Author Topic: What's for dinner?  (Read 303711 times)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: What's for dinner?
« Reply #1785 on: December 24, 2014, 08:55:58 AM »
Cooked a fresh whole ham. After all was said and done, I packaged up the leftovers in (more or less) equal portions, including the bone. Then I got busy picking thru and cleaning 4 pounds of pinto beans. Rinsed well, covered with two inches of cold water and set stove to on position.
After reaching boil, reduced to simmer, added a handful of minced fresh garlic and a couple of red onions, and a hand full of fresh course ground black pepper (I like using my cordless drill with my pepper mill for this chore).
As I keep stirring with a spatula (to scrape the pan bottom) frequently, I can monitor the water level and add a shaker glass of cold water to keep the water level up just above the beans. After about 40 minutes or so I add the ham bone and around 8-10 cups of diced ham. We like around 60/40 bean to ham ratio.
Keeping the water level as previously mentioned, I simmer for about 3 1/2 hours, and the liquid turns to a very nice brown thick sauce like consistency.
No need for any chopped red onion and xtra sharp chedder cheese though, but it does add another tasty element!
To the foodsaver machine goes the excess.
Now with a clean double boiler, a gallon of fresh shucked medium select Gulf Oysters, a gallon of excellent fresh whole milk, a pound of unsalted butter and a hand full of fresh course ground black pepper, Oyster Stew. Cayenne Pepper and Oyster Crackers are all you need. No potatoes, no cream, nothing else.

That all sounds good Bob..    strangely especially the oysters. 

Merry Christmas to you...

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline MadBob

« Reply #1786 on: December 25, 2014, 07:39:53 AM »
Last night Daughter fired up the cast iron skillet. She pan fried in butter (unsalted of course) thin cut rib eye steaks, sauteed red onions and mushrooms, and heaped portions on a home made garlic bread made with French hamburger buns, and added Lobster Claw meat that was sauteed in garlic, butter, old bay and parsley. Quite the "house" burger!
To coin a phrase: "Bet you can't eat just one"!
Oh, and Merry Christmas to you Mike and Family!
Now on to the bacon ends and chedder/sriracha scones to add to the leftover oyster stew for breakfast!
Happy Day!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 07:43:21 AM by MadBob »
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1787 on: December 25, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »

I personally want to hear how FlyinBrian's Christmas dinner turned out?   He was doing something special with a big rib roast (or rib eye) and I haven't heard.. 

Our dinner was pleasant, small and very cozy.   

Offline MadBob

« Reply #1788 on: December 28, 2014, 05:46:11 AM »
Oysters in the shell, Grilled on the bbq, with some Ring of Fire hot sauce... Just right for out of the bottle on steamed in the shell oysters...
http://www.mikeanddianes.com/engine/cart/details.aspx?id=1
And some Kielbasa because it goes great grilled with oysters, and a crowd.
Suck it up.
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

Offline MadBob

« Reply #1789 on: January 04, 2015, 06:47:42 AM »
What could be better on a rainy day huh? Chili! (I am sure there is plenty of other stuff though).
Lessee, 3 lbs of cubed sirloin, 4 lbs of ground sirloin, unsalted butter for sauteing the meat and vegetables: parsley, red, yellow, orange, green bell peppers (I like a little color), red onions and fresh garlic, stewed, whole, and tomato puree, kidney beans, salt, pepper, cumin, brown sugar, chili powder and a little habanero tabasco (okay a hefty amount, I like the edge that it gives), and a pan of sweet corn bread.
Now, I have enough left over to portion up and freeze for a later date.

Offline MadBob

« Reply #1790 on: January 11, 2015, 08:18:55 AM »
Seasoned a flat cut brisket yesterday with a dry habanero based rub and then put it in the foodsaver machine to remove the air.
This morning, I fired up up the Big Rust Colored 55 Gallon Drum and set the charcoal to 250 dg.
Then, I made a tight bacon weave and put on top of the brisket, and added some soaked hickory slices and set to work smoking with indirect heat... This oughta be good.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1791 on: January 11, 2015, 07:07:57 PM »

Some of that LO five spices Sous Vide chicken thighs and some wide noodles with our garden but frozen peas and an onion/garlic/shallot ----- and vegetable melange. 

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1792 on: February 18, 2015, 02:45:55 PM »

I just put three racks of baby back ribs (still frozen) back in the freezer, and 4 nice salmon side I was going to cold smoke tomorrow.   I just don't have time..    And it is cold outside, and I don't want to cold smoke indoors, nor fiddle with the Big Green Egg outdoors in this 20ยบ weather. Later in the month is soon enough. 

I so wanted to do those ribs and to smoke that salmon, but the Lord, the weather and our schedule got in the way. 

Offline MadBob

« Reply #1793 on: March 01, 2015, 06:34:30 AM »
Just dialed in 3 1/2 dozen Enchiladas with the usual ground chuck, red onion,black olives, garlic, ortega chilis and cheese. Lots of extra sharp chedder and monterey jack. Layered it up 2 hi with extra enchilada sauce between the layers and the filling between the layers and on top to cover. And some Rosarito refried beans...

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1794 on: March 15, 2015, 02:14:52 PM »

What's for breakfast..

It is so good to do home-cooked, home-grown red wattle sausage and good toast and easy-over eggs for Sunday breakfast..  Sure it is nice to go find breakfast out but relaxed is way good.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1795 on: March 29, 2015, 04:18:46 PM »

Doing a small pork shoulder on the Big Green Egg, but NOT for pulled pork.  Going to make a regular pork roast with stabbed in garlic and rosemary.  This is a half (the good half) of a Tamworth self-raised hog pork shoulder. Doing some mashed potatoes, and an unknown vegetable with it.  I MIGHT take pictures. 

This is the last of that delicious Tamworth hog, now I move on to the more recent Red Wattle hogs that we harvested a month ago..

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1796 on: April 08, 2015, 06:28:17 PM »

Into a nice medium hot pan goes guanciale (stuffed), but sliced thin and diced, some onion (lot's of onion) a zucchini, a part of a fennel bulb sauteed and soft.  Add to to it three slabs of chicken tenders dices and let it go for a few minutes with some white wine and some white pepper.  Turn it off and let it rest.  When the call comes from my dear working wife, I'll have time to drop the store-bought tortellini and turn the heat up on the pan of veggies and protein and serve in a one-bowl fashion.   I may plate it, but I'll see how I feel when the time comes.

Now THAT is dinner tonight. 

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1797 on: April 09, 2015, 08:01:15 PM »

I have some FRESH from the boat Bruswich, GA white shrimp (head on) to fix tonight. I might poach them in a broth made from the heads and shells and serve with some gingered-rice and a salad. When you 'got the shrimps, cook the shrimps.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 04:17:20 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #1798 on: April 16, 2015, 06:33:27 PM »
If there is not a recipe for Hungarian, free-form spaghetti sauce I have invented it tonight.   

Some frozen chuck in large grind chunks intended for chile but frozen to save the chuck-meat.
carrots 2 diced
garlic 6 cloves
a huge white onion
some celery 2 ribs
a whole box of mushrooms of some kind 8oz.
some unknown vegetable that my wife will bring home (possibly fennel)
wine
jarred sauce (mushroom)

Noodles/pasta of choice.   I have a chance at 7:33 to call out an order for pasta but I think I'll go with wide Hungarian noodles. 

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 02:41:49 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #1799 on: April 29, 2015, 12:32:01 PM »
Made a creamy saffron and mushroom dish with chicken gizzards this past weekend. It involves boiling the gizzards until tender and them combining them with a spicy sauce. The gizzards always take way longer than I think that they will and I was running behind on time. Hubby suggested the pressure cooker. I will never cook them any other way going forward. Half and hour in the pressure cooker and they were transformed into satiny little nuggets of dark meat goodness.

Found these for less than a dollar a pound at BHFM. While there was a lot of waste trimmed off, they easily made four + servings for a total of $2.