Author Topic: NYC VACATION  (Read 3317 times)

Offline highbrow

• Email
NYC VACATION
« on: March 16, 2010, 10:57:13 PM »
So I have been to NYC on business but the trip was so planned out I was unable to enjoy any real exploring and my wife has never been. So as a spur of the moment thing ( god not having kids is great ) we decided April 8th - 12th we are going to go, now here is here the help is. We are going to enjoy food, so people where do we need to go, would prefer small hole in the wall places unless it is a must, I need as much info as possible, donuts to beef ribs, sweet and sour chicken to waffles please help.

thanks

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
Re: NYC VACATION
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 08:08:24 AM »
There are more "must visit" restaurants in NYC than anywhere else in the country, so if you're planning on making this a culinary experience trip I would avoid trying to pigeon hole yourself into one type of restaurant.  Just my suggestion, of course.

Locanda Verde, Momofuku Ssam, Le Bernardin are some heavy hitters.  Bring your wallet, shame on you if you step foot in a national chain, and have fun.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 09:55:52 AM »
There are more "must visit" restaurants in NYC than anywhere else in the country, so if you're planning on making this a culinary experience trip I would avoid trying to pigeon hole yourself into one type of restaurant.  Just my suggestion, of course.

Locanda Verde, Momofuku Ssam, Le Bernardin are some heavy hitters.  Bring your wallet, shame on you if you step foot in a national chain, and have fun.

and make reservations early!  If using opentable, be prepared for a confirmation call day before or day of... and they WILL cancel if you don't confirm.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 10:06:31 AM »
and make reservations early!

Good point.  Most popular restaurants start taking reservations one month in advance to the numerical date.  In other words you're already more than a week late if that is your intention.  Others don't take reservations at all but in my experience there that was rare - Momofuku Ssam Bar was the only one that we visited that didn't (for dinner).  Of course, read up on your pizza places.  There are some good ones out there. 

Offline highbrow

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 06:01:27 PM »
thanks all yes I am working on it, anymore ideas Le Bernardin reservations made today, pizza is a must as my wife has never had NYC Pizza

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:54:47 AM »
We really enjoyed Luzzo's Pizza when we were there, though I'm certain there are others worthy of mention as well. 

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:14:44 AM »
Motorino is pretty tasty...though i only had it rewarmed from left over when i was visiting this past weekend for less than 24 hours.

Offline outtolunchatty

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 02:46:15 AM »
Babbo

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 06:54:04 AM »
Babbo

Good luck getting a decent time only a couple weeks out.

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 08:37:40 AM »
If you want a quick bite while out exploring and are in the downtown area, the gyros and knishes off a street cart are delightful snacks.
I've never had a gyro with such thick, succulent chunks of meat anywhere else.
Downstairs at Grand Central, there are a host of independent vendors in the food court offering an amazing array of American and international cheap eats.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:24:22 AM by mikeamor »
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 08:43:35 AM »
Babbo

I am not a Babbo fan except for the pastas.  It has really become a tourist trap and they don't treat them (tourists) very well.   Big push to turn tables.  Best way to eat there, to my mind, get there right when they open and eat at the really nice bar.  It always seems to be full of locals (professors).

I'd much prefer the front room at Gramercy Tavern or The Breslin.

And for a wonderful, romantic leisurely lunch: Bouley.

Offline outtolunchatty

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 07:58:40 PM »
Gramercy tavern is certainly great....I will say that last year wifey and i went straight to Babbos from the airport, with luggage, because at the last minute (I checked 2x daily) we scored a 6:30 reservation on a friday due to a cancellation.....tho im a native new yawker, we sure must have looked like touristas with the luggage in tow, but I cant say we were rushed at all....pasta was indeed great (particularly the love letter ravioli), but so was everything else....one of the best meals i've had in nyc in some time.......of course, I'm also happy at Carnegie Deli, Yonah Schimmel knishes, or BLT steak, so there you go.....

Offline largeleon

• Big guy getting smaller but still loves good food
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 01:08:08 PM »
Really enjoyed bricco on W 57th last time we went.  Friends all liked it.  Limoncello was a MUST
http://www.bricconyc.com

Some of the hole in the walls in Little Italy are always great. 
Friends and I always go to this place
http://www.lamelarestaurant.com/

The pastraimi at Katz Deli is amazing
http://www.katzdeli.com/

Carnegie is also a good choice for deli food  (I prefer Pastrami at Katz though)
http://www.carnegiedeli.com/home.php

Gray's Papaya Hot Dogs are amazing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray's_Papaya
But, I've heard that Papaya King is great too although I haven't made it there.

Peter Lugers is on my to-do list, but I've heard good things
http://www.peterluger.com/

Late night at Flute Bar for champagne was fun
http://www.flutebar.com/

Offline outtolunchatty

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 04:01:17 PM »
As a native new yawker, I liked and agreed with many of largeleons recs, tho i prefer nathans to papaya king or grays, and carnegie to katz, and I prefer pellegrinos over la mela if in little italy, .....one word of warning tho, if you're gonna make it a special meal, for what you pay (cash only, no less), i have never been to a place more full of its own hype and less deserving of it than lugers.....just my opinion, but not a top choice for me.......FWIW, the potatoes are really good, tho.....

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 05:39:31 PM »
Second to the Carnegie rec, even tho it's a tourist trap. Love the Reuben...