Author Topic: Coming Soon.....  (Read 225716 times)

Offline uOTPia Dweller

Re: Coming Soon.....
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2010, 01:06:06 PM »
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2010, 01:09:01 PM »
CB is blogging on the Creative Loafing site that the gang at Top Floor have taken a lease on the space above Over da Edge on Boulevard and Edgewood.

Anyone able to fill in any more details on their plans?  Relo?  2nd location?

I've answered this elsewhere but:

2nd location/music/late night/asian food/scheduled to open late March

It will be called Third Flr.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:12:09 PM by Beerbitch »

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2010, 01:50:58 PM »
Banner in front of the old Just Loafin' on Boulevard now says "Coming Soon: Buccs B. B. Que".

Personally, I think that is a weird concept for that spot. There is a bunch of good bbq in the general area already. And a similar try for take-out bbq failed about three blocks south on Blvd (who knows why). But whatever; I wish them luck!

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2010, 09:25:26 AM »
Banner in front of the old Just Loafin' on Boulevard now says "Coming Soon: Buccs B. B. Que".

Personally, I think that is a weird concept for that spot. There is a bunch of good bbq in the general area already. And a similar try for take-out bbq failed about three blocks south on Blvd (who knows why). But whatever; I wish them luck!

The BBQ spot south of I-20 was the Oklahoma BBQ spot that moved to East Point (if memory serves me right)

I don't see how they can make a go of BBQ in that spot unless they carve out a portion of the parking lot to put a smoker. If they don't smoke on prem, I doubt I'll be going there...

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2010, 06:05:05 PM »
I was thinking that the addition that they built on the front deck was going to be some kind of smoker...

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2010, 06:39:10 PM »
I was thinking that the addition that they built on the front deck was going to be some kind of smoker...

I was wondering about that, although I was thinking it was more for show than anything else since it was up front...

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2010, 06:46:11 PM »
Yeah, and when they were building it it looked like quite a bit of it was wooden, so not sure how that would work.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2010, 06:56:06 PM »
Their "walk-in" was actually outside in the back of the world's slowest and awkward drive-thru.  Maybe they can use some of that space.  The property line goes quite far back....

I wish them luck.  I'd like an alternative to Wyatt's for smoke to order stuff in our 'hood. (although I love the folks at Wyatt's)

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2010, 04:58:18 PM »
The old Katie's at 1580 Holcomb Bridge Road--Sue She or Su Shi, some cutesy name. Drove by on 92 so didn't get a good look. Some Asian lettering, one would guess a punny name for a sushi place. However, I thought I saw "catering" still on the door. Mebbe a work in progress.

Northside, are you on top of this breaking story?

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2010, 05:05:54 PM »
As far as I can tell, it's now an Asian catering place specializing in japanese. I don't *think* they are open for lunch or dinner. Or if they are, it's not a weekend. It's been a few months since i was in that shopping center to look.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2010, 08:50:44 PM »

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2010, 01:32:04 PM »
The last i talked to any of them was December. Susan (the older, manager type lady) said they had a lead on a place in the Publix shopping center. But I haven't heard anything since.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline Elijah Snow

« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2010, 10:34:16 AM »
The former Pizza Hut near Northpoint Mall is apparently re-opening as Woody's Barbecue. It appears to be a Florida-based barbecue chain (www.woodys.com). The menu is somewhat promising, and the area is actually really short on decent barbecue. I'll try to make an inaugural visit as soon as it opens.

Still, this is one of the worst locations for a restaurant in this area. There is literally no way to even see the place from Haynes Bridge, and if you blink on the way to the mall, you'll miss it.  ???

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2010, 10:41:20 AM »
The menu is somewhat promising, and the area is actually really short on decent barbecue.

Not a fan of 'Cue or SATH? Heck I've been to Smokejack only once, so it shows I'm no fanatic, but it easily exceeds "decent". In fact, I like that Yapper Stacey G and I saw he said he thought it's improved over the years, so I've had it on my long short list to return--just have not yet.

And well, I know that Alabama barbecue place brings out the emotions as much as any. Even off the boards I know peeps who love it and peeps who despise. I say "decent".

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2010, 10:57:14 AM »
The former Pizza Hut near Northpoint Mall is apparently re-opening as Woody's Barbecue. It appears to be a Florida-based barbecue chain (www.woodys.com). The menu is somewhat promising, and the area is actually really short on decent barbecue. I'll try to make an inaugural visit as soon as it opens.

Still, this is one of the worst locations for a restaurant in this area. There is literally no way to even see the place from Haynes Bridge, and if you blink on the way to the mall, you'll miss it.  ???

I've gone to a Woody's up near Charleston - they have some marginal NC BBQ.