Author Topic: Argentinian style steaks  (Read 4885 times)

Offline Corky

Argentinian style steaks
« on: June 11, 2010, 06:03:07 PM »
Speaking to a friend today about cooking steaks, we were talking methods, etc. He mentioned coating the steak (rib-eye) with salt (which I agree with) and letting it sit for 4-5 hours, then lightly coating the steak with corn starch, put steak in freezer for :30-:45 minutes before cooking on a hot grill. (he's a yankee so he calls it BBQing, just had to throw that in for grins, if y'all have read any of my previous posts). I have never heard of putting corn starch on a grilling steak. How many of you know of this practice, and if so, what do you think about it?  For the life of me, I don't see how this is Argentinian. I don't go to a lot of fancy steak houses, but I don't live in a trailer park either and I like to cook, otherwise I wouldn't be here. I'm just not as fancy as some of you. Just looking for an opinion.
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: Argentinian style steaks
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 06:25:28 PM »
Speaking to a friend today about cooking steaks, we were talking methods, etc. He mentioned coating the steak (rib-eye) with salt (which I agree with) and letting it sit for 4-5 hours, then lightly coating the steak with corn starch, put steak in freezer for :30-:45 minutes before cooking on a hot grill. (he's a yankee so he calls it BBQing, just had to throw that in for grins, if y'all have read any of my previous posts). I have never heard of putting corn starch on a grilling steak. How many of you know of this practice, and if so, what do you think about it?  For the life of me, I don't see how this is Argentinian. I don't go to a lot of fancy steak houses, but I don't live in a trailer park either and I like to cook, otherwise I wouldn't be here. I'm just not as fancy as some of you. Just looking for an opinion.

Interesting.  I'd have to hear why he puts the corn starch on his steak though ?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 07:56:05 PM »

Offline Corky

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 08:06:50 AM »
Thank you for the link. Seems to make sense. Guess I'll just have to try it.

Weird but intriguing:

http://www.cookscountry.com/recipe.asp?recipeids=5591&bdc=67092

You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 08:45:15 AM »
Speaking to a friend today about cooking steaks, we were talking methods, etc. He mentioned coating the steak (rib-eye) with salt (which I agree with) and letting it sit for 4-5 hours, then lightly coating the steak with corn starch, put steak in freezer for :30-:45 minutes before cooking on a hot grill. (he's a yankee so he calls it BBQing, just had to throw that in for grins, if y'all have read any of my previous posts). I have never heard of putting corn starch on a grilling steak. How many of you know of this practice, and if so, what do you think about it?  For the life of me, I don't see how this is Argentinian. I don't go to a lot of fancy steak houses, but I don't live in a trailer park either and I like to cook, otherwise I wouldn't be here. I'm just not as fancy as some of you. Just looking for an opinion.  

Reading my Cooks Illustrated, seems like your friend is reading it too ?

Worth a try...  

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 09:30:19 AM »
that's weird....and doesn't sound argentiniean to me...but i don't know!
i might have to try it though.

Offline Corky

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »
After talking to him again, he did get the recipe from CI. He mentioned he made chimichurri to go with it. Hence, his definition of Argentinean steak. I agree, I don't think the CI recipe would be considered to be from South America.

I'll be doggoned though, if I will add corn starch to my steak. I think I could dry the steak enough with paper towels before cooking. Am I wrong?
Charles Kuralt

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 07:26:24 PM »
Even leaving it uncovered in teh fridge for a day will dry it out more than enough. No need to cornstarch.
Presalt, leave on cake rack uncovered in fridge overnight. Good to go.