Author Topic: Coming Soon.....  (Read 225506 times)

Offline Melomom

• About Face
Re: Coming Soon.....
« Reply #315 on: October 07, 2010, 05:54:47 PM »
Somehow I missed this post from a week or so ago on Decatur Metro.  Burnt Fork, a new "international bbq" restaurant going into a space just vacated by a takeout Chinese place:

http://www.decaturmetro.com/2010/09/29/burnt-fork-bbq-setting-up-shop-in-old-jin-jin-space/#comments

Sounds good.

Offline RootsInAlpharetta

• Roots in Alpharetta
    • Email
« Reply #316 on: October 07, 2010, 08:08:01 PM »
Oh boy, this one is gonna be good...

K Cafe has quietly opened on Windward Parkway. They are across the street from Five Guys, I think in the space where Carvel Ice Cream used to be. I've seen next to nothing about them. I only learned about them from a competitor in the area. A few google searches reveals that this is a test concept from Krystal, trying to get into the quick serve burger space. I don't think I'm going out on a limb here, but I predict a miserable failure in the making.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #317 on: October 08, 2010, 08:14:24 AM »
Oh boy, this one is gonna be good...

K Cafe has quietly opened on Windward Parkway. They are across the street from Five Guys, I think in the space where Carvel Ice Cream used to be. I've seen next to nothing about them. I only learned about them from a competitor in the area. A few google searches reveals that this is a test concept from Krystal, trying to get into the quick serve burger space. I don't think I'm going out on a limb here, but I predict a miserable failure in the making.

I'm not familiar with the industry lingo. What is "quick serve burger" as opposed to "fast food burger" (which is what Krystal already is)?

• Roots in Alpharetta
    • Email
« Reply #318 on: October 08, 2010, 08:31:33 AM »
I might be getting my terms wrong. Quick serve, meaning places like Panera, Artuzi's, etc. Not fast food, but not full wait service. Most of these newer concept restaurants are falling into this category. See also... Raving Brands :-)

And after reading some more stuff, K Cafe might be more of a sandwich shop rather than burgers. The person I knew who's been there mentioned burgers. Then again, I think this is merely a test concept, so the menu may change frequently.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #319 on: October 08, 2010, 09:21:07 AM »
Aren't those called "Fast Casual"?

• Roots in Alpharetta
    • Email
« Reply #320 on: October 08, 2010, 09:52:36 AM »
Duh, yes  :-[

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #321 on: October 08, 2010, 12:54:54 PM »
BB's on State Bridge is having a soft opening next Thursday. Had lunch at McFarland today. They said they are doing quite a bit remodeling and cleaning up.

Yes they say they "hope" to hard open by "next weekend". Ah.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #322 on: October 13, 2010, 12:02:49 PM »
Tre Vietnamese Dining
3055 North Point Parkway
Suite 100 & 200
Alpharetta, Georgia 30005
http://trevietnamesedining.com/

Just saw the sign.  It's between Zaxby's and Lifetime Fitness on N. Point Parkway.  Please please please let there be good Vietnamese food 2 min from my office! :)

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #323 on: October 13, 2010, 12:34:07 PM »
Tre Vietnamese Dining
3055 North Point Parkway
Suite 100 & 200
Alpharetta, Georgia 30005
http://trevietnamesedining.com/

Just saw the sign.  It's between Zaxby's and Lifetime Fitness on N. Point Parkway.  Please please please let there be good Vietnamese food 2 min from my office! :)

It says "authentic".

Yes that would be kewl. One of the missing pieces to the the grubbing puzzle of uD International HQ is a nearby Vietnamese place. Saigon JCB to the east and that place in Rozstock to the west are slightly out of my daily distance range, but if this joint is good, that would be perfect.

• Roots in Alpharetta
    • Email
« Reply #324 on: October 14, 2010, 08:13:03 AM »
I agree. With so many options for this in Johns Creek, I'm surprised Alpharetta was lacking.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #325 on: October 14, 2010, 08:16:43 AM »
I agree. With so many options for this in Johns Creek, I'm surprised Alpharetta was lacking.

Are you saying there are some good Viet in JC? Kindly elaborate. I can literally walk to the border of JC.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #326 on: October 14, 2010, 08:24:52 AM »
The only okay to decent Vietnamese in Johns Creek that I've seen is New Saigon Bistro next to Super H.  It's okay, but quite frankly more Korean style than my tastes.  For example, pho with no cilantro?!?!  Say what? :)

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #327 on: October 14, 2010, 08:30:16 AM »
The only okay to decent Vietnamese in Johns Creek that I've seen is New Saigon Bistro next to Super H.  It's okay, but quite frankly more Korean style than my tastes.  For example, pho with no cilantro?!?!  Say what? :)

My hair stylist lady is very authentic Vietnamese and she likes that place.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #328 on: October 14, 2010, 08:45:13 AM »

My hair stylist lady is very authentic Vietnamese and she likes that place.

Don't get me wrong... I thought the food was decent to good.  I like lots of herbs (cilantro, basil, scallions, etc) with my soups and I found them not as generous.  The pho was not quite a flavored as I like.  I have lunch there maybe twice a month or so and when I've been there, the majority of the customers are Korean.   The ones that had pho had a plate of sliced (pickled?) onions as a side.  Perhaps a bad conclusion on my part, but I connected the two thoughts... that is, they tweaked the recipes to the likes/dislikes of the majority of the audience.

The good parts for me is that service is above average for a Vietnamese place.  The servers are very friendly and helpful.  The vermicelli dishes were better than average, but I really liked the Pho Bo Kho.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #329 on: October 14, 2010, 09:45:32 AM »
I was getting my Pho fix yesterday and noticed a new Chinese restaurant, Coco's, was opened were Wan Lai was. There is a Coco's Thai restaurant further down Buford but don't know if it is the same owners. I'm still upset that Wan Lai is no longer.
 :'(