Author Topic: Coming Soon.....  (Read 225450 times)

Offline shoeshine boy

Re: Coming Soon.....
« Reply #615 on: June 13, 2011, 07:19:13 AM »
I haven't seen this talked about so......my Decatur spies tell me that the old El Tesoro location on Church Street just down from Twain's will become a "Six Feet Under-style seafood place". must be in the very early stages since their doesn't seem to be any work going on there.

Offline waynehoobler

« Reply #616 on: June 13, 2011, 10:51:15 AM »
Has this been posted?  On the way out of town for a quick trip Saturday, I noticed that what was the Athens Express on Clairmont near the VA now has a sign that says Cafe 155 (which is the state route number for Clairmont I believe) or similar.

I've kept up with their facebook page since first reading about them on tonetoatl.  Looks like they opened today, the menu is on the fb, the prices are reasonable.  I'm curious to try it.

I liked looking at the pictures of how they gutted and cleaned up the building.  Personally, I wish that they had restored it to its 1969 Arby's glory (natural stone walls, golden roof), but they painted it some wacky retro colors instead.  Nonetheless, it should be interesting to see how they do.

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #617 on: June 16, 2011, 10:16:22 AM »

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #618 on: June 16, 2011, 09:07:17 PM »
Saw a sign for a "pie shop" on Roswell Road in Buckhead across from the fire station just north of Paces Ferry.  Said opening June 15, but I couldn't see it from the street as I drove by.  I guess they are taking on Piece of Cake...

Offline Minerva

Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline rebelliousrose

Offline chefmoss

• Email
« Reply #621 on: June 23, 2011, 11:28:53 AM »

Offline Barnum

« Reply #622 on: June 23, 2011, 12:23:47 PM »

Blais is back....

http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2011/06/22/richard-blais-to-open-midtown-restaurant/?cxntlid=thbz_hm

Epic restaurant fail coming in 3...2...1...
Wow- that is harsh.  Blais can cook- I hope he does well.

I agree!  Any disclosure along with a caustic statement like that?

Offline rebelliousrose

« Reply #623 on: June 23, 2011, 01:24:24 PM »
Call 'em like I see 'em. Although perhaps Bob Amick's business sense and big ego will rein in Richard Blais' even bigger ego. Richard hasn't actually run a kitchen since he left One. He used to be a really good chef when he was at Fishbone, but since then? Also, that's a really rough location; no foot traffic and no parking, but Amick made a success out of One with the same challenges.

Offline NicolasBour

• Email
« Reply #624 on: June 23, 2011, 04:17:56 PM »
Call 'em like I see 'em. Although perhaps Bob Amick's business sense and big ego will rein in Richard Blais' even bigger ego. Richard hasn't actually run a kitchen since he left One. He used to be a really good chef when he was at Fishbone, but since then? Also, that's a really rough location; no foot traffic and no parking, but Amick made a success out of One with the same challenges.

Unless you care to elaborate/explain your vague negative comments about someone perhaps you should keep them to yourself?  Repeating the same crap here and in other forums just makes you look bitter.

Good luck with that.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #625 on: June 23, 2011, 05:01:28 PM »
Hey Nicolas, how is RB treating you? (and no, that's not RB as in Richard Blais)

Offline NicolasBour

• Email
« Reply #626 on: June 23, 2011, 07:29:12 PM »
Hey Nicolas, how is RB treating you? (and no, that's not RB as in Richard Blais)

Things are great out here, garden is in full operation and we are on schedule to do the Resto. rennovation in 2 months.  Plus the weatehr is just amazing! :)

Offline Sadlebred

• Sadlebred's Website
« Reply #627 on: June 23, 2011, 09:06:39 PM »
In the Silver Comet Shops (next to the Publix shopping center) at the East-West Connector and South Cobb Dr. in Smyrna, there is a sign for Yotopia frozen yogurt "coming soon." It doesn't look like much work has been done in the space, which is a former Smoothie King. This may be the website: http://myyotopia.com/. That will make 3 places to get food in the same strip center--there is already a Twisted Taco (which is usually busy) and a Firehouse Subs.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #628 on: June 23, 2011, 09:28:24 PM »
Hey Nicolas - hope things go well for opening! Take lotsa pics!

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #629 on: June 23, 2011, 10:09:18 PM »

Other than commenting on the chef's ego, warranted or unwarranted, I don't really see why people are complaining so much about RR expressing her opinion. I hardly think that her post here or on the AJC site will cause said "epic failure". I could be wrong but I don't think so. She's not saying that he is a liar or a cheat or the like, just that she doubts his ability to make this venture successful. So this hardly fits the definition of libel, which has to be a deliberately false and malicious statement in writing. I understand that some of the folks who are upset are chefs who sympathize about how hard it is to run a restaurant, but people are still entitled to their opinions. Just MHO.

I've liked some of Richard's ventures, but he does tend to skip around a bit, and I have a really sort of comical thought when I imagine him doing "simple American", when a great deal of his fame in Atlanta came from the exact opposite. Not sure why he would want to go in that direction given his history and the fact that the folks who will want to go to see-and-be-seen probably would enjoy some frozen nitro at this point. My guess is that Concentrics is trying to get the most bang for the buck, combining a famous name with a popular food style that he doesn't really have a history of doing. I'd hazard a guess that it will be all locally-sourced, farm-to-table, snout-to-tail (but not too much snout or tail if it is simple American) comfort food, and the menu will proudly anounce said facts. The problem is that this type of resto, while it can be great, is already yesterday's news and over-saturated, even in Atlanta.It has been a while with this type of stuff. I wish him luck but I also wish that someone would think outside the box, especially given his creativity.But I digress on what I would like to be coming soon, instead of what is.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:59:02 PM by LizR »