Author Topic: Weather. Or not.  (Read 89415 times)

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
Re: Weather. Or not.
« Reply #255 on: April 27, 2011, 07:53:39 PM »
Watching 11Alive, they just showed a tornado on their 3-d radar heading toward Rome - glad we have tech to help spot them. Hope anyone up north is safe.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #256 on: April 27, 2011, 07:58:11 PM »
we're going to sleep in our basement for the 1st time because of a storm...seems scary this time

Offline Minerva

« Reply #257 on: April 28, 2011, 05:51:05 AM »
We were very, very lucky. Newsguy said metro Atlanta was pretty much untouched, yet watching reports of loss of life and severe damage elsewhere reinforced my decision to move us all downstairs for the night. Anyone have any damages at their abode?
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #258 on: April 28, 2011, 06:03:07 AM »
I'm not sure the sirens even sounded in Smyrna and they usually have a trigger finger! What happened? We moved to our basement...and ht eone time we do, nothing! Still glad we did though

Offline Minerva

« Reply #259 on: April 28, 2011, 06:18:29 AM »
It was like there was some giant protective bubble around Cobb County. Bulk of the storm moved through between midnight and 1 a.m. but it seemed toothless after seeing the radar on TV and listening to the dire warnings. Still, I'll go downstairs to sleep next time, too.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline Barnum

« Reply #260 on: April 28, 2011, 06:50:45 AM »
I'm not sure the sirens even sounded in Smyrna and they usually have a trigger finger! What happened? We moved to our basement...and ht eone time we do, nothing! Still glad we did though

Agreed, this year I've heard the Cobb sirens more than I have in the last 10 years... but nothing at all last night.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #261 on: April 28, 2011, 07:56:13 AM »
I popped my pills and got to sleep around 11 - I figured that it would either go around us like it has for the last 2 times, or I was going to wake up sleeping next to a tree. I did wake up when the squall line went through, but that was due to a tremendous amount of pain - I was literally writhing on the floor. I can't wait to get my back fixed.

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #262 on: April 28, 2011, 08:07:02 AM »
It was like there was some giant protective bubble around Cobb County.

I think the bubble extended over Roswell too.
We had some wind and a few sprinkles but that was it.
Very fortunate.
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #263 on: April 28, 2011, 08:12:51 AM »
This is the second time that the Atlanta metro area got lucky.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #264 on: April 28, 2011, 08:17:23 AM »
It was like there was some giant protective bubble around Cobb County.

I think the bubble extended over Roswell too.
We had some wind and a few sprinkles but that was it.
Very fortunate.

Us too.  I was up til around 2 am watching the news.  We don't have a basement (yet... priority for next house).  So I stayed up to watch the news reports and hustle the family downstairs into the hallway if necessary.  Thankfully, everyone got to sleep through it and only real damage was some loss sleep on my part.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #265 on: May 23, 2011, 06:08:48 PM »
Joplin - #9 all-time in deadliest tornadoes. And now they're thinking that the supercells can reform and hit the area again.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #266 on: May 23, 2011, 07:29:26 PM »
Joplin - #9 all-time in deadliest tornadoes. And now they're thinking that the supercells can reform and hit the area again.

Good grief, do they next expect some other plague?  Are locusts out of the question ?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline MadBob

« Reply #267 on: May 29, 2011, 08:22:32 AM »

Good grief, do they next expect some other plague?  Are locusts out of the question ?

Isn't it Cicada season?
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #268 on: May 31, 2011, 03:29:11 PM »
What is with this un-seasonable heat? Really bad for the garden and for water bills, which are already outrageous. Not to mention that it also makes me extremely grumpy.

Last year we had three solid months of temps at 90 or greater, beginning around June 1st. Is this just another anomaly? Anyone hear any theories? If it is going to be like this here in the summer every year, I will seriously think of moving. Normal highs should be around 83 degrees this time of year.

Offline MadBob

« Reply #269 on: June 01, 2011, 06:56:40 AM »
Put the blame on La Nina for the bad weather.
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.