Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 8029 times)

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
Re: Cycling
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 02:06:44 PM »
Great stage, absolutely love Alpe d'Huez.  I think the French may have found their star of the future in Rolland.  Rolland is in the top 10, but I wonder if he might have been able to challenge for the podium if he didn't have to take care of Voekler these past 10 days.  His burst in the last 2k today was impressive.

The 20 points today don't really matter because Cav was with Rojas and Gilbert.  It was a big deal yesterday because Rojas was inside the time and Cav and Gilbert were outside.

Evans in Yellow on the Champs Elysee?
Another good story is Danielson - just think if he hadn't waited for Zabrinksky.

Andy S. is actually a pretty good TT, and both Schlecks will have the benefit of Evans starting before them. It's been a great couple of days, and I do think that this year the ride into Paris may not be so ceremonial. Especially if Contador can get within seconds of the Schlecks and Evans. This year it seems that the gentlemen's agreement may get pitched if its close. Tomorrow will tell.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 02:20:41 PM »
Or if Danielson wasn't riding second chair to Vandevelde before he had his issues, actually Danielson sat third in the pecking order on that team coming into this years race behind Vandevelde and Hesjedal.

a top 10 finish and a team class winner is quite a first tour for him
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:22:54 PM by Daniel »

Offline MadBob

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2011, 06:25:13 AM »
Gotta love a guy that can race, and still have the focus to punch a heckler and not break stride...
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2011, 10:34:09 AM »
I was really pulling for Andy, but I guess he just didn't have anything left - he had been working on his time trials, but Evans rode like a demon. No monkey business tomorrow, but there's going to be a lot of 'what if' in the bus tonight.

Personally, I think that the Schlecks should have pushed hard and fast when Evans had the mechanical problems on Friday, but they let him get back on the mountains and actually expected him to help. He knew he had his best chance in the TT and did the smart thing on the course

Congrats to Cadel, and hopefully it'll be a different game next year with no radio communication with the riders - we'll start to see more effort on the course. Hopefully HTC-Highroad picks up a sponsor to keep them going.

Now the only thing to watch is the sprints. But it looks like they are keeeping with the single sprint point on the stage instead of the sprints at the laps of the Champs-Elysees. I really liked the sprints, since it pushed the sprinters time after time.

Offline Sadlebred

• Sadlebred's Website
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2011, 06:50:43 PM »
I'm not a huge Cadel fan, but good on him for having a great time trial. I wonder if he'll bring his little dog up to the podium tomorrow.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2011, 07:29:25 PM »
Evans reminds me of Ullrich - same type of fireplug diesel engine type (although Jan is a bit taller, I think). Their approach to TT is almost exactly the same.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 04:33:11 PM »
Wow -everybody is here in the States instead of Spain.