Author Topic: Is there a way to "ignore" users?  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Girly

Is there a way to "ignore" users?
« on: June 11, 2010, 04:58:45 PM »
I've found this feature quite handy on other message boards - sometimes it's just easier to not even have to look at posts from folks you wouldn't read and makes it cleaner if you're using a netbook, ipad or smartphone.

Yes, I know it's a weenie way to avoid someone, but seriously, trying to scroll down pages and pages of postings is a royal pain when you know you have no interest in reading them and your screen real estate is small.

Offline FlyinBrian

Re: Is there a way to "ignore" users?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 02:56:39 PM »
First and foremost, I must apologize for not answering this sooner.   :-[

At this time I don't see a modification (mod) for Simple Machnines Forum that works with this version.

-B

Offline MadBob

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 06:17:30 AM »
I've found this feature quite handy on other message boards - sometimes it's just easier to not even have to look at posts from folks you wouldn't read and makes it cleaner if you're using a netbook, ipad or smartphone.

Yes, I know it's a weenie way to avoid someone, but seriously, trying to scroll down pages and pages of postings is a royal pain when you know you have no interest in reading them and your screen real estate is small.

I read Brian's response and was somewhat perplexed by his "not answering sooner" (June question July answer), then after re-reading your post I understand why... your post was dated almost a year ago (June 2010).
Have you tried just clicking on the latest page instead of starting on page #1? Some topics have 40 plus pages and sometimes when I click on a topic I realize that for whatever reason it starts on the first page, then I notice the date when it started, like in April of 09 or sumpin, so I click on the current page.   Just trying to help  ;D
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 09:26:42 AM »

I read Brian's response and was somewhat perplexed by his "not answering sooner" (June question July answer), then after re-reading your post I understand why... your post was dated almost a year ago (June 2010).
Have you tried just clicking on the latest page instead of starting on page #1? Some topics have 40 plus pages and sometimes when I click on a topic I realize that for whatever reason it starts on the first page, then I notice the date when it started, like in April of 09 or sumpin, so I click on the current page.   Just trying to help  ;D

Yes, the fact of the matter is that this squarely falls in my lap, however I had not been checking for such.  The board had been in a holding pattern, infrastructure wise, for quite sometime waiting on the release of SMF 2.0.

Offline Girly

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 09:35:32 AM »
No sweat - if it had been a biggie I would have asked again ;) Actually, IIRC, Mike got in touch w/ me about this back when I posted it. Basically I was reading on the Blackberry and it was difficult to read some of the "longer winded" posts. Problem solved by hitting this site more on the laptop instead :)

Thanks!!!

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 09:44:45 AM »
I didn't see an explicit answer to the original question.  For anyone's benefit reading this in the future, the option does exist in your profile settings, by populating and enabling your ignore list.  Don't know if SMF supported this prior to V2.0 but it is there now!
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 09:52:24 AM »
No sweat - if it had been a biggie I would have asked again ;) Actually, IIRC, Mike got in touch w/ me about this back when I posted it. Basically I was reading on the Blackberry and it was difficult to read some of the "longer winded" posts. Problem solved by hitting this site more on the laptop instead :)

Thanks!!!

You might want to try it again on your BB since the board has been updated.

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 09:53:34 AM »
I didn't see an explicit answer to the original question.  For anyone's benefit reading this in the future, the option does exist in your profile settings, by populating and enabling your ignore list.  Don't know if SMF supported this prior to V2.0 but it is there now!
Thanks Mike! I'm learning something new about SMF all the time.
-B