Author Topic: Weather. Or not.  (Read 89413 times)

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Re: Weather. Or not.
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2011, 09:34:59 AM »
I'm not worried about my ability, it's the idiot factor of others.
this morning in the news they showed a car that had an accident smashing into a truck..thje front end was destroyed, guy had to be cut out....WTF was he thinking? Had to be going at least 40 or 50 mph.

I was most impressed with the guy Monday that caught his Beemer on fire by excessively spinning the wheels.

Hah! i didn't realize that was possible.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2011, 09:38:11 AM »
I'm not worried about my ability, it's the idiot factor of others.
this morning in the news they showed a car that had an accident smashing into a truck..thje front end was destroyed, guy had to be cut out....WTF was he thinking? Had to be going at least 40 or 50 mph.

I was most impressed with the guy Monday that caught his Beemer on fire by excessively spinning the wheels.

Hah! i didn't realize that was possible.

I saw that flash by yesterday also.  I just wasn't sure what started the fire.  Could have been a broken fuel line or something else associated with an idiot driving his car at 100 mph while stationary for long periods of time. 

Offline Minerva

« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2011, 10:16:57 AM »
One of our Roswell employees who lives east of 400 got stuck on Holcomb Bridge trying to make it to the office. Nowe she's stuck on a hill in her neighborhood trying to get back home. Another employee in an F-150 who lives in Holly Springs got as far as Roswell and turned around because she said the roads in Roz are awful.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2011, 10:20:35 AM »
One of our Roswell employees who lives east of 400 got stuck on Holcomb Bridge trying to make it to the office. Nowe she's stuck on a hill in her neighborhood trying to get back home. Another employee in an F-150 who lives in Holly Springs got as far as Roswell and turned around because she said the roads in Roz are awful.

Yep between Facebook and the HOA posting board, I am getting plenty of first person updates. One thing is clear, if you don't have to...

Ah, have always loved the advantages of working from my dungeon, but so much more so the last few days. I did have a rough commute though. One of my kids, off from school today of course, nearly crashed into me just after I got a coffee refill.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »
Cabin fever got the best of me, and I tried to make it to a MARTA station, where my wife could drop me off and return home, but even that didn't work.  Although the SUV did admirably, cars and semis were sliding and getting stuck all over the place, requiring others to go around them, which led to the others sliding and blocking other lanes.  We turned around and went home.  Another day working remotely.  Got a conference call in a half hour that should be loads of fun with all the distractions here at home.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2011, 10:36:32 AM »
Hubby is back at work, slaving away in the polymer chemical mines. He had to go early because his boss was calling him from England at 8. Luckily it's not a long drive.

I, however, am not going anywhere any time soon.
Food is my favorite.

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2011, 10:57:49 AM »
From Roswell police Lt. James McGee: "The Roswell police Department are asking everyone to stay off of the Roads in the City of Roswell. With the thawing and re-freezing of the ice; the roads have become more dangerous. We are asking all persons to please stay off of the roads in the City of Roswell unless it is an emergency."
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline Barnum

« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2011, 01:29:47 PM »
I just tried to venture out.  Backed out of the driveway onto our uphill street... and promptly started sliding backward.  What the heck, put it in reverse and backed down to the cul-de-sac at the bottom of the hill and was able to get enough of a running start on dry pavement to get back up to my driveway and back into the garage.  Admittedly, I do not have 4WD and the BMW's power to weight ratio makes it lousy on ice because it's nearly impossible to NOT spin the tires, but I'm not sure I'd have done much better with my old jeep on the ice.  The good news is there continues to be water running under the ice as it melts off, just not sure if the intermittent sun will be enough to take care of it today. 

Also getting good info on the HOA website and sounds like Smyrna police have shut down S. Cobb Drive north of E-W Connector.

Offline Girly

« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2011, 02:33:30 PM »
I slid all over the place including plopping myself firmly in someone's front yard trying to avoid the cars stopped at the bottom of the hill. Thank goodness for an SUVs high ground clearance. I won't be doing it again until a decent thaw, but if I hadn't done it, I would be sitting here wondering if I could ;) Plus I bought steaks for dinner so the trip wasn't a total waste.

I only got what I could carry back if the car got stuck (and some cat litter I'll keep in there for icy days). Lots of folks shopping for a month or so, it seemed  ;D

Offline Barnum

« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2011, 02:43:36 PM »
I slid all over the place including plopping myself firmly in someone's front yard trying to avoid the cars stopped at the bottom of the hill. Thank goodness for an SUVs high ground clearance. I won't be doing it again until a decent thaw, but if I hadn't done it, I would be sitting here wondering if I could ;) Plus I bought steaks for dinner so the trip wasn't a total waste.

I only got what I could carry back if the car got stuck (and some cat litter I'll keep in there for icy days). Lots of folks shopping for a month or so, it seemed  ;D

I envy you your meat... I was just looking through the freezer for something to start a batch of smoked chili con carne... have the dried peppers and plenty of beer, just hate using ground meat...

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2011, 04:09:57 PM »

CP and I in my Tahoe did get out and to Publix, as well as picking up our niece Cassie for a sleep over.  Parts of the roads are worse than yesterday with thick ice and very crunchy hard snow. 

The store near us did get a delivery today so they had all hands on deck stocking shelves.  There was NO chicken, nor bread, but there was boxes of veggies being put out.  I found enough stuff for dinner tonight and am satisfied with an $11.00 bottle of wine for a sip later. 

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline rwcohen

• So many restaurants, so little time...
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2011, 04:14:34 PM »
Cabin fever got the best of me. That and a printer that firmly broke down. Since I lice near Sams on Clairmont I decided I needed to give it a shot. No problem, the street to my complex was pretty well cleared. Clairmont had at least one good lane in each direction. Sams parking lot was was very clean. I got a new printer and then decided to see if I could get to Buford Hwy. Again, staying in the ruts was very successful.

What do you know, Senor Taco was open. Got seafood soup and fish tacos for dinner along with a good sized fried for free.

I got back home and checked on Amazon and the printer was 20 bucks cheaper with no tax and free 2 day delivery. I'll go back to Sams over the weekend to return it.

thankyouverymuch.................
A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you.
Margaret Atwood

Schizophrenia beats dining alone.
Oscar Levant

A Cannibal is a person who walks into a restaurant and orders a waiter.
Morey Amsterdam

Offline cuechick

• Piewacket Blog
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2011, 04:57:29 PM »
I am staying put till the weekend. I do not do ice. I think the only thing I might run out of is half & half. If I am careful I may be able to make it last till Saturday... when it is suppose to warm up.

I just thank god we hit made it to Trader Joe's before the storm hit. :D

Fresh Pie!

Offline MadBob

« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2011, 05:09:32 PM »
2 1/2 hour to ATL Airport, 53 min to get back, I got a new toy o-we-o, and a 19.6 lb Kruse Ham from SoCal... yum-o to coin another phrase!
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2011, 05:10:01 PM »
My husband just spent an hour trying to get up the hill and into our driveway, which was completely iced over. He's taking a vacation day tomorrow.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14