Author Topic: Coming Soon.....  (Read 225738 times)

Offline uOTPia Dweller

Re: Coming Soon.....
« Reply #885 on: April 03, 2015, 07:56:42 AM »
Interesting scoop by RootsInAlpharetta. Varasano’s Pizzeria opening a location in Northpoint Mall. Three years ago this would have been great news--a true bombshell. Now it makes him fifth or sixth best Neapolitan in AlphaRozMilty.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline shoeshine boy

« Reply #887 on: April 28, 2015, 07:02:18 AM »
the former site of my local is now going to be a combo comic book store/craft beer store? bar? both? damned if I can figure it out.
http://www.decaturmetro.com/2015/04/27/my-parents-basement-opening-comic-bookcraft-beer-store-in-james-joyce-space/

Offline shoeshine boy

« Reply #888 on: May 06, 2015, 06:58:55 AM »

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #889 on: July 21, 2015, 04:25:27 PM »
It appears one long-delayed opening and another re-opening has finally happened. Ricky’s Fish Camp in Roswell, it is reported on Historic Roswell Georgia Facebook page, hath finally opened.

Some will know the location as the former home to North of New Orleans, AKA NoNo. Old timers will recall it as the long-time home to Roswell Kitchen.

Las Costas Nayaritas Mexican Seafood Bar and Grill had opened two years ago briefly in the old Tony’s All-American sports bar. However some liquor license issues subverted that.

I had just assumed they were closed for good. However gringo friend and his wife wandered in there on their way to Verizon Amphitheatre and were quite pleased. He admitted the authentic menu may have intimidated them, but managed to enjoy despite being the Speedy Gonzalez target audience.

Looks like I have my lunches cut out for me. If anyone has been to either, start a thread and tell me about it.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #890 on: July 28, 2015, 05:54:55 PM »

Robert Owens

Four years ago today, we opened the doors of Grand Champion BBQ. It’s been a whirlwind of smoky pork, gouda goodness, amazing relationships and the opening of two more locations in Milton and in the Krog Street Market. In that time we’ve been honored to receive awards for the best brisket, mac & cheese & ribs in Atlanta from the AJC critics.

We’ve participated each year in the Taste of Marietta and have taken home Finger Lickin’ Good and the Blazing BBQ awards each year. Won best taste of Beer, Burbon, & BBQ.
We were mentioned in the NewYorkTimes, & Southern Living. Atlanta Magazine recognized us as runner up for the best BBQ in Georgia and most recently we were named as one of the 13 best BBQ joints IN THE NATION by Zagat.

We are still blown away by all of the recognition we’ve received over these past four years. We want to say a heartfelt thank you to all of our guests, neighbors and surrounding community who have helped us realize our dreams and serve some of the best Q around.

And what better way to say thank you to you all then to open up our first full service restaurant (bourbon included)!! Grand Champion BBQ is excited to announce we are opening our fourth location! This will be a full service restaurant located in the heart of historic Roswell right on Canton Street. The menu will be expanded and a full bar will be offered with Southern style cocktails and a patio.

We’ll keep y’all posted on the details and are ready to continue offering everyone superior Q in a fabulous new setting!!
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #891 on: July 29, 2015, 07:50:47 AM »
Oh hell yeah.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #892 on: July 29, 2015, 09:31:35 AM »
Looks like ScoopOTP even scooped the owner. Published on July 17:

...gastronomes have understandable apprehension they may be making an apocalyptic decision of expanding too rapidly. A fourth location is scheduled to open in downtown Roswell, their first full-service sit down restaurant.

Accelerated multiple location sprawl has been the death knell for so many prodigious casual restaurants. Here is hoping GCBBQ is immune and remains among the most prestigious barbecue in the environs.

http://scoopotp.com/the-best-bbq-in-the-burbs/?utm_source=ScoopOTP&utm_campaign=e07a17c26d-mid_July_20157_14_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a7d40aa904-e07a17c26d-93696473

They must have some good sources.

Offline Girly

« Reply #893 on: July 29, 2015, 02:07:17 PM »
It appears one long-delayed opening and another re-opening has finally happened. Ricky’s Fish Camp in Roswell, it is reported on Historic Roswell Georgia Facebook page, hath finally opened.

Some will know the location as the former home to North of New Orleans, AKA NoNo. Old timers will recall it as the long-time home to Roswell Kitchen.

Friends went Friday night and loved it. I'm going this Friday night and will report back!

Edit: last report was that they were only open Fri, Sat and Sun

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #894 on: July 29, 2015, 03:24:24 PM »

Friends went Friday night and loved it. I'm going this Friday night and will report back!

Edit: last report was that they were only open Fri, Sat and Sun

Okay so help me with the family tree. I understand it is owned by the former owners of Nine Street Kitchen. I never went because I heard meh reports. They may have been accurate as they closed in a great location, where the surrounding restaurants are packing them in. But is this the same family that owned the previous Nine (RIP), Magnolia Cafe (RIP), and now owns Ceviche?

I will still try the fish camp, but I have been to the last three I mentioned and all were fine, but none all that great.

Offline Girly

« Reply #895 on: July 29, 2015, 04:16:28 PM »
Any info I have is all 5th or 6th hand, but yes, 'Ricky' is supposedly in the family there. Rumor is that he's the son, but I don't know of whom (or even how old he is - could be 60, could be 18).

I have also heard that despite the name, Nine never had a kitchen! They would either precook and have it waiting or run down to one of their other places. Maybe that was just the excuse why the food wasn't good. I had a few friends who liked it and I'd go with them an order a salad. I tried sandwiches, soup and pasta and everything was tasteless. Their cheese plate was even bad. They had great outdoor seating though so I'd slug along for that,

I didn't go to Magnolia and haven't been to Ceviche so I can't compare. :(

My 'go to' for fried seafood has been AJs for a while. And yes, I do love me some fried seafood so that's probably what I'll order. As long as it's lightly breaded and fresh, I'm sold! :-D

I also heard from somewhere that whole catfish can no longer be served (GA? FulCo?) - they have to be filleted?

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #896 on: July 29, 2015, 05:41:09 PM »
There is definitely a funky family tree going. Even the original Nine, down the street, which I think had another name but same owners before that had mom and dad running the lunch. Then daughter and husband did dinner, with a different staff, menu, and whatnot. Oh well, fish camps are supposed to be about no-frills, good fish for a cheap price. Since most of their restaurants were "good" I will see if they were worth the longest wait in world history, topping even the original Moshka.

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #897 on: August 02, 2015, 07:28:53 AM »

Just to add to the connections mystery, last weekend when we drove by there was a van from Adele's parked off to the side unloading some boxes.  Didn't get a good look but it was strange.

There is definitely a funky family tree going. Even the original Nine, down the street, which I think had another name but same owners before that had mom and dad running the lunch. Then daughter and husband did dinner, with a different staff, menu, and whatnot. Oh well, fish camps are supposed to be about no-frills, good fish for a cheap price. Since most of their restaurants were "good" I will see if they were worth the longest wait in world history, topping even the original Moshka.
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline Girly

« Reply #898 on: August 03, 2015, 02:17:14 PM »
It was good. Nothing fancy, truly typical 'fish camp'. Don't expect a lot of spices, sauces, whatnot. The sides were good but sparse. Everything was VERY fresh so you definitely have that! Lightly breaded corn meal for the fried items. I will go again :) From what I could tell, beer and wine only.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #899 on: August 05, 2015, 05:26:02 PM »
New Urban Roswell reports that yet two more pizza places are coming to downtown Roswell. Pizzeria Lucca, will be opening near Bulloch Hall, while Carlisle Pizza in the old Slate location. Gossip on his FB page is that the latter may be owned by the Craft Kitchen & Brew, previously known as Belly’s. That isn’t bad news, but also not much to get overly excited about.

My informants tell me in the old DaVinci’s Pizza on Old Alabama Road, the same owners will open On the Rox. It will be a modified DaVinci’s menu but more tavern-oriented, with two pool tables, etc. The most important detail as that the incompetent staff that led to DV’s abject failure have been fired.

The food was good-for-the-hood quality but far from destination worthy. As it is my ‘hood, hopefully the solid food can be served by a semi-competent staff.