Author Topic: Frozen dim sum  (Read 3268 times)

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
Frozen dim sum
« on: May 14, 2010, 08:30:51 AM »
I still like to stick some frozen stuff from BuHyFM into the freezer for a treat now and then. The Wei-Chuan brandname is fairly reliable in terms of dumplings - I do like their shandong dumplings, and the mustard greens and green onion and beef dumplings are pretty good as well. It doesn't compare with a place like Chef Liu's, but then again, they don't deliver to the house while I'm watching Jeopardy! Biggest problem is keeping enough dumpling sauce around - I go thru it like...er, something involving a goose.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
Re: Frozen dim sum
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 11:38:31 AM »
We like those frozen dumplings also, they have a veggie one that my wife likes very much. Don't remember the brand right now.

Offline totm

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 08:52:13 AM »
I still like to stick some frozen stuff from BuHyFM into the freezer for a treat now and then. <snip> Biggest problem is keeping enough dumpling sauce around - I go thru it like...er, something involving a goose.
I made some dumpling sauce the last time we steamed some frozen dumplings.  Soy sauce, rice wine vineagar, fresh ginger, jalepeno, garlic.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline jimmy

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 09:04:14 AM »
If making a dumpling sauce, I really recommend buying some black (Chinkiang) Chinese vinegar. Love that stuff.

I've also made some "aromatic" soy sauce per Fuschia Dunlop, where you boil some soy sauce with brown sugar, a piece of ginger, and one star anise until the flavors are infused. It saves for weeks in the fridge and adds amazing flavor to dipping sauces.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:12:13 AM »
I still like to stick some frozen stuff from BuHyFM into the freezer for a treat now and then. <snip> Biggest problem is keeping enough dumpling sauce around - I go thru it like...er, something involving a goose.
I made some dumpling sauce the last time we steamed some frozen dumplings.  Soy sauce, rice wine vineagar, fresh ginger, jalepeno, garlic.
Sounds better than the last bottle I tried...

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 03:28:49 PM »
Problem is almost all that stuff comes from china, if you trust their ingredients then enjoy, but in Japan they have a very bed reputation. We only buy when made outside china.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 06:17:21 PM »
Problem is almost all that stuff comes from china, if you trust their ingredients then enjoy, but in Japan they have a very bed reputation. We only buy when made outside china.

Very good head's up, thanks. 

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 08:17:03 PM »

Isn't this a problem with pretty much ALL asian pantry items? Sauces, spices, dried stuff, everything is from china

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 08:42:43 AM »
A good deal of the dim sum I've seen at BuHyFM is from the good 'ol USA.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 09:38:47 AM »
Isn't this a problem with pretty much ALL asian pantry items? Sauces, spices, dried stuff, everything is from china

Kikkoman, arguably the most common Asian ingredient in American households (soy sauce) is manufactured here in the US.  The sesame oil I purchase comes direct from Japan... so much so that I only know it's sesame oil because of the label that the importer puts on the bottle.  The Korean red pepper paste I buy is from Korea.