Author Topic: Coming Soon.....  (Read 225279 times)

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
Re: Coming Soon.....
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2010, 07:08:00 AM »
There's a taqueria opening in the next week or so at the North end of the State Farmers' Market (next to the sod shed)

It looks very cute and they certainly won't have to go far to get ingredients!

Off-topic but not sure it deserves its own thread: How is the State Farmer's Market lately? I haven't been on about 10 years but the one time I did go it was really very limited. Have things changed? I'd love it if it is now a "real" farmer's market.

I have farmers I've gotten to know that sell there -- This time of year, there are plenty of things in the GA-grown stalls.  Lots of peppers, squash, zuccini, cukes and canteloupes right now.  SC peaches only right now.   The other stalls are more mexi/asian oriented but still fun to browse around and always great avocados, fresh garbanzos, herbs. etc.

The garden area is much, much improved in the last two years.

All in all, I think it's a fun place to go.  There's also the Market Grocery, the big restaurant,  and Hamper House.

From where we live, takes about 15 minutes.  Well, 20 the way I drive.

Offline kcschick812

« Reply #151 on: June 15, 2010, 08:09:22 PM »
Just tried Bai Wei in Roswell for dinner tonight ... excellent!  Only had the sushi so can't comment on the authenticity of the Chinese side of the menu.  Really reasonable prices, great service and they're offering 30% off bill before the end of June as an opening special.  Should put the nail in the coffin for FB if they keep it up.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2010, 12:36:44 PM »
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2010, 12:43:35 PM »
Is this the same Bai Wei that they have in Wichita, Kansas kcschick812?  Not sure if you were familiar enough with the restaurant to know if they had anything to do with one another.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2010, 12:49:35 PM »
Is this the same Bai Wei that they have in Wichita, Kansas kcschick812?  Not sure if you were familiar enough with the restaurant to know if they had anything to do with one another.

I'll check w/Mom.

BTW, the Wichita restaurant is a decent buffet, as far as buffet stuff goes. Mom and my sister go nuts over the snow crab legs, but I thought the squid was pretty good.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 01:06:04 PM by KoPP »

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2010, 01:48:47 PM »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2010, 02:04:55 PM »
I have not been. I think at the Taste of Alpharetta they said they were going to open July 9 or 11 or something like that.

But 52 Bistro, in the old Slice location, has at least a menu posted http://52bistro.com/

Must say, as a grubber I'm not much into ambiance, but I do like the large number of restaurants--most good--located on old houses.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 02:06:32 PM by uOTPia Dweller »
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline Minerva

« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2010, 05:41:42 AM »
Just tried Bai Wei in Roswell for dinner tonight ... excellent! 

Since they have no online menu (that I found), exactly what is the theme? Fishbowl-like with sushi?

An office colleague brought me a photocopy of a menu section of their flyer. It's the "specialties" list, and it includes stuff like baking (sic) salmon w/miso sauce, seafood Szechuan, Peking duck, French style baking duck breast (sic), crabmeat braised soft tofu, and beef asparagus roll.

Here are some I have no idea what they are: crispy skin fried flanders, mango flanders (actually four flanders disjes??) and Boston cheese baking lobster.

They also list ma po tofu as a specialty, and since it's one of my all time faves, guess I'll have to get by to try their version.

Also to find out what a flanders is.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2010, 06:46:58 AM »
Just tried Bai Wei in Roswell for dinner tonight ... excellent! 

Since they have no online menu (that I found), exactly what is the theme? Fishbowl-like with sushi?

An office colleague brought me a photocopy of a menu section of their flyer. It's the "specialties" list, and it includes stuff like baking (sic) salmon w/miso sauce, seafood Szechuan, Peking duck, French style baking duck breast (sic), crabmeat braised soft tofu, and beef asparagus roll.

Here are some I have no idea what they are: crispy skin fried flanders, mango flanders (actually four flanders disjes??) and Boston cheese baking lobster.

They also list ma po tofu as a specialty, and since it's one of my all time faves, guess I'll have to get by to try their version.

Also to find out what a flanders is.

"Flanders was a zombie?"  Sorry - one of my fav Simpsons quotes...

Offline totm

« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2010, 07:01:13 AM »
Flanders is the northern region of Belgium.  Damn good beer up there.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Minerva

« Reply #160 on: June 17, 2010, 07:26:41 AM »
Yum. Crispy fried beer....
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2010, 07:28:57 AM »
I think they mean flounder.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2010, 07:40:10 AM »
So if there are this many misspellings, could it mean that the restaurant is owned by some "ethnic" group and thus has a badge of "authenticity"? ;)

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2010, 08:46:15 AM »
So if there are this many misspellings, could it mean that the restaurant is owned by some "ethnic" group and thus has a badge of "authenticity"? ;)

I think this is a question best answered by Loundry.   ;D
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline eatnrun

« Reply #164 on: June 17, 2010, 07:02:33 PM »
Just tried Bai Wei in Roswell for dinner tonight ... excellent!  Only had the sushi so can't comment on the authenticity of the Chinese side of the menu.  Really reasonable prices, great service and they're offering 30% off bill before the end of June as an opening special.  Should put the nail in the coffin for FB if they keep it up.

Just tried it today for lunch.  They are offering 30% off during the month of June so it was a good deal.  The food was excellent although the service was a little awkward (the server seemed inexperienced and a little unsure of himself).  Its not a deal breaker for me since I figure they are still working out the bugs.  Also the ambiance needs a little tweaking.  They need some audible background music to take the edge off the stilted silence.  I will go back for the food, though. They truly do have healthy choices with lots of chicken, tofu, veggies, brown rice and sushi which is all fresh and nicely prepared.