Author Topic: What's for dinner?  (Read 222501 times)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: What's for dinner?
« Reply #1815 on: August 21, 2015, 06:38:27 PM »

Sometimes it just doesn't work out.     Planned a nice dry aged steak, baked potato and salad tonight, but schedules got changed, lateness descended and now it is sandwiches and melon.   That steak will be way, way good tomorrow. 

Drat... 

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1816 on: August 26, 2015, 05:10:30 PM »

Doing a Cooking Light recipe tonight

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/eggplant-involtini

Slice the eggplant about this thick, then grill or broil it for 4 minutes a side to dry it out and loosen it up

Roll them up, place them seam side down on 1/2 of the tomato sauce, cover them with the rest of the sauce and some good Parmesan

Sprinkle them with some chopped fresh Basil and serve them, we did not do a starch that evening, but a bit of a crusty roll would have wonderful

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 11:25:08 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1817 on: September 05, 2015, 05:39:06 PM »

Tomatoes and Okra are in full season.  I picked up a ton of tomatoes from the Snellville Farmers Market and a like load of green Okra to make Okra and tomatoes.  It is an old, old dish, and the recipe I have goes back to colonial times.   I shred a whole white, young potato, a half of onion sliced .05mm thick and a heady amount (unmeasured) of peeled, and seeded tomatoes chopped into a saute pan that had a smoked bacon rind and a half a cup of white wine sauteeing for about a half hour.  I add the okra only after I see that the tomato mixture is sortof sticking to the pan.  I let that cook for about 30+ minutes and then add a good amount of grains of paradise, white pepper and a small amount of salt.   I let that cook until I think it is cooked and ready then serve it. 

This is a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants recipe each time, we have NEVER thrown it out. 

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 02:05:29 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1818 on: September 30, 2015, 07:05:40 PM »

Amazing dinner yet to be served at 8:01pm.    A long shortrib braise (rather than Sous Vide) on Sunday with ALL of the right things in the braise, and some recent baking potatoes (baked) with an ordinary (for us) monster salad for dinner. 

I have not yet done this but I'm about to remove the short ribs from the Dutch Oven, strain the liquid, de-fat the liquid and made a simple sauce to nap the short-ribs and potatoes.   

I will take a chip to the camera but I am UBER hungry and do not know if I'll be able to take pics ......   

Great 14 day aged (in my garage fridge) short ribs, they are smelling the house up right. 

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #1819 on: October 13, 2015, 05:04:40 PM »
I made the Barbara Lynch braised short ribs yesterday. That is an awesome recipe.

Tonight is a hodge podge of caprese salad, asparagus, and catfish sloppy Louie. Oh, and I also made the Genius Recipes' hummus from scratch. It is a big hit with the family!

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1820 on: October 13, 2015, 06:24:50 PM »
I made the Barbara Lynch braised short ribs yesterday. That is an awesome recipe.

Tonight is a hodge podge of caprese salad, asparagus, and catfish sloppy Louie. Oh, and I also made the Genius Recipes' hummus from scratch. It is a big hit with the family!

Again though I like the Sous Vide, I absolutely love my/our braised short ribs.  I tied these last ones up, seared them well and gave them 3 1/2 hours with all of the good things. Removed the short ribs, dumped the cooked vegetables, de-fatted the wonderful broth and set them aside for a day or two until we had time to do the right handful of veggies and reheat that beef and sauce it with that semi-ugly but delicious sauce...

So what is the Genius recipe, I have 5 from Cooking Light that I have not tried but will. 

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #1821 on: October 19, 2015, 11:58:35 AM »
It is this one: https://food52.com/recipes/22888-yotam-ottolenghi-sami-tamimi-s-basic-hummus

The neat trick is to toss
 the soaked beans in a pot with dry baking soda (no added water) for a few minutes. It dramatically decreased the cooking time, so much so that when I checked them after about 35 minutes they were almost TOO soft. I used less tahini. It was incredibly smooth and both husband and daughter proclaimed it "delicious".

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1822 on: October 19, 2015, 02:18:55 PM »
It is this one: https://food52.com/recipes/22888-yotam-ottolenghi-sami-tamimi-s-basic-hummus

The neat trick is to toss
 the soaked beans in a pot with dry baking soda (no added water) for a few minutes. It dramatically decreased the cooking time, so much so that when I checked them after about 35 minutes they were almost TOO soft. I used less tahini. It was incredibly smooth and both husband and daughter proclaimed it "delicious".

I will try that.. My last batch sadly got soaked, cooked and sat and soured while we were busy in our lives..

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #1823 on: October 20, 2015, 02:34:06 PM »
FYI - I just did a quick soak - bring to a boil, boil for a few minutes, let sit an hour and then drain and proceed. Worked just fine. I used Kroger dried garbanzos and next time I think I'll try something like Goya, just to compare how they hold up.

Tonight is a Polish sausage, sauerkraut and noodle bake.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1824 on: October 21, 2015, 06:23:31 PM »
FYI - I just did a quick soak - bring to a boil, boil for a few minutes, let sit an hour and then drain and proceed. Worked just fine. I used Kroger dried garbanzos and next time I think I'll try something like Goya, just to compare how they hold up.

Tonight is a Polish sausage, sauerkraut and noodle bake. 

I have always used Goya.. 

Tonight is a few lamb arm chops done my same-old way.   brown, then remove, wipe the pan add new oil and saute some onions and things add some seasoning ( this time it is Moroccan seasoning from our guy Greg at Snellville Farmers Market) add the chops back, add some beef or chicken stock and set it on low for 40 minutes.    Baked potatoes and a final flurry of quick sauteed spinach with garlic and that Blis fish sauce at the finish.    Not early but good.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1825 on: December 05, 2015, 07:34:35 PM »

Is it okay on a BIG Saturday when football has been the issue and even though you have things in the fridge to fix and eat that you just have a chunk of just-bought cake and call it an evening ?

It is 8:30 and I do NOT feel like cranking up the anything for dinner.   

Offline MadBob

« Reply #1826 on: December 06, 2015, 07:34:48 AM »
That beat out my supper.....
A bag of Baconettes, and Cheese-It's, Peppered Cashews and a bottle of water.... but then, I was elsewhere away from my kitchen and I was waiting. But I did get to watch most of the Alabama/Floriduh game!
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1827 on: December 06, 2015, 07:56:53 PM »

I picked up some super thinly sliced lamb from Buford Hiway Farmers Mkt yesterday and am making them into a Philly (without cheese) cheese steak sandwich with Finch Creek Farms baby collards (washed and drained again though they probably didn't need it) mayonaisse, and baby collards as the lettuce, a red onion sliced 3mm thick in the pan with roasted peanut oil before I add the lamb and gently toss it to heat through.  We do have a store-bought potato salad as a side and a container of olives from a former dinner. 

This will turn out WAY better than the Falcons game. 

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #1828 on: December 10, 2015, 11:50:41 AM »
That sandwich sounds good and interesting. Was the thinly sliced lamb in the prepackaged area? I don't think I've ever noticed it.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1829 on: December 10, 2015, 05:43:54 PM »
That sandwich sounds good and interesting. Was the thinly sliced lamb in the prepackaged area? I don't think I've ever noticed it. 

MwS>-    Liz it was not that good, it could have been veal..  It was in the frozen section almost to the fish section in BHFM.   I have bought it before and it tasted like lamb, but this did not.  The sandwich was good enough but the meat itself left me wanting.