Author Topic: "Bright Flight" and the perils of living OTP  (Read 17456 times)

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
Re: "Bright Flight" and the perils of living OTP
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2010, 04:37:22 PM »
Of course the skywalks are on the same buildings that are nothing but blank concrete walls at street level, which is a way to guarantee that the streets are inhospitable, breeding a situation where you want to be on the skywalks to avoid the inhospitable streets. 

Offline geonuc

• Email
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2010, 05:29:49 PM »
Speaking as someone who attends Dragon*Con every year, I really don't think of the skywalks as an escape from the horrors of the streets. They're just a convenient way to get from hotel to hotel. Until they jam up, that is. Then the street becomes more convenient.

Nothing more than that.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2010, 05:18:53 AM »
Interesting discussion of the skywalks built as protection from the mean and ugly streets of Atlanta.  I worked downtown from 2000-07 and was in the skywalks maybe 3 times.  I had no issues walking the streets.  Got pan handled once in a while... saw and/or smelled things that I could have done without once in a while (thankfully, never had a mushroom incident  ;D )... and yet I survived.  Food comes and goes, but it's hard to deny that a 15 minute walk in almost any direction from Woodruff park gives you a lot of options (some better than others) without having to get into a car, which is more than I can say of my days when I had a ten minute walk to my car in the Lockheed parking lot and then the opportunity to drive to lunch.

To each his own.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2010, 07:01:05 AM »
I work downtown, and aside from some smells (I think NYC stinks a lot worse in the summer) and a few panhandles, I got no problems. Only problem is the act of walking itself - back is acting up again.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2010, 12:57:31 PM »
Working in Sandy Springs, I am jealous of my husband who works just off Centennial Park. They are always going out to lunch and have developed quite a list of places that they can either walk to or drive to in less than 10 minutes. The downtown dinning/lunch scene is MUCH different and better than it was just five years ago. We had this discussion on the old board, IIRC, with lots of folks giving good suggestions on where to eat downtown.

Seems it is a perrenial issue.

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2010, 07:40:43 PM »
All ya'll need to come find me at Dragon*Con next time. And possibly bring me a snack. =) I never leave the Wheel of Time room, so I'm easy to find.

Anyways, my original point, which I think got lost, is that there are just as many culinary wastelands ITP as OTP. It's not some kind of magical land filled with perfect dining options for every wallet.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Loundry

« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2010, 10:30:18 AM »
Of course the skywalks are on the same buildings that are nothing but blank concrete walls at street level, which is a way to guarantee that the streets are inhospitable, breeding a situation where you want to be on the skywalks to avoid the inhospitable streets. 

It wasn't the skywalks that made the streets inhospitable.