Author Topic: R.I.P.  (Read 17145 times)

Offline Girly

Re: R.I.P.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 03:45:56 PM »
"Sticks and stone may break my bones but words will never hurt me."

Loundry was a good read but if chooses to leave, he chooses to leave. IME, it's harder on the one leaving than the ones left behind.

2cents

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 04:04:01 PM »
I kinda miss Mangrove Roger from the old board.  Now THERE was an entertaining nut case!

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »
I kinda miss Mangrove Roger from the old board.  Now THERE was an entertaining nut case!

+1

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 05:17:10 PM »
MGR and his lover Condi have kept a low profile the last few years. I wonder if THE TERMINATOR EVER GOT THE ALL CAPS BUTTON FIXED ON HIS COMPUTER.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 05:27:11 AM »
We lost Loundry off of our board yesterday and I hate it.   He was certainly a controversial poster, but he did have a way about experimentation and reviewing his experiments at home that makes him a favorite of mine.
Perhaps we will see him again some day, maybe not. ?
He didn't die, he just signed off of our board, btw..

Just damn.  I really appreciated the way he got you to *think* about his subject matter and not just go with the common flow.  I guess that kind of expression made him a lightening rod for some unnecessarily harsh rebuttals.  Unfortunate.
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 05:33:28 AM »
I guess that kind of expression made him a lightening rod for some unnecessarily harsh rebuttals

No, I don't think his detailed analysis and often very intelligent posts made him a lightening rod.  I think it was his style that aggravated (many) people, not his message.  Face it, some folks come here to relax and talk food and simply don't think every discussion needs to be a brawl where there MUST be a winner and there MUST be a loser.

Offline totm

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 11:33:18 AM »
I guess that kind of expression made him a lightening rod for some unnecessarily harsh rebuttals

No, I don't think his detailed analysis and often very intelligent posts made him a lightening rod.  I think it was his style that aggravated (many) people, not his message.  Face it, some folks come here to relax and talk food and simply don't think every discussion needs to be a brawl where there MUST be a winner and there MUST be a loser.
And whoever is responsible should be lambasted publicly and sent to banned camp for ever.  Oops, wrong board.  ;-)
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Barnum

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 11:38:40 AM »

And whoever is responsible should be lambasted publicly and sent to banned camp for ever.  Oops, wrong board.  ;-)

... lambasted.... tell me more.... does it involve a lot of garlic ?

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 01:15:42 PM »

+1

Offline Corky

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 05:40:39 PM »
We lost Loundry off of our board yesterday and I hate it.   He was certainly a controversial poster, but he did have a way about experimentation and reviewing his experiments at home that makes him a favorite of mine.
Perhaps we will see him again some day, maybe not. ?
He didn't die, he just signed off of our board, btw..

Just damn.  I really appreciated the way he got you to *think* about his subject matter and not just go with the common flow.  I guess that kind of expression made him a lightening rod for some unnecessarily harsh rebuttals.  Unfortunate.

Yes it is unfortunate... I guess some think they are more 'high-falutin' than they really are. I'm sorry to see him go.
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 06:38:08 PM »

I could move this to it's own thread ?

what do you think ?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 07:05:07 AM »
Sure, why not? It doesn't exactly fit the theme, but up ta u.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2010, 07:51:28 AM »
we need a thread discussing someone leaving? hrm...

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 11:18:26 PM »

Musician and artist Don Van Vliet, who performed a complex brand of experimental rock under the name Captain Beefheart, died Friday. He was 69.

One of my early favorites.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 06:49:40 AM »

Musician and artist Don Van Vliet, who performed a complex brand of experimental rock under the name Captain Beefheart, died Friday. He was 69.

One of my early favorites.

Me, too!  Our friends of 35+ years, fiendish fans of the Captain all, have had a round robin e-mail going for several days now with lyrics and remembrances.  I heard DH playing Trout Mask Replica during his exercise routine.  Me, just singing all of the lyrics to songs from Clear Spot. . .