Author Topic: ScoutMob  (Read 24157 times)

Offline Melomom

• About Face
Re: ScoutMob
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2011, 06:48:50 AM »

Offline totm

« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2011, 08:00:56 AM »
I guess we should have used that Peter Cheng's scoutmob deal last Wednesday rather than the Brickery scoutmob deal.  The Brickery deal was crazy.  A free burger with no stipulation on ordering anything else.  A guy at the bar got the burger and water.  Don't know how much he tipped on his free meal.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2011, 08:36:10 AM »
I think they will honour the certificates at P. Chang's -- just not on weekends.

Offline chefmoss

• Email
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2011, 07:41:24 AM »
$10 for $20 at whole foods today on living social!
https://livingsocial.com/deals/123805?ref=conf-jp&rpi=26000647

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2011, 07:25:24 AM »
Sonny's Place on Briarcliff, this should finally get me over there.

Offline totm

« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2011, 07:39:57 AM »
I think they will honour the certificates at P. Chang's -- just not on weekends.
Nope.  Only between 3 and 5 weekdays.  Scoutmob certificate (no fancy phone for totm or V yet) into file 13.  Now if uOTPiaInternationalVulcan, Fungus, and MarqueeMoon want to meet for a very late lunch/early dinner I can get that piece of paper out of the trash.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2011, 10:13:42 AM »
Nope.  Only between 3 and 5 weekdays.  Scoutmob certificate (no fancy phone for totm or V yet) into file 13.  Now if uOTPiaInternationalVulcan, Fungus, and MarqueeMoon want to meet for a very late lunch/early dinner I can get that piece of paper out of the trash.

I could meet ya there too. My office is a block away.

Offline Fooddoc

• Email
Scoutmob
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2011, 05:51:26 PM »
How about a posting topic on Scoutmob experiences/problems/undocumented limitations. 
From another posting I understand there was a problem with The Crawfish Shack but do not know the details.  A while back we intended to use Scoutmob for a lunch at Peter Chang's but did not even try to use it since they had a sign up saying they would only accept Scoutmob for dinner.  We went back a few weeks later for dinner but found out they would not take Scoutmob at all (this time there was a very tiny notice to this effect at the front desk hidden between the lines on a sign displaying the price of gift certificates, which of course we did not see until after ordering and paying for dinner).  Obviously no money was spent upfront and then not honored but it is annoying and it just seems like a bit of false advertising, luring people in for something that does not exist.  We ended up lured twice.  It would be helpful to have a place where people can find out about the Scoutmob experiences of others.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
Re: Scoutmob
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2011, 10:55:14 AM »
I've never had a bad experience and since you don't pay up-front, really no big deal.  I've only used it for places I would normally go --

Biggest complaints are from servers who lose out big-time when people don't tip on what would have been the full amount.

Offline Fooddoc

• Email
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2011, 10:16:27 AM »
I actually am a bit embarrassed and prefer not to use Scoutmob for a place where I already consider myself to be a regular customer.   I would think that the reason an establishment would participate in the first place would be to use the discount as a way to attract someone new who if they like the place might then become a regular customer.  That is why I do resent the rare restaurant that reneges on the offer and feel that I have been taken by false advertising.  I always make sure I tip 18% on the original full amount of the meal.  The servers have always been very cordial and it is clear on the bill what the original charge was. I even do not mind it when the restaurant goes ahead and adds the 18% tip on the original amount - Scoutmob actually states that this may be the case.

Offline jimmy

• Email
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2011, 02:07:54 PM »
I actually am a bit embarrassed and prefer not to use Scoutmob for a place where I already consider myself to be a regular customer.   I would think that the reason an establishment would participate in the first place would be to use the discount as a way to attract someone new who if they like the place might then become a regular customer.  That is why I do resent the rare restaurant that reneges on the offer and feel that I have been taken by false advertising.  I always make sure I tip 18% on the original full amount of the meal.  The servers have always been very cordial and it is clear on the bill what the original charge was. I even do not mind it when the restaurant goes ahead and adds the 18% tip on the original amount - Scoutmob actually states that this may be the case.

+1 - particularly on your first sentence.

Offline Fooddoc

• Email
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2011, 03:15:27 PM »
Sorry to have previously posted in the wrong section. Reading the previous posting regarding Peter Chang's, it looks like they only wanted the deal to bring in customers when no one normally eats, between 3 and 5.  Again I have no problems with any limitations as long as they are pre-stipulated in the original offering, otherwise it is just a form of false advertising.

Does anyone know exactly how the arrangement works between Scoutmob and the restaurant.  Some places don't even take the code and say just come back and use it again.  This sounds very hospitable but I want to be sure that there is no kick back that they are keeping from Scoutmob by not entering the code.

Offline jimmy

• Email
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2011, 05:23:44 PM »
Sorry to have previously posted in the wrong section. Reading the previous posting regarding Peter Chang's, it looks like they only wanted the deal to bring in customers when no one normally eats, between 3 and 5.  Again I have no problems with any limitations as long as they are pre-stipulated in the original offering, otherwise it is just a form of false advertising.

Does anyone know exactly how the arrangement works between Scoutmob and the restaurant.  Some places don't even take the code and say just come back and use it again.  This sounds very hospitable but I want to be sure that there is no kick back that they are keeping from Scoutmob by not entering the code.

There are flat fees based on the number of people that print out the deal, and another fee when a customer redeems using the smart phone app. The smart phone app fee is much higher - $3. I think the print out fee is a buck or something.

If they are not taking the code and just giving the discount, it's likely an attempt to avoid that redemption fee.