Author Topic: What's for dinner?  (Read 245845 times)

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
Re: What's for dinner?
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2009, 09:27:02 AM »
We had spaghetti and meatballs last night also Liz. Mine were made from ground turkey and the tomato sauce from scratch. Good night for such a meal.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2009, 08:33:12 AM »
I made a nice supper last night and it all came together pretty quickly. Publix had these turkey breast they called "tenderloins" I think. I poached one in gravy after searing. We had steamed brocollini and I made creamed corn which was really good.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2009, 10:36:53 AM »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2009, 08:51:40 AM »
Last night seemed like a good night for chili. I made a big batch with ground turkey and we had cornbread and a salad on the side.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2009, 11:53:45 AM »
I'm catching up from the last couple of days..

This first one was way more delicious than the finished, puddled plate ended up looking.  Yes I could have spent some more time reducing the sauce in the braise but I was pretending I was doing a quick-fire..    ;)

It was way to cold outside so I bailed and pulled out two old pan/friends.  One a "waterless" stainless steel Dutch Oven that I purchased in the late 60's, and the venerable grill pan that makes due as I ignore my outdoor grills and smokers.

I found some really meaty, good looking lamb shoulder chops for a good price and presalted them for an hour before wiping them off and tossing them on the grill pan.  About 2 minutes per side was all they needed to get some grill marks that disappeared during the braise, but made me fell good.  Then I carefully put together some pantry items to make a slightly acid braise and covered the lid (I turned the fire way down--- remember, waterless cookware    ;)  ). While they cooked I steamed and mashed some sweet potato as a base for this braise, knowing that I had sufficient vegetables in the braising liquid (and then added later) to fill the vegetable requirement here at home.

Here are three pictures of the dinner including two of the process..

Offline Barnum

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2009, 12:01:14 PM »
GG, that certainly looks very tasty... nice warm and hearty meal on a cold day!

Offline Minerva

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2009, 12:04:48 PM »
Round bone lamb chops are among my faves but unless I marinate them for a good long while they always seem to come out a tad tough. Your method sounds like a lifesaver. What was in the acid braise you used?
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2009, 12:11:04 PM »

Ahhhh the chase after the perfect meatloaf/meatball recipe and end result.

This last one came damn close to the best.  Though we here like a variety of types, and I do make a killer lemon-zest flavored meatloaf, I do think that this recipe could be a baseline for any flavor a person would like to toss at it.   Yes it is constructed like the one from Cooks Illustrated, yes, it was a bit too moist this time, but I have learned some valuable lessons along the way.  

This is the same recipe that has been bandied about several websites and is available along with a video and good instructional pictures on the Cooks Illustrated website.  I may post my changed recipe (almost no changes actually), on the recipe section here.  I may have to change up the directions to get past copywrite issues...?

The panade (mixture of a fairly small amount of bread and some liquid) is the answer to making this a wonderful recipe as well as the addition of gelatin.  It was really strange for me to have measuring cups and spoons out and taking great care to do this thing according to script so I could amend or change it later.   Here are a couple pictures of the process and the finished plates.   Btw..  it also make a wonderful sandwich, the day after.

<added later>..   I would change the glaze from the one used in CI.. It was too vinegary for our taste. The smell of the 1/4 cup of cider vinegar in the glaze as I slightly boiled the glaze and then as it was going on (in three or four steps) was too much.  I might use orange juice rather than the vinegar?
<end of added later>

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:29:05 PM by GadgetGeek »

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2009, 12:18:35 PM »

This is the same recipe that has been bandied about several websites and is available along with a video and good instructional pictures on the Cooks Illustrated website.  I may post my changed recipe (almost no changes actually), on the recipe section here.  I may have to change up the directions to get past copywrite issues...?

A list of ingredients cannot be copyrighted. You can't post the method verbatim, but you could post the ingredients list and then write your own method.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2009, 12:23:53 PM »

This is the same recipe that has been bandied about several websites and is available along with a video and good instructional pictures on the Cooks Illustrated website.  I may post my changed recipe (almost no changes actually), on the recipe section here.  I may have to change up the directions to get past copywrite issues...?

A list of ingredients cannot be copyrighted. You can't post the method verbatim, but you could post the ingredients list and then write your own method.

Thanks Jason.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2009, 12:25:14 PM »
GG, have you tried a meatloaf on the BGE yet?  I know you've seen pictures of some that I've done that include a nice smoke ring.  As a meatloaf connoisseur I'm not sure there's a better way to cook 'em.

that does lead me to realize there isn't a BGE thread here yet?  or have I missed it?  I would have thought that would have been one of the first ones!

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2009, 12:33:17 PM »
GG, have you tried a meatloaf on the BGE yet?  I know you've seen pictures of some that I've done that include a nice smoke ring.  As a meatloaf connoisseur I'm not sure there's a better way to cook 'em.

You are so right there.  I wimped out on this one...   I'll be better.... 8)

That does lead me to realize there isn't a BGE thread here yet?  or have I missed it?  I would have thought that would have been one of the first ones!  

This one was GOING TO BE on the Big Green Egg, but it was raining cats and dogs and I was/am just getting over a bad cold, so I opted for an indoor, follow-the-recipe effort.   Next time though..    STAND BY!  

Loundry, wasn't it going to be done outside?  Stand up for me here....?

I have not uncovered my BGE since I got back from Fla. on Nov. 27th.. It is coming, it is coming..    8)
The Mickey Mouse flu really had me down.  
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:38:39 PM by GadgetGeek »

Loundry

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2009, 12:41:06 PM »

that does lead me to realize there isn't a BGE thread here yet?  or have I missed it?  I would have thought that would have been one of the first ones! 

This one was GOING TO BE on the Big Green Egg, but it was raining cats and dogs and I was/am just getting over a bad cold, so I opted for an indoor, follow-the-recipe effort.   Next time though..    STAND BY!   

Loundry, wasn't it going to be done outside?  Stand up for me here....?

Yes, sir!  Charcoal-fired ovens FTW!  Start it low and slow, remove, then crank it up to get the caramelized glaze.  Mmm...

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2009, 11:50:34 AM »

Terrific dinner last night. Sortofa Beef roast like grandma used to make (CP said), but with Thai Chiles, and a good rich tomato sauce to pool in a reservoir on/in the mashed potatoes.  Wonderful full tilt salad to start it off and a bit of Christmas planning.

What a country...

no pictures.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2009, 08:17:52 AM »
I worked through lunch yesterday and then we went out to get a Christmas tree but the weather was so crappy we just gave up and came home. My body was craving somthing good and nourishing so I threw together an Indian inspired meal of lentils, chickpeas and basmati rice. Very nice flavors and so good on a cold damp night. I don't cook lentils often but they are so good, I plan on making a soup from the leftovers.