Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 8025 times)

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
Re: Cycling
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 10:41:33 AM »
Wow - this years race seems like a bunch of amateurs with the number of crashes. So many big names getting hit. I still think the Schleks will do it.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 08:32:15 AM »
It's the Tour de Crash. So many riders are getting beat up in these peloton breakus, it seems that the riders aren't as confident or the course is way too difficult this early.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 09:46:53 AM »
The weather hasn't helped, as well the increasing focus on the green jersey the last few years has caused a lot of overly aggressive riding at the front of the peleton.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 10:05:10 AM »
The reason given on TV coverage is that Contador was so squirrley early on. Don't know if I buy that.

Today's race is a total shame. Won't say anything if folks are DVRing, but this is a crazy ride.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 01:34:20 PM »
Cavendish looks like he's in the twilight years - he was sucking wind after today.

Time to eat my words - he's getting some quality wins. Today had a great sprint finish in the rain putting 3 of the big sprinters up to their best efforts.

Tomorrow - Tourmalet. 2 HC climbs AFTER a Cat 1. Ouch.

Offline Sadlebred

• Sadlebred's Website
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 12:53:18 PM »
Contador---Dropped!
Schlecks 1, Contador 0

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 01:32:09 PM »
Still watching the dvr - therapy this morning, and a stage starting an hour and a half earlier makes for a long sit. The Tourmalet seems to still be an anvil for the Tour. Saturday should be a ride to watch.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 09:24:30 PM »
Watching the evening coverage, I'm thinking that they really need new commentators. Both got the Schleck's strategy (and commentary on Contador looking so comfortable until he cracked) totally wrong. The Schlecks got what they wanted - more time on Contador and Cadel Evans.

Offline Sadlebred

• Sadlebred's Website
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 10:26:28 PM »
Watching the evening coverage, I'm thinking that they really need new commentators. Both got the Schleck's strategy (and commentary on Contador looking so comfortable until he cracked) totally wrong. The Schlecks got what they wanted - more time on Contador and Cadel Evans.

Maybe Bobke could get it right!

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 10:20:21 AM »
Such a finish! I thought it was going to be boring, but an unexpected series of moves make it a great stage to watch.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 06:13:48 AM »
Push comes to shove. If the Schlecks don't start attacking earlier in the climbs, then there's a chance that Evans and Voekler can stick around. And they don't want the Tour decided by the time trial.

Next year, the Tour bans radio communications with the riders. Should get back to better tactical racing. Right now it seems too scripted.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 11:31:34 AM »
Wow - I guess they didn't have it in the tank on a Cat 2 climb. And Evans finally has an attack in him. It'll still be interesting, but not a good stage to be sitting back on your heels.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 11:43:04 AM »
What a stage! If anybody is even remotely interested in cycling, watch tonight on Versus at 8PM. This really is getting to be a nail biter. And one more mountain stage tomorrow that'll be short but brutal.

P.S. - Cavendish had 20 points taken away from his green jersey classification because he finished 2 minutes behind the 'cut-off' time. Since there were 80+ riders in the group, the TdF refs didn't disqualify him or the others, but had to do something to punish him. He still leads the sprint classification, but now it's a lot closer. And there's a lot of points to be had Sunday. Another nail-biter develops.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:08:13 PM by KoPP »

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 11:59:33 AM »
Heh - Contador on the slopes of the Alpe-d'Huez had a spectator who was dressed in scrubs try to give him a fake blood transfusion. Contador didn't appreciate it. That being said, the drunks on the slopes of the climbs were pretty annoying this year. And Cavendish was whacked another 20 points for finishing out of the time limit by a matter of seconds. I don't like it, because the riders don't know what the cut-off time will be until the first rider crosses the finish.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 12:58:56 PM »
Great stage, absolutely love Alpe d'Huez.  I think the French may have found their star of the future in Rolland.  Rolland is in the top 10, but I wonder if he might have been able to challenge for the podium if he didn't have to take care of Voekler these past 10 days.  His burst in the last 2k today was impressive.

The 20 points today don't really matter because Cav was with Rojas and Gilbert.  It was a big deal yesterday because Rojas was inside the time and Cav and Gilbert were outside.

Evans in Yellow on the Champs Elysee?