Author Topic: What's for dinner?  (Read 249392 times)

Offline TrickyD

Re: What's for dinner?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 06:47:07 PM »
Kinda off topic, but what's your egg setup?  (I saw your flickr pics).  Is there a reason you keep the 1/2 stone in there when your not using it?  I need some new eggsessories, and I've kinda shied away from the 1/2 stone.  Do you cook anything but pizza / bread on it?

Shrimp and grits looks really tasty btw.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 03:06:07 PM »
Kinda off topic, but what's your egg setup?  (I saw your flickr pics).  Is there a reason you keep the 1/2 stone in there when your not using it?  I need some new eggsessories, and I've kinda shied away from the 1/2 stone.  Do you cook anything but pizza / bread on it?

Shrimp and grits looks really tasty btw.  

I really like the half stone and the rack that goes on top of it for finishing food items over indirect heat once I have a sear on them or grill marks.  It was on the grill when I did the shrimp (and it was upside down), so the heat would clean the yuck off from the stone from my last BGE use.  When I use skewers (metal or wooden), I try to keep one end of them away from the indirect heat so I can turn the skewers more easily, this time they were resting up on the half-round.

Here is a better picture of the half-round stone with the rack on it, I use it about half the time that I'm grilling anything unless I have a plate-setter (for indirect cooking), on the grill.  I have never cooked directly on the half-round stone, but if I ever make half-round pizzas I might give it a try?     ;)

Here is that better picture of the stone and rack in use.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49637895@N00/3701536701/in/set-72157603021266501/

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 03:07:50 PM by GadgetGeek »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 07:38:06 AM »
Haven't made a lasagna in quite a while so last night I put on together that was very good. Lots of mozzarella, parmagian and ricotta, I didn't say it was low fat. I added anchovies to my tomato sauce which gave it quite a kick. A nice salad and baguette with garlic butter on the side and that was dinner.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 08:00:06 AM »
That photograph is inspiratiional. There's also been a long delay since my last homemade lasagna, which I'm thinking should be remedied. Do you add anything special other than anchovies to your sauce? I make a puttanesca with the fishies and black olives but maybe that would be too weird for lasagna.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 08:57:54 AM »
My tomato sauce has been a work in progress for years but lately I think simpler is better. Just EVOO, sliced garlic cloves, canned tomatoes and fresh thyme and basil. My wife bought me a can of salted anchovies so I wanted to finish up some we have opened in oil, so that is why I used them last night. They added a nice complexity to the sauce, I used 3 anchovies, 1 or 2 would probably been enough.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:07:53 PM by AndyBoy »

Offline Minerva

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 10:28:30 AM »
In our household, three would also be the magic number. Is there a brand of tomatoes you favor over another? I have used them all, and I really do like the San Marzano, but I always choke at the price tag.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

geonuc

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 11:38:43 AM »
Is there a brand of tomatoes you favor over another? I have used them all, and I really do like the San Marzano, but I always choke at the price tag.
I really like Muir Glen fire-roasted tomatoes, crushed.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 01:12:57 PM »
San Marzano and Muir Glen are good products but last night I only had Progresso which aren't too bad either. My very favorite are Bionaturae, an organic tomato from Tuscany. They are delicious but I don't see them very often. Whole Foods on W. Paces carries them.

geonuc

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 04:45:40 PM »
I've tried the Bionaturae and it is good. Whole Foods Midtown carries it as well, I think*. But I like the fire-roasted tomatoes better.

*Edit: I'm sure they do now - I checked my pantry and I have two cans of Bionaturae, most probably bought at WF.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 04:45:53 AM by geonuc »

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 08:22:23 PM »
Pomi' are, to me, the best, non-San Marzano grocery maters. Ingredients: Tomatoes.

If you belong to costco they have La Nina brand San Marzano maters which are outstanding for like $3 for a gigantic can. They aren't the certified San Marzano, but they are really really good.

geonuc

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2009, 04:48:40 AM »
It's kind of funny. Despite how much canned foods are reviled in foodie circles (not by me, but I'm not a foodie), canned tomatoes seem to be a notable exception. Not only are there tons of great options, but in a lot of recipes, canned is the better choice over fresh.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2009, 07:37:20 AM »
One reason I like canned tomatoes, I'll admit, is because they're salty.  You have to add a considerable amount of salt to fresh tomatoes to get them to taste as salty as canned tomatoes.

Another reason I like them is because they're pickle-y. The heating process that puts them in the can slightly cooks them and the acid pickles them at that moment, so they really are a different ingredient than fresh tomatoes.

I do like San Marzano and Pomi, but lots of other brands are perfectly suitable, in my opinion. For tomato sauces, most other brands will do just fine for my recipes, because the flavor of my sauces comes from the other ingredients, like garlic and herbs.

I'd guess the reason why this is a notable exception is because tomatoes don't freeze well, and yet they really aren't nearly as good out of season, so since not using tomatoes at all for a majority of the year is a bad option, canning is a necessity. I guess it would look nicer for foodies if they were still canned in jars.

Why is it called canning when it's really put in a jar?
Food is my favorite.

geonuc

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2009, 08:56:33 AM »
Because 'jarring' sounds really, ummm, jarring?  :D

geonuc

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 05:04:20 AM »
As with the previous weekend, last night was spring rolls, or basil rolls as some call them. Fish and tofu pan fried in sesame oil. I have pictures this time.

Offline Marmite Loving Euniculus

• Email
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 11:40:10 AM »
A friend of mine got me hooked on Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes. I use them in many dishes.

The Pomi tomatoes are good too.

Tonight is corned beef with potatoes and cabbage. Nice meal for this dreary weather.