Author Topic: Weather. Or not.  (Read 89417 times)

Offline uOTPia Dweller

Re: Weather. Or not.
« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2011, 06:03:18 PM »
I'm amazed there's still so much snow/ice on the ground! I went the back way to Dutch Monkey (when I have my heart attack, please point my survivors there for the cause)

I saw she was teasing with 2-for-1. That's not playing fair.

Not sure which is more risky. Driving there on the ice, or what's in the display case.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: January 16, 2011, 12:00:21 PM »
The supporting person, alleged to have been the same person, did add a humble self-reflection that he was a much bigger expert on parenting BEFORE he became one.

Well, I guess that's just where we'll have to agree to disagree. Before I became a parent, I never, ever assumed that I knew more about parenting than people who are actually parents. Now that I do know what it's like to be a parent, I'm still not very judgmental, unless a specific instance calls for it, and especially since I know what it's like to raise a mentally challenged child, I understand that it's not something to be trivialized.

But isn't it great that most of the snow is melting? I want to go out and do something fun to celebrate!
Food is my favorite.

Offline totm

« Reply #182 on: January 16, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »
I'm amazed there's still so much snow/ice on the ground!
I don't find it surprising in our subdivision but when it is still on a road that is frequently used to avoid I-285 between Ashford-Dunwoody and Chamblee-Dunwoody tells me DeKalb county sucks taking care of their residents.  Supposedly trash pickup was to resume Thursday and Friday with those homes that couldn't be done those 2 days being done Saturday.  Maybe ours will be picked up next Friday.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #183 on: January 16, 2011, 03:18:40 PM »
I don't find it surprising in our subdivision but when it is still on a road that is frequently used to avoid I-285 between Ashford-Dunwoody and Chamblee-Dunwoody tells me DeKalb county sucks taking care of their residents.  Supposedly trash pickup was to resume Thursday and Friday with those homes that couldn't be done those 2 days being done Saturday.  Maybe ours will be picked up next Friday.
Neighborhood trash was picked up today.

STILL idiots out there. People walking on still icy roads at night with their kids in tow. That one floored me - a truck almost got stuck trying to get around them. Oy.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2011, 03:18:51 PM »

Offline Girly

« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2011, 04:16:20 PM »

My surprise was more based on the history of snow staying on the ground in ATL - this is the longest I've seen in almost 40 years :)

We got mail starting on Thurs and I finally got a FedEx delivery yesterday (was showing due on Thurs)

Offline totm

« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »
Neighborhood trash was picked up today.

STILL idiots out there. People walking on still icy roads at night with their kids in tow. That one floored me - a truck almost got stuck trying to get around them. Oy.
No doubt about idiots.  Saw a smallish SUV with snow/ice covering about 3/4 of the front windshield that had kids in car seats in the back seat.

We got mail delivery yesterday that was lighter for six days than we've had for a 3 day trip.  I firmly believe the USPS has become the most inefficient operation in existence.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2011, 05:12:56 PM »

We didn't get mail all week..  though there were mail trucks running up and down Lee road Thursday, Friday & Saturday..

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2011, 08:23:58 PM »
Got Mon-Sat editions of AJC and WSJ yesterday in 2 bags.  I really don't want to read all of that anymore.

Garbage was supposed to be picked up Thursday, then Friday, then Saturday.  Didn't happen.  Neighbors have stuff sitting out from last weekend, and my garage is overflowing with recycling.  Like totm says, Dekalb Co. is not doing their job!

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #189 on: January 17, 2011, 09:00:54 AM »
Our mail came starting last Thursday but the roads were not really fit for it.  Even on Friday, myself and a neighbor literally had to help push a mail truck off our other neighbor's mailbox.  The truck had slid into the gutter, nicked the mailbox a bit, scratched the truck and got himself stuck.

I think the counties and cities are doing all they can.  You can't plow ice with regular snow plow trucks, get over it.  It has been a long, long time since a storm like this came through and iced the roads for days and days at a time.  I would rather see trash delivery halted for a week (like ours was in Roswell) than have a $150,000+ garbage truck slide down our street taking out everything in its path.

Offline totm

« Reply #190 on: January 17, 2011, 12:20:49 PM »
Our mail came starting last Thursday but the roads were not really fit for it.  Even on Friday, myself and a neighbor literally had to help push a mail truck off our other neighbor's mailbox.  The truck had slid into the gutter, nicked the mailbox a bit, scratched the truck and got himself stuck.

I think the counties and cities are doing all they can.  You can't plow ice with regular snow plow trucks, get over it.  It has been a long, long time since a storm like this came through and iced the roads for days and days at a time.  I would rather see trash delivery halted for a week (like ours was in Roswell) than have a $150,000+ garbage truck slide down our street taking out everything in its path.
I will partially retract my comment on USPS because I just saw a mail truck (are they trucks?) in our 'hood.

But I'm not giving DeKalb county any slack.  The city of Chamblee cleared their part of the road in question Thursday.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #191 on: January 17, 2011, 01:04:31 PM »
I will partially retract my comment on USPS because I just saw a mail truck (are they trucks?) in our 'hood.

But I'm not giving DeKalb county any slack.  The city of Chamblee cleared their part of the road in question Thursday.

Remember lots of local municipalities were using hired private contractors to clear roads.  I can't say whether Chamblee did that or not but it seems a likely scenario.  Of course DeKalb can't really do that, it's just too big.  

I'm of the opinion that we were hit off guard by this storm, yes, but given the very, very rare occurrence of a storm of this scale it's unnecessary that we need to keep heavy and expensive equipment on hand to clear the roads for garbage and mail once every 25+ years.  And again, you can't plow ice on the roads.  For driving on ice you need chains.  

Let's also not forget that we dodged a bullet as it is.  Can you imagine the mayhem that a significant ice storm would have caused on top of all this, as was forecast?  Forget some ice on the roads, at least we had power & cable, and the large tree limbs that hang over many of our roofs remained intact.  In the event that significant icing did happen, I think mail, trash and a few closed roads would be the least of our concerns.  People would be bitching about Georgia Power's response, and the cold water dripping on our mattresses and computers from broken limbs poking through our ceilings.  
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:07:46 PM by HaagenDazs »

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #192 on: January 17, 2011, 01:28:53 PM »
Article in today's AJC about the frequency of snowstorms in Atlanta:

http://www.politifact.com/georgia/statements/2011/jan/17/john-eaves/was-snowstorm-rare/

Offline Girly

« Reply #193 on: January 17, 2011, 05:20:46 PM »
Still a lot of snow in the mountains - like "this is a well traveled road and I'm still sliding all around" snow still there. They are starting the schools late tomorrow. So far, 9 days missed so far. They're going to be going to school in July.

We first moved to ATL in 66. This is the longest I've ever seen it stay on the ground. Even in the mountains in 93 it wasn't there this long.

And yes, we are outrageously lucky there wasn't as much ice as predicted. Power for most people stayed on. Like HD said, waiting a few days for mail and garbage pickup is pretty minor compared to what it could have been. And you know if this had been in 2006 when everyone had money, the governments would have bought millions of dollars worth of barely used equipment in the next few months ;)

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #194 on: January 17, 2011, 08:43:08 PM »
I can deal with garbage, etc. not being picked up for a week, but please, quit teasing us with reports that it will be this day, or that, everyone hauls it to the street only to bring it back later on.

Still lots of snow/ice on the shady street in front of nearby elementary school.  The parking lot is a mess and today they had the parents out shoveling it clear for tomorrow.  Pathetic.  Apparently, Dekalb Co BOE can't be bothered.