Author Topic: What's for dinner?  (Read 222339 times)

Offline FlyinBrian

Re: What's for dinner?
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »
I broke out my late, great, Sicilian grandma's magic pot to make a simple tomato sauce and rotini tonight.  I used Progresso crushed tomatoes because that's what we had.  I also will use Pomi and Cento on occasion.  I usually grab the crushed or whole and crush them myself.  I prefer a thicker,chunkier sauce.  I didn't cook the sauce too long so it still had a good bite to it.

-B

geonuc

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2009, 03:45:12 AM »
I usually grab the crushed or whole and crush them myself. 
I admit that the reason I prefer whole canned tomatoes is that I like to crush them myself with my fingers.  ;D

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2009, 08:09:06 AM »
We had a nice meal last night. I marinated boneless, skinless chicken thighs in soy, fish sauce, hot and sweet chili sauces, lime and garlic and grilled them on the Egg. We had basmati rice and steamed broccolini as sides. Good simple meal.

geonuc

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 06:04:54 AM »
It was a Thailand kind of night:

First, Thai beef from the cookbook "Totally Hot!", one of my oldest. Bison flank steak from Whole Paycheck, serrano and jalapeno chiles, shitake mushrooms (not in the cookbook recipe) and several other ingredients. I marinated the steak in red wine and dark soy and intended to do so for only a few hours, but I found myself unwilling to cook that night. So the beef got marinated well over 24 hours. I was worried, but it turned out great. I think bison might not be as tender as cow, so maybe the extra marinating helps.

Second, pad thai, from Mai Pham's "The Best of Vietnamese and Thai Cooking". I followed this recipe pretty closely. She makes it with pre-blanched broccoli.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 10:22:12 AM »
Nice looking meal Geonuc. I cooked chicken breast a couple of evenings ago. Seared them quickly in a hot pan and then poached them in Thanksgiving gravy. They were seriously good with sides of beans and serlihon. Serlihon is fast becoming one of my favorite veggies.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2009, 12:00:26 PM »
It was a Thailand kind of night:          <<  Huge edit >>   

Nice going Geo.   Though is seems like a lot of food for one night, I'd like to have been at the table sampling some of it.

The Airline Flu has me down a bit, from our trip back from FLA., I'll be cooking up a storm in the next few days..

Your post and pics also look good Andy.

FlyinBrian, you are going to have to whip some of those age old recipes on us one evening, I am hankering for some good Italian.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

geonuc

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2009, 12:21:29 PM »
Nice looking meal Geonuc. I cooked chicken breast a couple of evenings ago. Seared them quickly in a hot pan and then poached them in Thanksgiving gravy. They were seriously good with sides of beans and serlihon. Serlihon is fast becoming one of my favorite veggies.
Thanks - yours too. I have not heard of serlihon. An asian green perhaps?

Nice going Geo.   Though is seems like a lot of food for one night, I'd like to have been at the table sampling some of it.

The Airline Flu has me down a bit, from our trip back from FLA., I'll be cooking up a storm in the next few days..
Thanks also, GG. The pad thai was a single serving and the thai beef makes for good lunches.

Hope you feel better soon.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2009, 12:27:42 PM »
Sherilon is available at most Asian markets. YDFM has it and it is cheap, like .99 a pound. I first had it at Frank Ma's. By the way I got an email that YDFM is having cooking classes on Saturdays, need to check that out.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2009, 12:47:28 PM »
sherlihon is basically a chinese mustard green. It's tastylicious. I've seen it at every asian market.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2009, 10:22:58 AM »
{Happy to find the new(ish) board...}

How exactly do you cook sherlihon?  I too was introduced to it through one of the Frank Ma dinners, but I've never bought it myself to cook at home.  It seems more delicate than my Americanized view of greens like collard or turnip, but that's just a guess.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2009, 10:36:19 AM »
i just stir fry it on its own, or in other dishes. Just like using bok choy, yu choy or any other chinese green. It's not as pungent as american mustard greens.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2009, 01:33:54 PM »
It is softer than turnip greens and of course collards. I just chop it up, use a little olive oil and a crushed garlic clove or two and cook it covered with just a little bit of water. It cooks in 15-20 minutes

Offline Marmite Loving Euniculus

• Email
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2009, 07:13:34 PM »
Roasted a whole chicken after slicking it down with olive oil and spices. Almost looked too pretty to eat when removed from the oven.

Threw together a simple mixed green salad and some Naan style garlic bread. Yummy!

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2009, 07:20:31 PM »
There used to be a time when i had a chance to make dinner. That was before my daughter.....:)

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2009, 07:44:29 PM »
LOL, Jason. Funny how much having a little one impacts one's eating habits. Our daughter just turned three last week and we are finally, finally, able to begin eating things like pho or brunch on the weekends with her (without stressing the entire time!). Our lesiurely times cooking fancy food together are still on hiatus, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there. It just keeps kepping better and better.

Oh, and we had spaghetti and meatballs with a ceasar salad and garlic bread tonight. Old school Italian American with some help from Trader Joe's sauce. The meat for the meatballs was ground beef from Patak (no pork or veal) and it was suprisingly delicious.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 07:46:52 PM by LizR »