Author Topic: Coming Soon.....  (Read 225744 times)

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
Re: Coming Soon.....
« Reply #450 on: January 02, 2011, 09:16:50 AM »
Looks like a new taqueria is going in at the end of the strip mall located at Mansell and Old Alabama Connector. 
You know, the doomed place that previously housed The French Quarter Too, Yellow Fin and at least one other failed restaurant before that? 
May the gods of commerce have mercy on their souls.

That's going to be The Taco Stand (Athens), with a little change of style.  So they already have pretty good name recognition and a loyal following of UGA students.  They will have seating and large screen TV's as well as a Bar. 

The lady that owns it has 30+ years experience in the Atlanta FoodService Community and has another successful FoodService Operation in Alpharetta.  Although a lot of experience doesn't guarantee success, it sure gives a restaurant a good leg up.

Kewl, sort of like Twisted Taco, but hopefully good?

The older I get the more importance the propinquity of places I drink beer becomes. That would be closer than my other options, oft but not always TJ's by default.

I just read on a different site that this is the same franchise that ran The Taco Stand in Buckhead for a number of years - a location that lost several rounds of flat-screen TVs to smash-n-grab. If it's the same operation, don't expect it to be very good at all. I went a few times when Rio Bravo was on a wait and I wanted something to nosh late-night. Rio Bravo was a pretty big step up from The Taco Stand, and that's saying a lot. Even their beer specials weren't very good.
Food is my favorite.

Offline Carl Muth

« Reply #451 on: January 02, 2011, 11:25:40 AM »
I just read on a different site that this is the same franchise that ran The Taco Stand in Buckhead for a number of years - a location that lost several rounds of flat-screen TVs to smash-n-grab. If it's the same operation, don't expect it to be very good at all. I went a few times when Rio Bravo was on a wait and I wanted something to nosh late-night. Rio Bravo was a pretty big step up from The Taco Stand, and that's saying a lot. Even their beer specials weren't very good.

I can absolutely Guarantee that this is not the same person that owned The Taco Stand in Buckhead.  The lady that owns this is Lee Chadwick (a personnal friend of mine for more than 15 years).

@Foodgeek, if you will send me the link to the other site, I'll get them to straighten that rumor out.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #452 on: January 02, 2011, 12:24:30 PM »

I can absolutely Guarantee that this is not the same person that owned The Taco Stand in Buckhead.  The lady that owns this is Lee Chadwick (a personnal friend of mine for more than 15 years).

@Foodgeek, if you will send me the link to the other site, I'll get them to straighten that rumor out.

What is the other Alpharetta resto she owns? The intertubes give the Athens locations decent reviews. Consensus is the Athens locations are dumps (which isn't always a bad thing to grubbers: KKG, original Havana etc), but good, cheap food.

Still interested--because of the short drive after adult beverages for me--how late they are open (at least watch all MNF or Thursday games I hope) and if it is a sports bar (lots of TVs setup) as implied upthread.

Update: okay looks like she managed the Lark and the Dove (RIP) and does catering and events.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 12:28:46 PM by Not Infamous Chef uOTPia Dweller »
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline Girly

« Reply #453 on: January 02, 2011, 12:46:59 PM »

I can absolutely Guarantee that this is not the same person that owned The Taco Stand in Buckhead.  The lady that owns this is Lee Chadwick (a personnal friend of mine for more than 15 years).

What is the other Alpharetta resto she owns? The intertubes give the Athens locations decent reviews. Consensus is the Athens locations are dumps (which isn't always a bad thing to grubbers: KKG, original Havana etc), but good, cheap food.

Still interested--because of the short drive after adult beverages for me--how late they are open (at least watch all MNF or Thursday games I hope) and if it is a sports bar (lots of TVs setup) as implied upthread.

Update: okay looks like she managed the Lark and the Dove (RIP) and does catering and events.

There's a blast from the past - Lee catered my wedding reception at Lark and Dove! I don't know how good her tacos are but her catering was great in the early 80's ;) In fact, I've been to several wedding receptions at The Pavillion that was on Roswell and the one that's on J'Ferry (if'n it's still there - it's been a while) and while it was always standard fare, I never had a problem. She's been successful for so many years for a reason and I'll definitely make a run for the border here in Alpharetta for some tacos :)

Offline Carl Muth

« Reply #454 on: January 02, 2011, 01:14:18 PM »

I didn't say that she owned another "Restaurant" in Alpharetta, I said that she has another FoodService Operation" and that she has been in the "FoodService Business" in Atlanta fo over 30 years.

I didn't want to mention the Location earlier because she was busy with getting the place opened and running her Special Events Facility.  Here is a link to her website www.themetropolitanclub.net/

The Taco Stand should be open in the next couple of weeks.

Offline RootsInAlpharetta

• Roots in Alpharetta
    • Email
« Reply #455 on: January 02, 2011, 01:49:03 PM »
So the folks at the Metropolitan Club on Windward are behind this new taco stand? Interesting combination. I've never been to a fully-catered event at the Metropolitan Club, but the light hors D'Oeuvres I've had there were terrific.

Offline luckileebob

• Email
« Reply #456 on: January 02, 2011, 05:39:14 PM »
BB's on State Bridge opened on Wednesday, according to what they said on twitter.

As far as Blue Agave Cantina... I know next to nothing other that what you read on my blog (thanks for reading!). I saw where they were petitioning the city of Alpharetta. Most new restaurants have to do this for sign permits, maybe if they make changes to the facade of the building, etc. Alpharetta is notoriously slow in granting these things for restaurants (see BB's above), so I don't know when Blue Agave will open. I'd gander to guess sometime in the spring, based on past experience.

Offline luckileebob

• Email
« Reply #457 on: January 02, 2011, 05:49:34 PM »
carl is right ...the taco stand in buckhead was a licensing agreement for 5 years and even thought they were great guys..... they were not US. 
this taco stand in alpharetta will have the complete  real athens taco stand menu.... PLUS nitrate free DOGS...never frozen juicy wings that are baked NOT FRIED...
12 beers on tap and 12more in bottles very  carefully selected...
and jager is our house wine !!!  no one will ever ask you if you want bottle or tap because ALL the water and ice is triple filtered...and no attitude added.  we have a local farm producing grain fed never frozen 90% lean beef for our bugers no preservatives ...no antibiotics and  no hormones either !! and ...( on house baked buns...)
same for all the chicken including the wings...hot pretzels ...homemade soup, a bar pie (for when you want a little something)...gonna make you people very happy !!!!
look for us no later than february 1st !!! no kidding  Website up by friday.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #458 on: January 02, 2011, 06:04:41 PM »
Well the lovely lady only said the same franchise, not the same owners, but it sounds as if each owner has a lot of flexibility.

I guess I'll just wait a few weeks to get the answer to my questions.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #459 on: January 02, 2011, 06:21:26 PM »
OK, it took me a minute to remember where I read it, but it was in the Omnivore blog at the Loaf: LINK

Online buzz says that Athens-based The Taco Stand is working on a new Alpharetta location at Mansell and Old Alabama Connector. The spot will include a restaurant and a bar. The Taco Stand recently closed their only Atlanta area location in Buckhead - the space is now The Big Ketch.

I did mention that I believe it to be a franchise, though I'm a little suspicious of a franchise that let the Buckhead location be that bad for so long. Still, I wish the new owners/franchisees all the best and the best of luck.

Welcome to 285F, luckileebob. Will we be able to see you at the new location?
Food is my favorite.

Offline RootsInAlpharetta

• Roots in Alpharetta
    • Email
« Reply #460 on: January 04, 2011, 07:58:01 AM »
Jimmy Davis is reporting on his blog that a Twisted Taco franchise is opening in Johns Creek in the old Garrison's location, State Bridge and Medlock Bridge.

Here's a link for your browsing pleasure:
http://jdtablefortwo.blogspot.com/2010/12/twisted-taco-back-filling-former.html

Offline loveATL

• Email
« Reply #461 on: January 05, 2011, 07:09:44 AM »
According to What Now Atlanta, Pig n' Chik is taking over former Dusty's BBQ/Sage Hill Home Cooking space:

http://whatnowatlanta.com/2011/01/04/pig-n-chik-to-open-in-former-dustys-barbecue/

Offline loveATL

• Email
« Reply #462 on: January 05, 2011, 07:13:01 AM »
According to Tomorrow's News Today, Anothter Broken Egg, a FL based breakfast chain, will be opening in Peachtree Battle area in former Savor Specialty Foods space:

http://www.tonetoatl.com/2011/01/another-broken-egg-cafe-breaks-into.html

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #463 on: January 05, 2011, 09:21:05 AM »
I've eaten at the Another Broken Egg location in Sandestin. It's pretty good. Or it was a few years ago.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline uptown jimmy

• Email
« Reply #464 on: January 05, 2011, 10:25:27 AM »
The Taco Stand(s) in Athens are nasty. I'm shocked anyone would want to open another one.

There. I said it.