Author Topic: GW (Great Wall)  (Read 1859 times)

Offline bettylouski

GW (Great Wall)
« on: June 07, 2010, 01:48:22 PM »
This is one of the new Asian markets near Gwinnett Place recently mentioned by Kessler.  On yet another trip to auto row hell to retrieve the car, I decided to stop by and check it out.  It's in the old Target near the NE corner of Pleasant Hill and Satellite.  They are a chain with several locations in NY, Boston and DC.  The place is huge, clean and has similar stock to the other nearby markets (SuperH and Assi) and some good grand opening specials - cherries $1.99/lb, pineapples for $.99 (they were also giving them out for free after you checked out), Ataulfo mangoes 3/$.99, huge delicious cantaloupes for $1.99.  HK friend had indicated that they also had good specials on lobster & shrimp, but I didn't see them.  Smallish food court compared to the competition.  I'm not sure the area can support yet another similar market, especially with the yet to be opened one coming soon to the mall itself. 

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: GW (Great Wall)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 05:25:19 PM »
This is one of the new Asian markets near Gwinnett Place recently mentioned by Kessler.  On yet another trip to auto row hell to retrieve the car, I decided to stop by and check it out.  It's in the old Target near the NE corner of Pleasant Hill and Satellite.  They are a chain with several locations in NY, Boston and DC.  The place is huge, clean and has similar stock to the other nearby markets (SuperH and Assi) and some good grand opening specials - cherries $1.99/lb, pineapples for $.99 (they were also giving them out for free after you checked out), Ataulfo mangoes 3/$.99, huge delicious cantaloupes for $1.99.  HK friend had indicated that they also had good specials on lobster & shrimp, but I didn't see them.  Smallish food court compared to the competition.  I'm not sure the area can support yet another similar market, especially with the yet to be opened one coming soon to the mall itself. 

I just love this market..  I was there today for almost 3 hours...   This, and I hate to say it, beats Super H. that is right down the street..  the fish market alone is simply amazing.  I had my nephew B.J. in tow as I did DEEP research into what they have ...

This is a fun place for me to be sure, and we put off buying a few things because we wanted to see the prices at Assi plaza ..  We should have bought all the groceries and fish at GW. and gone on home.

Nice, I mean really nice size PEI. mussels were $1.99/bag..  I only wish I had time to do them tonight, or I would have bought me two bags...  I am going to make that my regular shop rather than Super H. I think ?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 08:20:51 AM »
We drove out to Great Wall yesterday because my wife had read a review of one of the food court Chinese restaurants and we had lunch there after mostly touring the market. We bought a few items but mainly just looked. I could not believe the fish tanks with fish packed inside. They must sell a hugh amount of them although I didn't see anybody buying any. Good looking lobsters also. The meat cases were a bit mixed up and we were looking for the thinly sliced frozen duck breast that Super H used to sell but no longer does. Sorry, can't remember the name of the restaurant but it was the first one near the front doors. Pretty average food. I had a lamb hot pot and my wife got spicy tofu. Both dishes were okay buy nothing to bring me back again. Super H in Chamblee is much closer to us and BHFM has anything I could find out there but it was a nice excursion to the burbs on a Sunday morning before traffic got too crazy. We stopped at White Windmill bakery for a couple of pastries. I love the Korean bakeries because they use half the sugar and they seem so much lighter and you can actually taste the other ingredients.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 11:01:57 AM »

I predict by the semi-empty shelves and very few employees that GW will close soon..... 

It is a shame but there is a limit to how many of the Super H. Mart type stores that the area can service...

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.