Author Topic: Weather. Or not.  (Read 68809 times)

Offline Girly

Re: Weather. Or not.
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 05:31:33 PM »
In my impatience to get off the mountians I attempted the feat before I should have. My SUV is now balancing precariously on a cliff after sliding about 100 feet and taking a few railway ties with it. It has another 20 feet it can fall before it damages the back. I have someone trying to get it back on the road but they couldn't get w/in d streets of mine. So it sits. If this was the first time I had overestimated this SUV's ability I could claim ignorance. But it's the 2nd time I've slid it off the mountain. It's very underpowered for its weight. I never thought I'd miss Alpharetta's traffic and restaurants, lol. There are 4 of here and we have food so we won't have to resort to Donnorism, but I always want something I can't have :)

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 08:56:41 PM »
Yikes! Glad you are ok. We have an old Rav 4 that I always used to expect would be better in the snow than it really is. So we take the Volvo S40 when we drive to NY at Christmas. What kind of SUV do you have? We may be in the market for another that does well in the snow.

Offline Girly

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 11:05:24 PM »
I've lived in a 4WD area for years. I've had the following SUVs: Pathfinder, Liberty, Explorer, Cherokee and Wrangler. I would recommend the Cherokee and the Wrangler for having to deal with actual 4WD driving. All of them had 4WD and not AWD because I needed 4WDL. I have talked to a lot of car folk regarding 4WD and almost all have told me that for regular snow driving (not snow driving up a cliff like I'm doing) a good FWD car is fine. AWD if you're looking for an SUV would probably do well too. I suspect your RAV4 is underpowered. My fav was the Cherokee with a 5.7 V8. That thing went anywhere :)

The new Explorer will have FWD - I think for the first time ever. But they don't hold their value at all and the trim and fit were awful in mine. I had the EB edition and it was worse than my Pathfinder.

I've also had trucks. The problem with them is that unless you weigh down the back you may not get the full use of your 4WD

Edmunds.com is my go-to site for vehicles. Hang around the message boards and see what people are saying about the cars they own. You can find out the good and bad about anything you'd want in there ;)

My dream car is the Landcruiser. I ask for one every Christmas. I think the problem is that I need a bigger stocking....

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2010, 10:07:25 AM »
I lived in Detroit and worked for an automotive supplier for a lot of years.  I always had small FWD cars, and they performed well in all but the most nasty conditions when I wouldn't recommend anyone drive in any sort of vehicle.  Having antilock brakes is a great safety feature that every car should have no matter what conditions are.  4WD is best for the harshest conditions like the Serengeti or upstate NY, but unless you have a real need for that capability, it's usually a waste of money (and bad on gas mileage as well).  My sister lives in Vermont, and she like most people there has an AWD vehicle.  In fact she just bought a RAV4 which she likes a lot.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline Girly

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2011, 03:21:07 PM »
I am back in Alpharetta so the weather has followed me.

Bread, milk, booze, snacks. I'm set :) And I have others watching my place in the woods. It's nice not to have to worry about a 4WD road to get out of but no one in this hood has a full house auto generator either :(

Hope everyone stays safe and warm!

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2011, 03:34:58 PM »

Bread, milk, booze, snacks. I'm set :) And I have others watching my place in the woods. It's nice not to have to worry about a 4WD road to get out of but no one in this hood has a full house auto generator either :(

Latest guesstamates put the metro ATL snowfall at 3-6", with a record possible. Man, I remember snow jam - hoping it isn't as bad. But sleet is supposed to follow the snow, so everyone keep safe.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2011, 05:48:23 PM »
So happy to be telecommuting on Monday. . . :)

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2011, 05:58:12 PM »
Monday's my compressed day off. Oh well.

Offline Girly

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2011, 05:59:28 PM »

Latest guesstamates put the metro ATL snowfall at 3-6", with a record possible. Man, I remember snow jam - hoping it isn't as bad. But sleet is supposed to follow the snow, so everyone keep safe.

Yeah, we have too many ways to get info for a true Snowjam to happen again - that one caught us by surprise (if you're referring to 82). So many northerners don't understand our "snow/melt/freeze" situations and think we don't know how to drive on snow. Well, we don't but my husband was from upstate NY and couldn't drive in Snowjam either ;)

Power is my main worry.

The stores were completely empty of people and still had bread and milk when I went back out an hour ago. Tomorrow will probably be brutal.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2011, 11:04:28 PM »
It would be fun except that we live on a block that the power goes out on regularly. No problem with the heat or the water but the fridge being out drives me crazy - especially since the neighbors almost all have power when we do not.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2011, 08:29:16 AM »
We have two bags of Ice Melt for our decks and stairs (dogs have to make it to the back yard, dontcha know) but I'm wondering if some other product also works. Saw TV news shot of peeps loading up on big bags of something that I think said "pool" on it but couldn't catch the name of the product. Would like to pick up something for reserve. No more Ice Melt anywhere.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
We have two bags of Ice Melt for our decks and stairs (dogs have to make it to the back yard, dontcha know) but I'm wondering if some other product also works. Saw TV news shot of peeps loading up on big bags of something that I think said "pool" on it but couldn't catch the name of the product. Would like to pick up something for reserve. No more Ice Melt anywhere.

Pool salts - used with a chlorine generator.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2011, 09:17:22 AM »
It would be fun except that we live on a block that the power goes out on regularly. No problem with the heat or the water but the fridge being out drives me crazy - especially since the neighbors almost all have power when we do not.
You guys are always welcome if your power goes out (and I still have mine...) ;D

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2011, 09:23:31 AM »
You guys are always welcome if your power goes out (and I still have mine...) ;D

Same here, bring sleeping bags

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »
Pool salts - used with a chlorine generator.

Thanks, KoPP. This is a lot like what I used to go through in South Florida when a hurricane threatened. Only there, I knew what supplies to lay in; here, not so much.  :P
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown