Author Topic: Atlanta Braves  (Read 4835 times)

Offline totm

Atlanta Braves
« on: April 06, 2010, 11:19:40 AM »
Best home opener in 26 years!
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline totm

Re: Atlanta Braves
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 10:54:37 AM »
At this rate it looks like the team will be sending Bobby off the same way he started the current tenure - in LAST place with the worst record in the league and maybe the majors.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 11:06:34 AM »
At this rate it looks like the team will be sending Bobby off the same way he started the current tenure - in LAST place with the worst record in the league and maybe the majors.

It seems that the current Atlanta sports franchises, with hopefully the exception of the Falcons, totally suck. I have tickets for the Royals when they come to town - it looks like it might be a good game. For the Royals.

Offline Chocoholic

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 02:54:08 PM »
[I have tickets for the Royals when they come to town - it looks like it might be a good game. For the Royals.

Oh, OUCH.

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 12:45:39 AM »
Please!  As long as the Nationals are in the NL East, there is someone worse in the the division.  And as long as the Pirates are around there is a worse run team.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 02:25:27 PM »
Yep the correct spelling is "Booby". All that talent and just one World Series. No coach in sports history has done less with more. Only Marty Shottenheimer comes close in my lifetime.
Gospel of uOTPian dining http://scoopotp.com/author/joe-duffy/

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 02:58:35 PM »
When his brain actually works, he can figure out an offense like no other. But he still does the 'old school' pitch count crap, and doesn't stick with a smallball attitude that works with this team (we have some great contact hitters - swinging for the fences is rather stupid if we can just get our current on-base percentage converted to actual runs). Pretty sad. I do hope that the powers-that-be can get La Russa for a replacement - he'd rule with our lineup. Unfortunately, we'd probably sign Pendleton. And I might as well move back to KC.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 08:34:43 AM »
Finally, the Braves are putting together some great games - we're in 2nd now (but still 4.5 behind the Philthies), but if we can harvest some games from Pitt before we go to Florida, hopefully we can get closer to 1st. Heyward is hitting like an All-Star...

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 04:06:43 PM »
When his brain actually works, he can figure out an offense like no other. But he still does the 'old school' pitch count crap, and doesn't stick with a smallball attitude that works with this team (we have some great contact hitters - swinging for the fences is rather stupid if we can just get our current on-base percentage converted to actual runs). Pretty sad. I do hope that the powers-that-be can get La Russa for a replacement - he'd rule with our lineup. Unfortunately, we'd probably sign Pendleton. And I might as well move back to KC.

The importance of a a manager is vastly overrated.  There's no such thing as a genius coach/manager, although LaRussa certainly believes it.  At most a top manager can gain 8-10 games a season through good moves.  Otherwise it's all on the players to execute. 

Maybe the Braves didn't win more pennants or World Series because they weren't good enough or were just unlucky.  Luck has more to do with success in sports than anyone wants to admit; a fraction of an inch is the difference between a ball and a strike, and a fraction of a second between safe or out, fly ball or home run.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 02:33:30 PM »
Saaaaaweep baybee! 2nd in a row!

Offline totm

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 07:38:49 AM »
When was the last time we were up 2.5 games in first place the first of June?  mlb.com will only go back as far as 2003 when we were up 1.5 games.  The Dodgers, Twins, & Rays series may be season defining.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 08:14:35 AM »
It's been a long time - 90's if I remember rightly. It's also been a long time since we've had 2 sweeps in a row.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 09:31:05 PM »
I was actually able to last a couple of innings, then went home to watch the rest of a fantastic game - another walk-off dinger to take advantage of a Mets and Philthies loss.

Looks like Mayfield has some decent ice cream available. And yes, the spicy Chick-Fil-A is an option at a non-Sunday game.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 08:22:09 AM »
Walk-off balk in the 10th wins it for the Braves. Watching it, it's really hard to tell when it happens.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=15978629

Chipper back to his old games (5 rbis, out day-to-day), and Conrad comes in and is a hero this time (game-tying 2-run HR).

Haven't been watching a lot of baseball - really should.