Author Topic: Easter  (Read 3781 times)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Easter
« on: March 30, 2010, 04:34:11 PM »

Our Easter dinners were truly a springtime ritual in N.E. Ohio.

Grandma always made a huge ham, and did peas and mashed potatoes and several Hungarian things that I don't remember their names.  There was a substantial amount of praying that went along with the day and meal too as I remember. Prayers hoping that the garden would do well, and that the chickens would be laying eggs, and that the business did well.

The entire family (both sides) had no use for lamb so it was not mentioned. 

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Minerva

Re: Easter
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 06:21:56 AM »
I grew up in the same neck of the woods. As I recall, egg hunts were the order of the day upon awakening, then church (that part petered out as my brother and I grew older, as the 'rents and grand 'rents weren't churchy people and we kids didn't feel strongly about it one way or the other until many years later).

Hot cross buns for breakfast. Wouldn't be Easter without them.

Everyone in our family adored lamb, so that was always dinner. Fresh asparagus was usually there, too, sometimes peas and pearl onions, and grandma's pear and mint jelly salad.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:23:41 AM »
As a child growing up in a big Italian family (in California), Easter was typically waking up to a colorful basket prepared by mom with cellophane grass and various Easter themed candies.  Then off to church.  After church, families would arrive at the house chosen for that year's gathering and the children would hunt Easter eggs that had been planted inside and outside the house while the women prepared a feast of traditional Easter favorites and the men smoked, got drunk and watched the children hunt for Easter eggs.
One of my favorite memories was finding an egg behind aunt Nellie's couch later that summer.
I was about to crack it open and mom and Nellie never moved so fast to get that rotten egg out of my hands before I stunk up the house!

Flash forward to more current times.
Had an Easter brunch party a number of years ago and decided to hide colored eggs and provide baskets.
You would not believe how much fun the guests had and how silly these adults looked prancing about with their baskets, hunting for eggs!  You literally could see them regress.  That was a lot of fun.
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 08:26:45 AM »
Our Easter mornings always, without question, started with my sister crying.  

She wasn't upset about Easter or fluffy bunnies or anything, she just got mad because I would find more eggs than she did. We did 2 egg hunts: one in the early morning with those little chocolate eggs hidden around the inside of the house and then one later with the real deal (outside) once we got home from church.

Dinner was usually a mix of various items as family and eventually a neighbor or 2 would show up and bring something to share.  The family has a strong German, Lutheran background but Easter wasn't about traditional foods as much as it was getting together.  We almost always had lamb and if I was lucky one of the cousins would bring over some smoked venison.  Lamb was always served with mint jelly.  As a kid that was really the fun part - what kid wouldn't like fluorescent green goo on their plate?  Mom still loves the stuff...  
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 08:30:35 AM by HaagenDazs »

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 10:09:41 AM »

I should have said that church was a big part of the Sunday ritual, Easter was no exception.  Occasionally one of the priests would come for that early Easter dinner.  The older priest in our parish was a friend of the family as I grew up, he and my grandpa would go out to the porch and smoke a cigar and talk about the world (I guess), when dinner was done?  They would shoo the children out into the yard or into the basement so they could have the time to speak quietly. 

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 05:50:40 PM »
We just got back from Dalton visiting my Mother-in-Law and wife's sister and nephew. We took up my grilled leg of lamb, roasted potatoes, Boston cream pie and I finished asparagus up there by doing a quick pan sautee in butter and olive oil. The meal was quite a success if I do say so myself M-i-L said it was her favorite meal I had prepared for her and that is saying something. She really enjoys her meals. The Boston cream pie was pretty good also. I have had better maybe but still it wasn't too bad for my first one. With a little practice I think I could really knock one out but really don't need the calories. It was a nice way to spend Easter.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 11:02:59 AM »

Happy Easter to all of you good folk.  May spring find you blessed and in good health.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 12:48:02 PM »

A first for me on Easter, I did not cook a thing.  We went to our aunt's house and watched eggs being hunted, a 4 year old nephew having his birthday cake and ate other folks food.  We did not host nor cook this year, it has been a long time since I've had an Easter off. 

I'm not sure I like it better than cooking a big meal and having folks here at the house embracing spring and celebrating the several spring holidays.  I didn't have to clean up before nor after though, I did like that part.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 04:18:52 AM »

Happy Easter and Easter season to you all..

Spring is here..