Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 8026 times)

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
Cycling
« on: May 21, 2010, 10:50:24 AM »
Poor 'ol Lance fall down go boom. Hopefully he'll be OK for the Tour, but he seemed to be acting more as a domestique during the Tour of California. We'll see...

Offline Sadlebred

• Sadlebred's Website
Re: Cycling
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 02:29:39 PM »
Poor 'ol Lance fall down go boom. Hopefully he'll be OK for the Tour, but he seemed to be acting more as a domestique during the Tour of California. We'll see...

He'll be fine, just 8 stitches to his face. The team goal was for Levi Leipheimer to take the overall for the ToC since he's the 3 time defending champion.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 08:39:07 AM »
I still think he had a thought about putting himself in Levi's pocket in case something "went wrong". Remember, he was "supposed" to be supporting Contador last year, but the runout around the third stage changed his thoughts about that...

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 03:55:16 PM »
My question is who will ever take the sport seriously again?  Now that Floyd Landis has admitted to doping and accused Armstrong of showing him the ropes, will anyone believe what they're seeing?  When human competition becomes a contest between pharmaceutically enhanced supermen, will spectators be turned off?

I remember seeing Ben Johnson at the '88 Olympics and being amazed at how big he was compared to the other sprinters, then being even more stunned by how easily he outran Carl Lewis.  When he came up positive for steroids, it suddenly made sense and my interest in the whole Olympics waned.  When Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa had their big runs at Roger Maris's home run record, I was pretty sure both were juiced and took no pleasure in it.  I took even less when the blow-up doll that used to be Barry Bonds broke Hank Aaron's career home run record.

Cycling doesn't have enough goodwill to overcome an image of pervasive cheating.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 05:35:15 PM »
Landis lied about his own and others drug use before - how are we supposed to now take him seriously? I'm not stupid - there's drug use in every sport. But I don't think he holds much credibility.

BTW, here's an article with some of his emails - the guy was digging for a spot on a team rather than trying to 'be helpful with exposing doping'...

http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6610,s1-3-10-22949-1,00.html
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:54:27 PM by KoPP »

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 12:55:21 AM »

Didja see this about possible bike doping ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nd13ARuvVE

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Sadlebred

• Sadlebred's Website
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 03:16:32 PM »

Didja see this about possible bike doping ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nd13ARuvVE

I'm not quite sure I buy it. Cancellara is a World TT Champion. It was an interesting video, though.

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 11:23:56 AM »
Landis lied about his own and others drug use before - how are we supposed to now take him seriously? I'm not stupid - there's drug use in every sport. But I don't think he holds much credibility.

Landis ia a squirrelly character and certainly doesn't have the purest of motives, but that can also describe Jose Canseco, who has been clownish in his publicity grubbing but vindicated in his allegations of PED use by major leaguers.  The upright citizens he accused of being juiced turned out to be just that.  Just like underworld informants, the best way to get the story on cheaters is to ask a cheater.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 01:49:34 PM »
Boy, is that a surprise...(what's the sarcasm emoticon?)

http://www.universalsports.com/news/article/newsid=512774.html

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 02:20:53 PM »
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 09:02:28 AM »
The Tour de France has kicked off this morning, and so far, the new points rules for the sprinters looks like it isn't going to be the big deal it was supposed to be - guess we'll see later in the race.

Started off in a neat area on the coast - the Passage du Gois is underwater during high tides. This year there's supposed to be some big-time mountain stages and finish lines. Lance will be there the last 2 days of the Tour. Big whoop.

I think the Schleck brothers will do it this year - Contador needs support on the mountain stages to keep the brothers in line, and I wonder if they can be beat as a team. Might see both the brothers on the podium at the end. And if Contador loses the doping appeal in August, he'd lose last year's TdF and this year's Giro de Italia.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 01:11:58 PM »
An American team with a Marvel comic leader is in yellow today. Thor Hushovd is a great sprinter, and tomorrow's course will help him out even more. Contador is further down the list with a less-than stellar team time trial result, but he'll come on strong in the mountains (where the tour is usually won and lost). Meanwhile, the Schleck brothers are near the frontrunners, and have a minute and change over Contador. Man I love the Tour...

Offline MadBob

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 06:51:40 AM »
Ayup, and the wrecks on the tour kinda resemble NASCAR wrecks on a restrictor plate race! How do you bang a shoulder with a spectator during a race as big as the Tour? Musta not been "Watching"... (your quote) snicker
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline Sadlebred

• Sadlebred's Website
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 03:10:27 PM »
Ayup, and the wrecks on the tour kinda resemble NASCAR wrecks on a restrictor plate race! How do you bang a shoulder with a spectator during a race as big as the Tour? Musta not been "Watching"... (your quote) snicker

Poor Jani from Radioshack today. Out with a broken collarbone. There were a ton of crashes on the narrow roads of today's stage. I can take or leave Cav. I want to see Farrar win another stage. I'll go for Horner and Levi for at least one podium spot between them. I'm not a Contador fan.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:00:34 AM by Sadlebred »

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 06:10:14 PM »
They kicked a motorbike driver out of the Tour - he drug a cyclist along the road for a distance.

Cavendish looks like he's in the twilight years - he was sucking wind after today. I still think one or both the Schlecks will be on the podium. This year's mountain stages look like they're going to be monster. Levi will hopefully be able to help Horner in them, but they better do it this year, since both of them are getting up in years (and Horner has a history of crashes).

Contador is off his form after the crash - looks like he isn't as 'juiced' about this Tour...  ;D