Author Topic: Weather. Or not.  (Read 89414 times)

Offline totm

Re: Weather. Or not.
« Reply #195 on: January 19, 2011, 12:13:36 PM »
I am udderly (sic) amazed at how much garbage is pile up by people's driveways.  No HaagenDazs, this is NOT a complaint against DeKalb sanitation.  I personally can wait weeks for garbage pickup.  I just find it crazy that households that have one couple living in the abode, as ours does, has 4-8 bags of trash plus trashcans of garbage.  I put out our half full one standard size trash can last Friday.  Our can still isn't full.  One of the big reasons I think sanitation fees should be use based.  All garbage should be in paid for bags and you pay for the bags themselves.  The more you produce the more you pay, the less you produce the less you pay.  Recycling would be more encouraged (even though some of the above are recyclers).
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #196 on: January 21, 2011, 10:02:47 AM »
I am udderly (sic) amazed at how much garbage is pile up by people's driveways.  No HaagenDazs, this is NOT a complaint against DeKalb sanitation.  I personally can wait weeks for garbage pickup.  I just find it crazy that households that have one couple living in the abode, as ours does, has 4-8 bags of trash plus trashcans of garbage.  I put out our half full one standard size trash can last Friday.  Our can still isn't full.  One of the big reasons I think sanitation fees should be use based.  All garbage should be in paid for bags and you pay for the bags themselves.  The more you produce the more you pay, the less you produce the less you pay.  Recycling would be more encouraged (even though some of the above are recyclers).
We were too and decided it must be due to:
1 - People were home more, generating more garbage.
2 - Cities are temporarily lifting the limit on the number of cans you can set out and people are taking advantage of that.  In addition to regular trash they are putting out more stuff that might have been metered out over time.
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline totm

« Reply #197 on: January 22, 2011, 07:37:33 PM »
  Like totm says, Dekalb Co. is not doing their job!
And apparently they realize that:
http://www.ajc.com/news/dekalb/dekalb-assessing-response-to-804410.html

Offline MadBob

« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2011, 08:35:59 AM »
We were too and decided it must be due to:
1 - People were home more, generating more garbage.
2 - Cities are temporarily lifting the limit on the number of cans you can set out and people are taking advantage of that.  In addition to regular trash they are putting out more stuff that might have been metered out over time.
Kinda makes you wonder with the amount of trash set out! You can see how many folks really know how to pack. Like breaking down boxes and filling the voids. Kinda like that College perfessor with his jar of golf balls, rocks, gravel, sand then water. Is it full now?
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #199 on: February 28, 2011, 08:46:47 AM »
Sounds like we need to nail everything down this afternoon... 60 mph gusts!?!

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2011, 09:19:10 AM »
I always get spooked by the trees behind the house - the big pines get a little frisky in high winds.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2011, 09:38:53 AM »
with any luck the wind will knock down a ginourmous oak tree, in the adjacent subdivision, that shades my lawn and house...no damage to any houses please...just remove that oak...

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2011, 09:51:16 AM »
60 mph? Weatherunderground says 15-25 mph.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2011, 09:53:49 AM »

Looks like the ajc.com article got updated.  The headline read 60 mph this morning.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2011, 09:54:56 AM »

Looks like the ajc.com article got updated.  The headline read 60 mph this morning.

The oak is still there.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2011, 10:11:31 AM »
When they warn of wind speeds like 60 mph, they are talking about very isolated areas and even then it's not a guarantee.  It's kind of like saying there is a risk of tornadoes.  Will there be tornadoes?  Maybe, maybe not, but they won't be widespread and they won't affect everyone.  Same with these 60 mph gusts.  Unless there is a VERY rare weather event, the only way we would have widespread 60 mph+ winds is to have a hurricane blow through Atlanta.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2011, 11:49:04 AM »
They are seeing gusts up to 50-60 mph in this system, but it's been in the area north of the GA state line. Mo, KY, and W Va are getting whacked pretty hard.

Looks like we may escape the nasty stuff...

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/severe-storm-damage-reports_2011-02-28

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2011, 01:52:41 PM »

Figures. Stormtrackerdangerdangercheckineveryfiveminutesblackice-weather reporting drives me absolutely nuts. I can't even watch it on tv at all anymore. So overly dramatic!! Come to think of it, that is why I never ever watch any local tv news. It is all crap and fear-mongering. History-changing uprisings ripple across the Middle East? Nah, we'd rather report on a local stabbing or police chase or idiot who got themselves into trouble.

Probably should have gone in the pet peeves thread. Glad we seem to be missing the worst of the weather so far.

Offline totm

« Reply #208 on: February 28, 2011, 02:28:55 PM »
with any luck the wind will knock down a ginourmous oak tree, in the adjacent subdivision, that shades my lawn and house...no damage to any houses please...just remove that oak...
I'm somewhat like you Jmo, I want the two nasty Leyland Cypress trees next to the back deck knocked down but I want them to lean gently on the house.  Allstate, would you please get these trees off the house?

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2011, 02:57:34 PM »
I'm somewhat like you Jmo, I want the two nasty Leyland Cypress trees next to the back deck knocked down but I want them to lean gently on the house.  Allstate, would you please get these trees off the house?

Don't people pay big money to plant those?