Author Topic: ScoutMob  (Read 27158 times)

Offline totm

Re: ScoutMob
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2011, 11:44:16 AM »
The basis for Revel is that you push the link you created to everybody you know (send it to those folks who keep telling you they're ready to wire you 50 mil). Scoutmob keeps track and is supposed to give you a buncha junk for pimping them.

The link won't work until they approve your 'membership'.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 11:56:48 AM by KoPP »

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2011, 08:45:05 AM »

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2011, 12:52:18 PM »
They finally got Revel straightened out, and now there's a contest for a trip to DC. I'd post my link, but I don't think Mike would be very happy about folks here pimping for a website...

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2011, 11:20:25 AM »
Beignet Connection today - good food close to downtown.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2011, 06:16:19 AM »
Little Szechuan today - has anyone been there in recent memory?

Offline totm

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2011, 01:29:53 PM »
I guess it is recent enough if I can still remember it.  Would go there occasionally with co-workers in the first half of 2008.  I kept hoping to find something on the menu akin to Tasty China, Man chun hong, and Chongqing Hot Pot but most of it was Americanized Chinese.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2011, 02:29:18 PM »
I guess it is recent enough if I can still remember it.  Would go there occasionally with co-workers in the first half of 2008.  I kept hoping to find something on the menu akin to Tasty China, Man chun hong, and Chongqing Hot Pot but most of it was Americanized Chinese.

'Nuff said.  Thanks!

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2011, 02:52:29 PM »

'Nuff said.  Thanks!
The Ma Pa and the spicy noodles used to be good (there was a time that you'd get an order of dumplings on the house, which is unfortunately where they belonged), and a buddy of mine used to always want to go there for Sweet and Sour chicken. That being said, we haven't been there for a year.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2011, 08:07:26 PM »
Yeah, I went there quite a bit about 12-15 years ago when it was considered "cutting edge" Chinese cuisine, but haven't been in ages.  I guess it might be worth a Scoutmob visit.

Offline tangomonster

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2011, 03:29:12 PM »
Little Szechuan

We went a couple of weeks ago, after not visiting for the past couple of years.  Used to love it.  Now it just seemed very lackluster.  Prices have skyrocketed---vegetarian entrees are now $12!  Food was just average.  Place just looked and seemed tired.  More than half the tables were empty. 
If you use a coupon, be sure to bring cash----they insist on it.

We won't be going back, even with a coupon (and everyday, there is a deal for LS, albeit on different sites).  Much prefer Chinatown Square at less than half the price.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:48:22 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2011, 06:02:20 PM »
Little Szechuan

Interesting. It's one thing to prefer cash or to only take cash in all cases, but to insist specifically on taking cash when there's a coupon is different, and (probably) illegal.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not entirely against restaurants operating outside of the law, because in many cases, it allows me to eat food that would either be more expensive otherwise, or which might not even be available. Please don't ask me to name names, but we all know who they are. Ethnic restaurants that use hand-written tickets can take in income that is unrecorded, and therefore untaxed, and for some businesses, this makes all the difference between having a successful restaurant and going under. I can think of one of my favorite Vietnamese restaurants that is no longer in existence because he didn't have any untraceable income, and that's sad.

In my opinion, if that restaurant could have been saved, it would be worth setting aside my moral questions about it, but YMMV.
Food is my favorite.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2011, 08:19:55 PM »
Little Szechuan

Interesting. It's one thing to prefer cash or to only take cash in all cases, but to insist specifically on taking cash when there's a coupon is different, and (probably) illegal.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not entirely against restaurants operating outside of the law, because in many cases, it allows me to eat food that would either be more expensive otherwise, or which might not even be available. Please don't ask me to name names, but we all know who they are. Ethnic restaurants that use hand-written tickets can take in income that is unrecorded, and therefore untaxed, and for some businesses, this makes all the difference between having a successful restaurant and going under. I can think of one of my favorite Vietnamese restaurants that is no longer in existence because he didn't have any untraceable income, and that's sad.

In my opinion, if that restaurant could have been saved, it would be worth setting aside my moral questions about it, but YMMV.

Cash-only restaurants are out there, so legality isn't as much a question in my mind. I don't see a problem per se with demanding cash-only on a coupon, but if a restaurant owner wants to play with the IRS, I don't think it would be the first time in history. Just my opinion.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2011, 08:34:10 PM »
If the coupon specified "cash only" then maybe I could see it, but if not, then no way. I rarely carry much cash, preferring to use my Discover card and get cash back. And I don't have an ATM card, so that would really suck to be told after the fact.

I've had some great food at LS, including the only "breath of the wok" experience I have ever had, but that was about 6 years ago. Our return visit a couple years ago was not good. But I also do not like Chef Liu, so what do I know.

And I'm sorry, but I am finally beginning to think that I am one of the few idiots who actually complies with tax law, so I don't have sympathy for the cheats - it just costs me more.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:40:54 PM by LizR »

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2011, 09:07:59 PM »
It says Cash Politely Recommended on the coupon. BUT, if they won't take cards, I'd take it up with both the restaurant AND ScoutMob. I didn't read the offer when it was published - sorry. I assumed that if they only took cash, it would have been stated in the coupon.

P.S. - I let the ScoutMob folks know about the cash-only demand - will pass on the response.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 09:57:27 PM by KoPP »