Author Topic: Cinco De Mayo  (Read 7720 times)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: Cinco De Mayo
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 08:24:30 AM »
We had baked ziti...is that Mexican:)?  

It depends on the music and the hats I think?             :D

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 08:35:02 AM »
Table seating was fine - it was just the bar that was packed. Looks like a lotta action was going on - the ladies were on the prowl.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 09:03:33 AM »
Yes they were fried in a light batter in peanut oil. Talapia is not my favorite fish but with all the other toppings to mask the flavor it worked okay. Grilled might have been better.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 09:30:37 AM »
Yes they were fried in a light batter in peanut oil. Talapia is not my favorite fish but with all the other toppings to mask the flavor it worked okay. Grilled might have been better.

Speaking of my favorite place to have fish tacos.  When the residents are feeding a family it almost doesn't matter what kind of fish gets used, whatever bites the bait on the hand-line get's on the menu in a hurry.  But when they want to make it a bit special, they fish for a shallow water shark,  they smoke them on a sortof wicker stand above a brush wood fire for a while, then they peel off the skin and break the firm-but-cooked shark into taco size hunks..   A real taco filling prize is "Pargo" or grouper, we have had them in the teeny taco stalls around Los Barriles time after time.  Pargo is Dog Snapper or Pacific Cubera Snapper.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 11:33:12 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 09:38:06 AM »
Sounds fantastic.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 09:53:27 AM »
Now i want fish tacos.

Offline Davo7

• Email
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 12:55:09 PM »
Has anyone ever made carne adovoda(sp?) Saw it on Diner's, Drive-ins and Dives, and it looked pretty good.

I got all the stuff for it ready to go, but then company bailed on us, and didn't want to make 7 lbs of pork tacos for 3 folks.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 01:42:43 PM »
Has anyone ever made carne adovoda(sp?) Saw it on Diner's, Drive-ins and Dives, and it looked pretty good.

I got all the stuff for it ready to go, but then company bailed on us, and didn't want to make 7 lbs of pork tacos for 3 folks.

The recipes I looked at seemed like it would be a wonderful dish..  I have not made it though.   Sortof like my Chile Verde with some exceptions..?

Post the recipe you are using, I'll give it a try in the next few weeks?
I have some pork chunked up and in the freezer, it needs to come out and make us happy....

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 04:57:48 PM »
Now i want fish tacos.   

I know I sort of went off subject with all the Baja stuff, but I miss it.   We will be back down there soon, and able to taste the REAL stuff...   I hope to fish 2 days, and relax maybe 5 days... ?

Look, if any of you folks want to visit a fairly un-spoiled part of the "safe" Mexico, get in touch with me and I'll give you ALL of the details?    The prices right now are very good...

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 05:18:49 PM »

Good dinner....    The skirt steak was just right, the beans Y corn were plenty good and the salsa was "da bomb"...

Click on this for more Cinco De Mayo pictures

Offline Barnum

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »
That looks good Mike!  Tried to make a case for going out the celebrate seis de mayo... didn't work... looks more hopeful that we'll celebrate siete de mayo....  past that my high school Spanish starts to falter...

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 09:40:23 AM »
Now i want fish tacos.   

I know I sort of went off subject with all the Baja stuff, but I miss it.   We will be back down there soon, and able to taste the REAL stuff...   I hope to fish 2 days, and relax maybe 5 days... ?

Look, if any of you folks want to visit a fairly un-spoiled part of the "safe" Mexico, get in touch with me and I'll give you ALL of the details?    The prices right now are very good...

Now you've got me all nostalgic.  I used to kayak all over the Sea of Cortez side of Baja when I lived in San Diego. Bahia de Los Angeles (or "LA Bay"), Mulege to Loreto, Loreto to La Paz.  Buying fish from locals or spearing it myself, cooking it up on the beach, and sleeping under the stars.  It's another world down there. <sigh>

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 09:43:03 AM »
I missed out on a trip to the shore this weekend - my turn to do the server updates this weekend. Softshell crabs and shrimp are bigtime good right now. Waaaaaah....

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2010, 11:05:21 AM »
Now i want fish tacos.   

Now you've got me all nostalgic.  I used to kayak all over the Sea of Cortez side of Baja when I lived in San Diego. Bahia de Los Angeles (or "LA Bay"), Mulege to Loreto, Loreto to La Paz.  Buying fish from locals or spearing it myself, cooking it up on the beach, and sleeping under the stars.  It's another world down there. <sigh>

More on this later..  It is a wonderful place.. 

Offline Davo7

• Email
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 09:50:56 AM »