Author Topic: Building a better on-ramp to "the webs"  (Read 1369 times)

Offline CodePoet

• Global Moderator
Building a better on-ramp to "the webs"
« on: March 12, 2010, 07:55:43 PM »

Offline Daki

• Email
Re: Building a better on-ramp to "the webs"
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 07:41:02 AM »
I'm not a cell phone user (my super el-cheapo prepaid phone is used about 5 minutes/ month).  However I do love my netbook and e-reader (in addition to our regular desktop pcs). 

I originally bought the netbook so I could have a very lightweight and small computer to use when on vacation last year.  The netbook is now used in the kitchen to look up recipes (it's basically my recipe book now), outside on the deck, etc. My battery lasts about 6-7 hours or so and plug it in for recharging once or twice  week.

My husband and I also have e-readers (started off with Bookeen, but have since switched to Sony) and am a fan of the e-ink technology.  The e-readers don't sound like they would actually be a replacement for real books until you begin using them.  I'm still holding a book when I read (it's in a leather cover), but swipe the screen instead of turning a physical page.  There is significantly less clutter in the house now.  I guess it depends on your point of view whether that is good or bad, but so many of the fantasy/sci-fi books are not very good - maybe readable once but not enough to save.  Less clutter is good :)

Offline Barnum

Re: Building a better on-ramp to "the webs"
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 08:52:55 AM »
I like the foldover design, just not sure about the interface.

I have a plethora of systems that I use on a regular basis, from a high horsepower job with twin 32" landscape monitors at work, to a couple basic desktops for various purposes, to a 17" multimedia laptop, to a 10" asus netbook.  What do I like the most, the netbook!  I use it to remote into my work system so I can work anywhere on a basic system that is light weight with a good battery life.  I also like the fact that I have virtually nothing loaded on it other than antivirus software, a VPN client, and firefox.  I guess what I'm getting at is that I really like a "thin" platform but need a robust interface because I still want to use it to get to more powerful things.  Years and years ago, when hardware was expensive, thin lan clients briefly appeared as an option but quickly disappeared with cheap disk drives.  Now I'm starting to see people looking at virtual desktop options, whether its citrix or VM and I'll be interested to see if that becomes an actual option (to have a web hosted OS) as connection and interconnection speeds and bandwidth continues to grow.  I keep coming back, however, to having a full keyboard-like interface (not a touch screen!) on my device, even if it is basically a portal device....