Author Topic: Coming Soon.....  (Read 226554 times)

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
Re: Coming Soon.....
« Reply #630 on: June 24, 2011, 03:39:47 PM »
My guess is that the "simple American food that tastes great" bit was meant to be a somewhat tongue-in-cheek on the part of Blais and Amick. It will not surprise me at all if they come up with a menu consisting of blue plate items like meatloaf and chicken pot pie, but when the "meatloaf" actually hits the table, it will be tartare glazed with vaporized ketchup and gravy cubes, while the "chicken pot pie" will be a de-boned chicken wrapped and roasted around the outside of a clay pot filled with confetti vegetables and "puff" pastry that the diner is asked to blow into to inflate.

Or something like that.  8)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 03:43:37 PM by Hrothgar »

Offline totm

« Reply #631 on: June 24, 2011, 04:04:32 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised at some Blais-ian interpretations of classic dishes.  But keep in mind, what won him Top Chef All-Stars was him getting back to basics and just cooking good food.  Yes, there was usually something on the plate that screamed rB but it wasn't the focus of the dish.  When he was at OMK there was a lot of basic good food.  Element and Blais were mostly, for lack of a better term, molecular gastronomy.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline rebelliousrose

« Reply #632 on: June 27, 2011, 05:15:58 PM »
Call 'em like I see 'em. Although perhaps Bob Amick's business sense and big ego will rein in Richard Blais' even bigger ego. Richard hasn't actually run a kitchen since he left One. He used to be a really good chef when he was at Fishbone, but since then? Also, that's a really rough location; no foot traffic and no parking, but Amick made a success out of One with the same challenges.

Other than commenting on the chef's ego, warranted or unwarranted, I don't really see why people are complaining so much about RR expressing her opinion. I hardly think that her post here or on the AJC site will cause said "epic failure". I could be wrong but I don't think so. She's not saying that he is a liar or a cheat or the like, just that she doubts his ability to make this venture successful. So this hardly fits the definition of libel, which has to be a deliberately false and malicious statement in writing. I understand that some of the folks who are upset are chefs who sympathize about how hard it is to run a restaurant, but people are still entitled to their opinions. Just MHO.

Thank you, Liz, very gracious, very true, and much nicer than what I was going to say. My opinions of Richard Blais are influenced by professional experiences with him, and tend to be strongly negative for that reason. I'd like to be important enough that I could cause a restaurant's success or failure by simply expressing an opionion- if I could, a lot of the city's really good restaurants would have survived and flourished!  ;) I'd also like to point out that I said Bob Amick has made a success out of equally difficult locations.

Offline biskuit

« Reply #633 on: June 27, 2011, 06:25:01 PM »
This should be good - from the Spice Route Supper Club to Cardamom Hill: http://www.atlantamagazine.com/covereddish/diningnews/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10255176

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #634 on: June 27, 2011, 08:39:01 PM »
This should be good - from the Spice Route Supper Club to Cardamom Hill: http://www.atlantamagazine.com/covereddish/diningnews/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10255176

That does sound good. And, finally, a great restaurant name, which seem to be few and far between lately.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #635 on: June 28, 2011, 08:04:16 AM »
This is the plan for the old El Toro/Redfish/Crazy Horse building:

http://straightfromthea.com/2011/06/27/atlanta-housewives-attend-private-preview-of-peter-thomas-bar-one-photos-video/

Neighborhood not too happy.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #636 on: June 28, 2011, 09:57:42 AM »
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #637 on: June 28, 2011, 04:15:01 PM »

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #638 on: June 28, 2011, 06:07:11 PM »

If I never see another "certified Angus burger" again in my life, I will die happy. 

I'm always relieved to know that the hamburger came from a cow... ;D

Offline totm

« Reply #639 on: June 29, 2011, 10:43:35 AM »
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #640 on: June 29, 2011, 11:26:03 AM »

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #641 on: June 29, 2011, 12:40:51 PM »
Glorious Events is replacing Sodexho in the United Way Bistro area downtown. I know they cater in Chastain - anybody have any experience with them?

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #642 on: June 29, 2011, 02:59:18 PM »

http://straightfromthea.com/2011/06/27/atlanta-housewives-attend-private-preview-of-peter-thomas-bar-one-photos-video/

That is, ummm, interesting. And kind of funny. Don't see it working, but what do I know.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #643 on: June 29, 2011, 04:08:55 PM »

That is, ummm, interesting. And kind of funny. Don't see it working, but what do I know.

I think the big problem is going to be when it closes in the wee hours - I hope for the neighborhood's sake that the cops can keep noise problems down.

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #644 on: July 07, 2011, 10:15:36 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted, but No. 246 from Chef's Fry (JCT Kitchen) and Belline (formerly of Floataway) is opening in Decatur next week.

http://www.no246.com/
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas