Author Topic: Weather. Or not.  (Read 67266 times)

Offline LizR

• Email
Re: Weather. Or not.
« Reply #285 on: August 26, 2011, 02:38:36 PM »
Car temperature display just read 112 degrees. It has been my experience that it is usually three degrees off - in the up direction. But still.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #286 on: August 27, 2011, 09:02:39 AM »
Having moved here from South Florida to escape the unrelenting heat and humidity, I tend to stay hermetically sealed indoors with fans in every room going full blast and the A/C set as low as I can without inducing extreme power bills. But at least it's not 100 degrees plus out there. SO's brother in Dallas had an $848 power bill last month and they never had the temp set lower than 78, or so they say,

On another note. SO's daughter and grandson live in Virginia Beach, just blocks from the ocean. They went 30 minutes inland to stay with a friend, She called just now to say the power is already out and she was turning off her cell to conserve the battery. I know they'll be safe, but it's going to be a very rough 24 hours and then a miserable two or three days with the heat, no power and flooding. On reflection, Atlanta's weather doesn't seem so bad to me just now.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #287 on: August 27, 2011, 01:27:30 PM »
Point taken!

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #288 on: August 27, 2011, 03:37:50 PM »
We were very lucky and had only strong winds most of the day and hard rain a couple of times yesterday. Power flickered a bit but we never lost it completely. We were packed and ready to roll out of here with supplies if it had not turned north as they were predicting.

Drove down to the beach this morning and there was water and debris up into the parking areas but the water was very calm today and lots of surfers trying to catch what small waves were coming in.

Offline totm

« Reply #289 on: August 29, 2011, 12:01:45 PM »
I was quite amazed at the wind we got from the outer bands of Irene Saturday.  I sure hope one of our members is safe with all the flooding way up north.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #290 on: August 29, 2011, 01:27:29 PM »
I was in Savannah over the weekend.  A little blustery and gray for part of Friday, but otherwise Irene was hardly noticeable.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #291 on: March 02, 2012, 06:21:35 PM »
Forecasters are making me very nervous. Probably a good idea for everyone to keep a clear path to the basement tonight. Even if you don't get a twister, trees are likely to come down on some houses.
Or am I just being paranoid?
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #292 on: March 03, 2012, 10:40:56 PM »
Forecasters are making me very nervous. Probably a good idea for everyone to keep a clear path to the basement tonight. Even if you don't get a twister, trees are likely to come down on some houses.
Or am I just being paranoid? 

It is better sleeping tonight, that's for sure.

No boomers.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #293 on: April 24, 2012, 11:30:06 AM »
The past several weeks of awesome weather is lulling me into believing that maybe, just maybe, not every day from June 1st to September 1st will be over 90. What a great spring we have had!

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #294 on: April 25, 2012, 02:57:33 PM »
There's been talk of an El Nino developing but I'll believe it when I see it.  El Nino equals cooler summer temps for us here in the southeast.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #295 on: April 25, 2012, 04:29:49 PM »
There's been talk of an El Nino developing but I'll believe it when I see it.  El Nino equals cooler summer temps for us here in the southeast. 

I just hope it doesn't throw off the fishing off the San Diego coast in August.  Last year was an amazing year for us/me and I was hoping for another boatload of good tuna to ship back home. 

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #296 on: April 25, 2012, 06:46:37 PM »
I just hope it doesn't throw off the fishing off the San Diego coast in August.  Last year was an amazing year for us/me and I was hoping for another boatload of good tuna to ship back home. 

Well, we'll wish you a good trip but if it means we have to suffer through a super-hot summer, you better bring us back some tuna.  ;)

Offline totm

« Reply #297 on: April 26, 2012, 08:07:35 AM »

Well, we'll wish you a good trip but if it means we have to suffer through a super-hot summer, you better bring us back some tuna.  ;)
And host a 285F event with it!  8-)
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #298 on: April 26, 2012, 10:42:43 AM »

And host a 285F event with it!  8-)

+1!!

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #299 on: June 28, 2012, 01:10:42 PM »

Do I have an "Amen" after I shout    "Damn it's hot"