lunch here one afternoon, best hummous-baba plate ever, awesome Gyro sandwiches, Greek-style pizzas, take the kids, lovely.

La Pizzeria - again with the 703/West Coleman Mt. Pleasant thing, this is the best Italian-American pizza we've ever had, nuff said.

Basil - King St, near La Fourchette. This place gets busy at prime hours, go when they're not so busy and it's the best Thai food in the Southeast. Get some Pad Thai, get some coconut chicken soup, thank me with money in the mail. Sit at the little "bar" where the kids can watch the cooks work their magic.

Shi Ki isn't fancy, but they have damned good sushi.

The kids will love Jack's Atomic Dogs. Avoid the chili.

The Boathouse on IOP is fun at sunset on the rooftop bar. Watch the dolphins swim and the divorcees get hammered. They have a family-friendly menu in the restaurant proper that is not bad at all. Beautiful views.

Other places we want to try: Glass Onion, The Fat Hen, maybe a few others.

I'll try to think of others. The Charleston food scene is exploded, meaning that there's waaay too many choices for a town that size. But it's an amazing food town, easily batting with major North American cities, pound for pound. Many of the most heralded restaurants are fully on-board with the pretentious and fussy side of "locavore", and it gets kinda pricey and fauncy and too-plated for us. YMMV. We prefer laid-back and on-point, emphasis on centuries-old classics that just do not need reinventing ever week.

Uptown Jimmy was here.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 01:09:45 PM »
Thanks Jimmy! Awesome list

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 07:07:10 PM »
Reporting back.
Ate @ Hominy grill twice. Breakfast and lunch. Both were outstanding.
Mt Pleasant Seafood. Got some very nice shrimp and some nice flounder.
39 Rue de Jean. Outstanding. Had a whole pan roasted black bass with chanterelles and tomato cous cous. So good.

Offline shoeshine boy

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 07:48:46 AM »
so we're headed to Charleston next weekend and could use some updated recommendations. we'll be busy most of the weekend with a tournament but we'll be free Sunday night for a nice dinner.
we were thinking Hominy Grill. opinions? alternatives?

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 08:06:33 AM »
We had lunch last week with another couple at Husk and it was great. Duck confit with local butter beans and black eyed peas, local beef with baby fingerling potatoes, strawberry soup, shrimp and grits. All were outstanding, although my beef was a bit tough and chewy. Still it was a great lunch. Rue de Jean and Hominy Grill are also good choices. Charleston is a wonderful food town, so many restaurants for a city of its size.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:08:04 AM by AndyBoy »

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 08:16:50 AM »
An old friend of mine appears to have the Midas touch.  He has opened or been involved with these places in Charleston and Mt. Pleasant:

Oak Steakhouse
O-ku Japanese
The Macintosh
17 North

-B

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 08:36:56 AM »
Doh!  Looks like I'm a few days late...

Offline jimmy

• Email
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 12:47:41 PM »
Just got back from there.

Two Borough's Larder is great. Trattoria Lucca. The negroni cocktail menu at FIG rocks.

Offline shoeshine boy

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 07:53:38 AM »
Doh!  Looks like I'm a few days late...

you're not late at all. we're headed there on Friday. :)

Offline waynehoobler

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 08:28:55 AM »
This may be blasphemous, but we like getting tips from 3 shows that I like: Man vs Food, Bizarre Foods, and (even the reviled) Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.

Bizarre Food was recently in Charleston and he went to 'Martha Lou's Kitchen' and some other places (McCrady's, Buckshot's Carry out, Bowen's Island Restaurant,Hominy Grill, Scott's Bar-b-que, Martha Lou's Kitchen).  Travel channel has various videos on their website.

On tv, it definitely all looks good.

Offline Girly

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 11:41:19 AM »
Went this weekend for Corp Day

Stars Rooftop - I think this just recently opened? Very good. On the $$$$ side for what you get, but it's one of dem fancee restaurants. We had 12 total with 6 at our table. Venison, salmon, mussels, baked oysters, pot pie, lobster grits. All quite good but $400 including wine and I was just looking for more food. I'm a grubber though ;)

Reds on Shem - don't bother. Ever.

Hominy Grill - OMG. I could eat there every day. We were reeling from the weekend and didn't order any, but their mixed drinks looked good.

Went to a cute little Ban Mi place Bon Banh Mi on Spring. Got the 5 spice pork. It was very good, not great.

Offline Corky

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 09:23:16 AM »
Whenever I am in Charleston for Citadel functions we stay on IoP. Two of our favorite restaurants out that way are Sea Biscuit Cafe (IoP) for breakfast and 17 North (Mt Pleasant) for dinner. Of course you can't beat the view from The Boathouse. Not my first choice for food, but drinks outside and view go along way toward a pleasurable evening. 17 North has a FB page. Sea Biscuit-http://www.seabiscuitcafeiop.com/
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt

Offline Corky

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 01:16:04 PM »
Just found out 17 North is closed. Sorry about that.
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt